Three days in the Gaspe

smclelan

A group of five of us went up for a short Gaspesie Tour last week.

Friday March 7. The trails as usual were very good and it was sunny and about 1*c. We started from Pointe a la Croix and headed west on the TQ 5 till we came to the 587 and followed it to Albertville. The trails were perfect with very little traffic. However travelling this way we didn't travel on any of Groomers trails. We did however meet him at his clubhouse for lunch. From there we continued on the 587 up through Redemption up to Mont Joli where we got on the TQ 5 and onto Matane where we stayed at the Quality Inn. There were three of us in one room so we asked for the corner suite. This is a great room for three with two large double beds and a fold out couch. It also has a large table comfy chairs and a propane fireplace.

Saturday March 8. We traveled the TQ 5 along the north shore, trails again were very good. One of the riders in the group was on his first trip to the Gaspesie, he was looking forward to the sites. This was not the day to see any scenery, it snowed hard all day making visibility very limited. On this day we traveled to a fishing outfitter on the TQ 5 just past the top of the 597. Camp Haute Madeleine was by far the nicest spot I have stayed at in the Gaspesie. The log cabins were very nice and would sleep up to 7 people. We landed mid afternoon and went for a ride locally, when we agot back they waited about 10 minutes, long enough for us to get our suits off and landed with two big trays of brushetta, and said that should hold us to supper.The food was very very good and plentiful. You didn't leave the table hungry there. The hosts Joanne and Gill were quite accomadating. Joanne was a little better with english than Gill, both were limited, we however had no problem getting what we needed. They prepared your meals for what ever time you request. The cabins are located on a lake 1km off the TQ 5. I would strongly recommend this place and will return myself for sure.

Sunday March 9. It snowed very hard all morning, this is the same day Montreal got 50 cm. We pulled out and traveled down the 597 to Murdochville. We got to the gas station, gassed up, paid for the gas, and all went to the bathroom. This may have taken 10 minutes, when we went back out you could not see the tracks where we rode in. Now thats snowing! We struck off from there to go cross country to La Cache. This trail usually takes 1hr 15min to 1hr 20min, we were over 3 hours getting through. In most places there was no evidence of the trail, you had to travel by looking ahead to the next maker which was very hard with the limited visibility. Things cleared out by the time we hit La Cache, and from there down to the ski hill we busted the first track through 16" of fresh snow all the way. The SDI took a little more gas in New Richmond that time. From New Richmond to the truck the trails were a little rough from drifting. Where the storm just ended the groomers hadn't got out yet.

Total distance for the trip was 720 mile. It is great to have such a great snowmobile area only 4 hrs drive from your door. This was my third trip to QC this season, I am not ruling out another run. Here are a couple of the pics I took along the way.

A beautiful day on the 587

Outside Matane

The bus at Sainte Anne Des Monts

The most photographed sign in the Gaspe

Camp Haute Madeleine (two thumbs up)

A bit on snow on a cabin by Camp Haute Madeleine

288 foot Cable Bridge

MACDAV stepped off the 595, he didn't think he was touching bottom.