Racing Accident

iceman

Today up in Mont Valin,

An accident today at lac Jalobert during the "Daytona Snow" drag races has claimed the life of a 26 yr old man from Jonquiere.

He was airlifted to Chicoutimi but succumb to his injuries.

Condolonces to the family.

Very sad. My condolences to family and friends as well.

I believe there was another accident/fatality at that event a couple years ago. The organizers really have to get a grip on safety or they will loose this for a fund raising event.

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/le-quotidi...op-de-sang.php

(ST FULGENCE) A sad accident came darken the presentation of the Daytona Snow 2011, yesterday on the ZEC Martin-Valin. A 25-year Jonquiérois tragically lost his life, morning, after being slammed into a wire stretched horizontally, riding his snowmobile.

The incident occurred around 10 am, before the start of drag racing on Lake Jalobert. The snowmobile was traveling at high speed along the runways for the competition, when he ventured into an area bounded by large orange cones. Witnesses said the speed was nearly 80 km / h.

He has obviously never saw the rope that connected the cones in question. The cable has reached the height of the chest before sliding up his neck. His body stood still a good fifty feet away and his machine, even beyond.

Two young volunteers saw the scene unfold before their eyes. They were the first to rescue the snowmobiler. "Arriving at his side, I first checked whether it was conscious, but it was not the case. Then I removed the clip on his helmet. Immediately, I saw that there was too much blood flowed. In the circumstances, we felt it was better not to move the body, "said Jean-Philippe Gaudreault, still slightly shaken by events in the afternoon.

Air Medic

They are rescuers Air Medic, present in the Daytona Snow, who administered first aid to the victim. "Two people immediately come to his rescue. They used the defibrillator. They tried to revive her for ten minutes at least, "said Jean-Philippe Gaudreault.

The maneuvers failed, the man was placed on a stretcher and was rushed by helicopter to hospital in Chicoutimi. His death has been found by medical personnel.

In the process, no appeal has been lodged with the Surete du Quebec. Only around 11 pm that the police were finally made aware of the accident. "Because the races, there were already several patrol officers who were on the scene. When we heard the news, we started an investigation, "said Sergeant Yves Dallaire, yesterday afternoon. All witnesses have not yet been met, Sgt Dallaire did not want to decide on the exact circumstances that led to the accident.

SQ investigators have spent the rest of the day there. "It's an investigation that could be quite long. There any evaluation of the site that may need to be done, "hinted the spokespersons of the SQ, Geneviève Bruneau, in the evening.

Read in-Progress Sunday.