Our Gaspe Trip

Saguenay Bill

Last Tuesday 5 of us left St Agatha, ME on what was planned as a 6 day trip around the Gaspe.

Day 1 Tuesday March 25

We left the Long Lake Motor Inn in St Agatha at 7:45 AM. Just before Fort Kent we came upon a moose standing in the middle of the trail. Waited for her to decide which way she wanted to go and then proceeded to the border crossing in Fort Kent. The custom gal was some kind of a looker. Got my eyeballs fertilized. Then we proceeded to NB trail 39 then to NB 12 and at the Quebec border we were on 85. In Degelis we took 569 to 548 to 546 to 5 and into Mont Joli, staying at the Mont Joli Motel for the night. Trails were great all day.

Day 2 Wednesday March 26

Left Mont Joli at 8AM bound for Mont St Pierre. Trails were great, weather was great and the scenery was super good.

Had a great lunch here at Chez Mamie

Day 3 Thursday March 27

Wed night-Thursday morning we had about 4" of snow and 50 MPH wind in MSP. Left around 9AM.Just out side of St Louis we came upon a couple from Riverview, NB who knew Andyman. Yhey had comeupon a huge drift. We all made it through. that dift but continued to come upon more of them. Slow going for sure.Trails into Grand Valley were not visable and we ended up on Rt 132 about 8 km west of Grand Vallee. Took the road into Grand Vallee, gased up and headed east on 5. Came upon a very big drift about 3 miles from GV. Tried to go through it but was there 2 hours digging out the first 3 sleds. After getting them out it was about 5PM so we decided to call it a day, 75 miles for the day. Stayed at the Grand Vallee Hotel, great place and great food.

Day 4 Friday March 28

We decided to continue heading eastas we were told trails had been groomer into Fox River. Got out about 3 miles from GV and met 2 Vermonters, who we had met at MSP. They told us the trail heading east past Petite Vallee were not groomed and they had come upon 8' high drifts. So we decided to head back west. Trails had been groomed, for about 3 miles. Came upon groomer. He had dropped the drag and was going to plow snow. He told us he would be about 1 and 1/2 hours doing it and that the next club had groomed. After 1 and 1/2 hours we could still hear his reverse beeper going off so we knew he had tough going. Decided to head back to GV and grab something to eat. Then we decided to head east. Went into PV for gas. Groomer trail ended in PV but we decided to continue east. One of the guys got buried in a large drift. While trying to get out 2 local guys, Joe and Jean came along and helped us get it out. They told us they would take us to the relais on 5. About 10 miles later we were at the relais. Then they made a couple of calls and told us that Fox River had groomer that morning. They told usm they would take us to the point where FR had groomed. Good thing they did otherwise we would have been on that mountain until a groomer came thru. They both had off trail machine, not Johnny Standup or Bobby Boondocker sleds but Skandics. When we got 15 miles from FR the trails were indeed groomed. Got to the Caribou Inn at 5PM, 80 miles for the day. Thought I had pictures of Joe and Jean but I screwed up again, sorry Joe and Jean.

Day 5 Sat March 29

Woke up to 6" of new fluffy snow. We were told that the trails had been groomed to Gaspe, not true. After 8 miles of fighting the trails 3 of us decided to pull the plug. Went back to the Caribou Inn and called the owner of the Long Lake Motor Inn, Ken L, to come and get us. We hired a guy to take us to Gaspe where we met Ken L. Got back to St Agatha at 11PM.

Yup I see no pics either......always an adventure Bill

At lunch in MSP on Friday we met a couple from Ontario and a pair of french guys from QC that were in GV earlier that morning and had hired a flat bed to Madeleine because of the drifts, they told me they had met you Bill in GV.

Too bad you continued east Bill, the 597 to Murdockville and trails west of there were all groomed.

Snowmobiling is always an adventure