new regulation regarding winter tires in Québec

Mid Range

ok guys outside Québec......extra money in your pocket

http://www.mtq.gouv.qc.ca/portal/page/port...ion_pneus_hiver

During what part of the year is the use of snows tires mandatory in Québec?

Under the Highway Safety Code, all taxis and passenger vehicles registered in Québec must be equipped with tires specifically designed for winter driving from December 15 to March 15. This also applies to passenger vehicles for rent in Québec. This measure will come into effect by decree in the fall of 2008.

What is the purpose of introducing this measure into the Highway Safety Code?

This new measure is designed to increase highway safety.

Information collected in 2005 shows that 38% of the accidents that occur during the winter involve at least one vehicle that is equipped with all-season tires. These vehicles are therefore strongly overrepresented in these accidents. In addition, the proportion of the occurrence of loss of control is even higher when the vehicles involved are equipped with all-season tires.

Tires that are designed specifically for winter driving conditions are a safe solution for driving in winter. They are designed to achieve maximum adherence on snow or ice covered surfaces.

What types of vehicles will have to be equipped with tires specifically designed for winter driving?

This measure is directed at taxis and passenger vehicles that are registered in Québec, as well as passenger vehicles that are rented in Québec.

What is the definition of winter tires?

The draft regulation, published on July 9, 2008 in the Gazette officielle du Québec, defines tires specifically designed for winter driving as those that meet one of the following criteria prior to December 15, 2014:

Tires on which one of the following inscriptions appear: Arctic, Blizzard, Ice, LT, Snow (but not mud and snow), Stud or Winter.

or

Tires on which the icon representing a mountain with a superimposed snowflake appears.

Starting on December 15, 2014, the draft regulation specifies that only those tires on which the icon representing the mountain with the superimposed snowflake appears shall be considered to be winter tires.

It is important to note that the draft regulation has not yet been adopted and that it may be improved upon following comments that may be sent to the Minister over the course of the 45-day period following the publication of the draft regulation in the Gazette officielle du Québec.

In which cases does the mandatory requirement to equip vehicles with tires specifically designed for winter driving not apply?

Winter tires are not mandatory for:

the emergency tires on taxis on passenger vehicles;

passenger vehicles with temporary registration plates (X);

motor homes, or vehicles that have been permanently outfitted as dwellings;

vehicles for which the Société de l’assurance automobile du Québec (SAAQ) has issued certificates for a period of seven days, to a maximum of four certificates for the period in question.

Under what circumstances may the SAAQ issue a certificate authorizing the operation of a passenger vehicle or a taxi, if applicable, without winter tires?

The acquisition of a vehicle, in order to make it possible to equip the vehicle with winter tires;

The use of a vehicle for the purpose of leaving or entering Québec;

When moving a vehicle from the establishment of a vehicle dealer to a site for its sale at an auction or from such a site to the establishment of such a dealer;

The portion of a trip that constitutes the return to a departure point situated outside of Québec which, upon expiry of the rental period, is left in Québec by the renter.

Are vehicles from outside of Québec affected by this measure?

No, with the exception of certain rental vehicles. The legislative provision applies to vehicles (taxis and passenger vehicles) registered in Québec, as well as to passenger vehicles that are rented in Québec (regardless of where they are registered).

How many winter tires must be used?

All the tires on the vehicle must be tires specifically designed for winter driving.

Are there fines for offenders?

Yes, fines range from $200 to $300.

Are demerit points deducted for such offences?

No.

What about vehicle models for which winter tires are not available?

Vehicles for which winter tires are not available shall be excluded, by Departmental order, from the mandatory use of tires specifically designed for winter driving. Because the vehicles in question will change from year to year and because they may only become known quite late in the season, this Departmental order shall be published annually.

Have provisions been made for those who go south for the winter?

The owners of passenger vehicles who use their vehicles to leave or come back to Québec may obtain a certificate from the Société de l’assurance automobile du Québec authorizing the operation of such vehicles without tires specifically designed for winter driving for a period of seven days.

During the period from December 15 to March 15, the Société may not issue more than four certificates for a given vehicle.

The draft regulation for mandatory winter tires shall not apply to motor homes.

Who will enforce the law?

For passenger vehicles, enforcement of the law is the responsibility of police departments.

Is there a grace period?

There is nos grace period allocated for this law.

Is it okay to use winter tires that are extremely worn down?

The Highway Safety Code already specifies that vehicular equipment (including tires) must be in good condition. The Regulation respecting safety standards for road vehicles specifies that the depth of the tire tread or main groove must not be less than 1.6 mm for a vehicle that weighs less than 3000 kg.

How many vehicles will this mandatory measure (winter tires) effect?

This measure applies to all passenger vehicles and taxis registered in Québec, as well as all passenger vehicles rented in Québec. Depending on the number of vehicles registered, it can be estimated that approximately 4.5 million vehicles will be affected by this measure. According to our data, 90% of passenger vehicles already have winter tires.

However, it is important to note that the definition of passenger vehicles specified in the Regulation respecting safety standards for road vehicles is different from the one that is specified in the HSC. It is therefore very difficult to assess with precision the number of vehicles effected. This is all the more true given that some vehicles that are rented in Québec may be registered outside of Québec.

I just bought last year for my chevrolet tahoe some destination a/t tires which are m&S tires, mud and snow, under what I read this is not going to be allowed. I spent 600$ on them and they are brand new and I drove them all year without any problem, the tires were great and had great traction! Now I cannot use them and need to get winter only that is crazy, am I reading this correctly, I think I will take my chances this year and change them next year, I do not drive the truck much in the summer so anyway it is crazy to buy another set considering I have to buy a set for the car....