Snowmobile Jackets, Pants and Boots

kgallis

Greetings fellow riders!

I had the opportunity to ride with Bill and MikeRider last year on Mt Valin in some really cold temperatures, ranging from -20 to -35 C, and I have to say that I froze my balls off. I am interested in picking up some gear suited for cold temperatures- boots, jacket and pants. I am considering leather and also a layered Goretex system (such as Kilm). What do you guys wear, and what are the pro's/con's of each? I will also be purchasing a tekvest this year, so it will have to fit under the jacket that I choose.

Think Snow,

Karl

I am brand loyal, don't know why?

But I have all Ski-Doo RPM gear, I have been out in -25 up at Valins and I was warm except for my hands.

I am getting some new gloves for this season for sure.

Its comfortable gear, the worse part about it is, it's quite heavy, but I feel protected with it, so I am a happy rider!

Here's what I used last year for the ~80 miles [wide-open] railroad track run from Chibougamu to Senneterre, in -35c weather, and part of a 400 miles day. I wasn't cold, but you cold feel your core temperature dropping after the 12 hour day [nothing a cold beer can't fix].

1. Polartec base layer, pants/shirt.

2. Polartec heavy wieight pants.

3. Long sleeve shirt with a stick-on disposable body warmer.

4. Polartec heavy weight pull-over.

5. Reima [before Scott] gortex lined bibs and jacket.

6. Sock liners, wool socks, baffin boots.

7. Thin gloves, hand-warmers, gauntlets.

Once you have that [or similar], you can mix and match for any weather.

I wear the following on real cold days

Armor wear T shirt, or cotton

cotton shorts

Polortec long johns and top

Polortec pants

Polortec top, I also pack another Reima polortec top and use if needed.

Tech vest

SD leather suit

SD gauntlets

Glove liners

Beaverskin mitts, which on bought from a trapper on LSJ, with these hand warmers are on/off all day. Gloves don't cut it on real cold days. I use gloves when temp is 0F or above.

cotton socks

Mario Bilodeau made seal skin boots, these are the greatest boots you can buy, IMO. Have had 2 pair in the past 20 years.

I am looking at Klim to replace my SD leathers as they are beginning to show the wear. They have close to 80,000 miles of riding on them.

You can't beat Gortex.

Wicking skiing socks

EC2 base layer from RUOutside

Easter Mountain Sports Goretex Ski pants

Some kind of shirt, jersey or sweatshirt

Yamaha Reima Goretex jacket

Sorel Caribou boots

RUOutside Goretex gloves

If its really cold

I substitute for a heavier polartec base layer from EMS

Maybe 2 pairs of socks

Add a turtleneck

Maybe Add a fleece pullover which I keep on the sled

Wear a Balaclava

Glove liners

T-shirt-Preferably snowmobile themed $??

Discount Skidoo brand Jacket from Kayahora $59

Wal-Mart sweat pants $12

Chocko snow pants $100 Getting pricy here!!!

Tube socks- $2 White or slightly yellowing...

Low buget Kamick snow boots... $60

I also pack a sweatshirt and SkiDoo gauntlets for those days below 0......

Oh yeah of course the Tek vest too!!!

This is good to -20F or so.

The part I have trouble with is wind leaks around the helmet.....

I thought cotton was not good close to your skin. They recomend poloyprobaleen (speeling?)

I have the poloy long john setup with heavy cotton and/or fleece.

I tried the glove liners and my hands seem to get colder,

I wear the following on real cold days

Armor wear T shirt, or cotton

cotton shorts

Polortec long johns and top

Polortec pants

Polortec top, I also pack another Reima polortec top and use if needed.

Tech vest

SD leather suit

SD gauntlets

Glove liners

Beaverskin mitts, which on bought from a trapper on LSJ, with these hand warmers are on/off all day. Gloves don't cut it on real cold days. I use gloves when temp is 0F or above.

cotton socks

Mario Bilodeau made seal skin boots, these are the greatest boots you can buy, IMO. Have had 2 pair in the past 20 years.

I am looking at Klim to replace my SD leathers as they are beginning to show the wear. They have close to 80,000 miles of riding on them.

I was actually favoring leathers due to their weight (heavier) and ability to stop the wind (the rev does not offer much wind protection). Does the Kilm system offer an advantage over leather?

KLIM all the way. My brothers and I have used many things, but KLIM just WORKS. My brothers sled has a mesh hood and no real windshield, on the morning at the Hi it was -17 without the wind he was warm.

Later

Gutz

lightweight cabela poly socks

cabelas polartec midweight long johns

heavy weight polartec pants

heavy or medium weight polartec shirt

tek vest

Klim goretex jacket- up 2 sizes from normal they run small

cabela goretex thinsulate insulated bibs- best deal on goretex bibs i have found.

castle X fusion boots

great at cold temps and enough layers to drop on warmer days. I do carry a liner from my old arctiva jacket to put on if it gets real cold but have yet to use it down to 15 below or so. Tekvest does a great job keeping your core warm just wish they made snap on sleeves for it so you were evenly layered, arms can get a bit cold at times when you layer for the body.

I was actually favoring leathers due to their weight (heavier) and ability to stop the wind (the rev does not offer much wind protection). Does the Kilm system offer an advantage over leather?

Leathers are much more weight than the non leathers. I've had leathers for past 20 years. I've talked to a lot of guy that wear Klim and all have had good reports. I'll also look at Chocko.

I wear Choko jacket, pants, boots, Claw Mitts and RU Outside EC2 base layer. I can quite honestly say I have never been cold while sledding.

It's that Maritime tempering that you have enjoyed for your whole life that aids your battle with the cold Steven!!

I jumped big on the layering theme about 5 or 6 years ago. Got rid of my Reima Jacket (Haikonnen. remember when Toni was the Reima poster boy???) and my reima bibs. Started layering with a Klimb goretex shell, over mid weight fleece vest, over a windstopper (light) jacket; over a thermax t-neck top. My bottoms are the Cabela reima nock-off goretex bibs that they introduced about 5 years ago. They come in "longs" and they work just great over a mid-weight pair of fleece trou. When it is jumbo cold, below minus 25F, I add a pair of lightweight thermax long underwear bottoms if I'm contemplating a speedy ride like the railroad grade from Lebel sur Quevion to Chapais.

Last year, when i turned the big 60, in a gesture to accomodate my advancing years and growing penchant for bodily comfort, I traded in the Klimb goretex shell for the new Klimb insulated goretex jacket that they came out with last year (i believe it is the "Klimate"????) Anyhoo, it is real similar to the Klimb shells i used before; jumbo pit zips and two other vent zips; and the insulation is fairly light. Very comfy. I layer under it just like i did before. When it's really warm in the spring, i just wear the windstopper top over a lite polypro "T".

I wear Altimate Boots (made by Baffin). Have for over 10 years. Best boots made for snowmobiling, imho.

timbo

Great topic, couple years ago coming down from HI to St Raymond the thermo read -42c which is about -42f and it was friggin cold. I'm hardly ever cold but that night was bad. I wear a Arctiva jacket and Reima G Tex bibs and I'm comfortable most nights but I think I will start looking for some of the new high tech under garments to augment my gearbag. The Apex grips are a little weak so I will also do the upgrade on that. Also if you have the low stock windshield some of the new iron comes with, toss that. Lesson learned.

Great topic, couple years ago coming down from HI to St Raymond the thermo read -42c which is about -42f and it was friggin cold. I'm hardly ever cold but that night was bad. I wear a Arctiva jacket and Reima G Tex bibs and I'm comfortable most nights but I think I will start looking for some of the new high tech under garments to augment my gearbag. The Apex grips are a little weak so I will also do the upgrade on that. Also if you have the low stock windshield some of the new iron comes with, toss that. Lesson learned.

I made that ride this past January ?-40C/F at night. You couldn't stop for long unless you were at a relais. We hated to leave LeTape but no room at the inn. 2 guys didn't go and got picked up. First time ever my feet were cold in my Sorels. BTW DEALER updated Apex grips were fine for me that night.

I made that ride this past January ?-40C/F at night. You couldn't stop for long unless you were at a relais. We hated to leave LeTape but no room at the inn. 2 guys didn't go and got picked up. First time ever my feet were cold in my Sorels. BTW DEALER updated Apex grips were fine for me that night.

Yah, I never really got around to getting the upgrade...............it's in the shop getting the shock wire fixed so I'll give him a jingle and have him slap on the new bars................-40 is no fun IMO but better than sitting home watching tV

I have a 8 year old very threadbare Reima suit that is no longer water repellent. I'm in the market for a new suit this fall. Underneath I wear a Tekvest, a Polartec layer (either 200 or 300 weight depending on the temp), and thermax undershirt. Flannel-lined jeans, and Baffin boots, a size larger than normal to give plenty of room for socks and to wiggle my toes.

I'll be trying out a BV2s this year, I've heard it is a very warm helmet.

Polartec base layer and EC2 pants & turtleneck under -25C, just the base layer over that. Reima jacket & bibs. Goretex socks & Altimate boots (feet don't get cold on a Rev). Ski-Doo modular lid with electric shield and throw away the mouthpiece. BUT the most important thing is a REAL windshield. :D

Wayne