How much will it cost?

scorpionbowl

Every year you see the same reports...How much it costs to take a family to a ballgame, How much thanksgiving dinner will cost, How much we spend on xmas gifts, etc...I figured I'd give it a shot for a typical 7-day snowmobile trip in Quebec. This year I estimate the cost to be $1855 [uS]. Of course this excludes the cost of the sled, truck, trailer, and breakdowns. Here's how I arrived at that figure...

I have had a rule of thumb the last few years of $1.00can/ mile. About the only thing I don't calculate that you did would be belt cost. I have not replaced a belt on the trail in at least 10yrs. I do however put a new one on every season as part of my pre-season prep. I think anyone that uses yours or my number will be very close. I like to eat steak and likely have somewhere around 4 -6 beer per day. So in my opinion you enojoy your trip for a reasonable price. The cost is not much different that going to Cuba for a week.

Then add in my blown motor, $1,200 and that was a deal, $260 for tow back to HI from Onatchiway, sled rental on Monday while motor was being rebuilt, $250, rolled rental $360. the hits just keep on coming. This is a TRUE story. But it is not cheap...

And I can't wait for snow to do it again.

:vava:

I have had a rule of thumb the last few years of $1.00can/ mile. About the only thing I don't calculate that you did would be belt cost. I have not replaced a belt on the trail in at least 10yrs. I do however put a new one on every season as part of my pre-season prep. I think anyone that uses yours or my number will be very close. I like to eat steak and likely have somewhere around 4 -6 beer per day. So in my opinion you enojoy your trip for a reasonable price. The cost is not much different that going to Cuba for a week.

Yep.......I agree with you.not much different that going to Cuba for a week.

$1.00can/ mile: Make sense to me.

all of this makes great sense. the buck a mile matrix sure seems pretty close to accurate. just one caveat. till you accomplish the exchange nick, you can very well stop worrying about the difference between the US and CAD dollar. seems we must get used to money being close to parity, eh?

riding in la Belle Province remains one of the great bargains of the recreational world.

timbo

That spreadsheet is for a "typical" person. For my costs, MPG goes down to 12.5, miles go up to 300, total PQ riding days about 30, beer up to 6, and I didn't count the bottle of vodka. Total for the week $2209.

you do get the worst mileage I've seen for an SDI

I was thinking it could be done for $150 day but you've pretty much hit on everything, guess I just didn't want to admit how much I spend when I go there. Add on the 75 cents a mile of depreciation on a sled and it's an expensive hobby. Maybe I'll just sell all my stuff

then again maybe I'll see you in Nov in Quebec because it's worth every penny.

I really isn't that much in my opinion. Food is cheap, hotels are reasonable if you don't mind bunkin up with a partner, gas is expensive but I figure 100-125 a day and as long as you stay out of the night spots you can get by for that.

you do get the worst mileage I've seen for an SDI

I was thinking it could be done for $150 day but you've pretty much hit on everything, guess I just didn't want to admit how much I spend when I go there. Add on the 75 cents a mile of depreciation on a sled and it's an expensive hobby. Maybe I'll just sell all my stuff

then again maybe I'll see you in Nov in Quebec because it's worth every penny.

I used to be in denial, on the 12.5 mpg [and just drinking 2 beers a day], but then reality struck. I can easily get 18+ mpg when holding 1/2 throttle. That happened last year for 100 miles with a bad jack shaft bearing. I wish i had my ipod it was so boring [well it was at night]. In my opinion, if you want to ride hard, fast, and safe...you have to work the throttle and brake very hard [and not listen to the ipod, or drink], especially when following an Apex [which gets 19 mpg all the time], and all that that kills mileage. Another big hit to mileage is cranking the ski pressure with fresh snow to keep up the speed in the corners [for safety] at the expense of top end speed. My avg mileage also includes spring weather and rainy conditions, which unfortunately is becoming more common. I'm also following the same type of sled which gets the same mileage.

For the last few years I've read the posts of some gade's getting 20+ mpg and others that get 10 mpg. When considering buying a gade, i was surprised at the variation, but after riding one, it's not the sled [for the most part] it's the driving style and environment. FYI Legend, i think if you drive your sled like your SUV, you'd be closer to 12 mpg :)

On my 800 PT Gade, I get 14 to 18. As you said "the driving style and environment" plays a big part.

At the pumps, it cost me one or two bucks more then the 600 sdi's and even my wife's 550 fan.

A couple of seasons ago up at Mt Vallins, we was riding with a couple of people who had brand new 600's and they ran out of gas.

I was thinking they used more because they have not been broken in?