western quebec

viper2

planning a saddlebag trip for feb. for western quebec,does anyone know of any new trails or reroutes or even closings?not sure where we are leaving from yet probably manawaki or temiscaming or possibly even st. zenon but def. plan to hit western border up to matagami then chibougamau.any info is app., i haven't been in that area for a few years.i saw last year there was a trail closed in the area of the forest fire ?TQ63 and also there has been some chatter of the clova road being groomed this year.looking for something a little different this year did gaspe last year and prev. 2 years did lac st. jean. :rofl:

Hi Viper,

If I remember correctly, I think trail 63 was closed in the Le Domaine area. Maybe loggin activities? :sad:

Trail 83 had a fire between Lac Faillon and Clova. Forsythe (gas / restaurant stop near Lac Attic) and some of the bridges had burned in the fire. The trail was rerouted around Pourvoire Balbuzard. If you were heading east, the trail was OK to follow. It ran a road for quite a few miles (10?). Then the detour hooked back up to the original trail on the east side of Balbuzard. There was a cul de sac into Balbuzard, which appeared to be the main trail if you were heading west. At that end, the detour wasn't marked as well. :sad: A lot of riders ended up at Balbuzard, only to u-turn and head back to the detour. The bridges may be rebuilt by now but I don't think Forsythe would be.

I've read on other threads that trail 93, which had limited gas stops last year, may be worse. The gas stop on the railroad tracks near Miquelon (north of Label sur Quevillon) and the loggin camp between Chibougamau and Lac St Jean are both in question for this year.

With that said, pay attention to gas as always.

We always try to make an overnight at Hotel Amosphere. They have an outdoor hot tub now. :clapping: Good food and great workers there. We broke a motor in Amos last year and the hotel let us leave half of our luggage there for 3 days while we went and got the truck. No issues with anything missing.

The riding in western Quebec is great. Not as much traffic and superb trails. Happy riding. Hope you make it out there this year.

Jack

Thanks for the reply Jack.i have not stayed at the Hotel Amosphere before,will have to try and hit that one this year.like i said i haven't ridden that area for a few years but i agree there was usually little traffic.i do remember seeing a post last year of Forsythe with just the chimney standing! I have never been to Matagami so i am looking forward to seeing that and also giving piston alley a shot with my new Apex. It will be nice to do that without having to worry about running out of gas.as for amos the only time i was there was a ride in a rollback with a freind who burned a piston in his new polaris 700 triple. Have fun this year and stay safe. :drinks::good: