St-Zenon/ Riviere Mattawin 20 février 2010

towing

for the 2nd consecutive weekend, we had started our ride from la Glaciere in St-Zenon

DSC07741Medium.jpg

The target was to go eat at Rivière Mattawin via #345/#360 trails. Here the day route from my Spot beacon device..

12erideMedium.jpg

Weather goes from light snow to full sunny sky throuhgt the day. It had fall some snow during the week, varying from 1 to 3" depending where, not much but very welcome !!! We started on #350 trail infront La Glaciere to catch the #345. The trail was freshly groommed with a couple inches fluffy stuff on hard base..

DSC07743Medium.jpg

The #345 to Cabanon was in very nice condition...

DSC07749Medium.jpg

DSC07750Medium.jpg

We continued on #345 to the dam...

DSC07753Medium.jpg

Trails had just a little tint around the Cabanon

DSC07754Medium.jpg

and came back perfect a little farther where the trail is in the Mastigouche reserve road

DSC07755Medium.jpg

We quickly arrivied at the dam. Look how the level is down...

DSC07760Medium.jpg

Here a comparison pic from my first ride in december to see the difference..

DSC06338LargeMedium.jpg

To be continued...

On the other side, in Mattawin direction the trail was good...

DSC07768Medium.jpg

And passed the intersection Repos/Manawan, it was crazy good... 10/10

DSC07776Medium.jpg

A little pic break at one of my preferred spot...

DSC07785Medium.jpg

DSC07784Medium.jpg

And we continued on very good condition...

DSC07799Medium.jpg

The conditions stay wonderful up to the limit of Chapeau de Paille ZEC (territory). On the remaining 8 miles to Mattawin, some spot are less good with dirty snow...

DSC07802Medium.jpg

The classic view of the river (it's the car road on the river border)

DSC07804Medium.jpg

And other spots that are good...

DSC07805Medium.jpg

We took the lunch and fuel up at Rivière Mattawin. I will need to take caution with my new helmet... I need to smile on pics... Lolll

DSC07810Medium.jpg

And we came back on the same #360. Conditions were so nice that it was'nt a sacrifice to did it round-trip

DSC07811Medium.jpg

To be continued...

We never wish to need that but for information, on the #360 around 25 miles from Mattawin near a little bunch of cottages near the trail, there is this site identified for helicopter medical evacuation...

DSC07817Medium.jpg

Very nice riding...

DSC07821Medium.jpg

I stopped to look at the old broken Bailey bridge on Mattawin river around 25 miles down the dam. For those who had rode Lanaudiere in the 90 years, the trail was crossing the river on that bridge in place of on the dam before vandals damaged it with fire. Until last year it was still there...

P1030674Medium.jpg

As Viper2 told me earlier this season, the old bride had been removed this summer. I heard that this is part of the modification plans to trail system because of Mt-Tremblant park closures to replace this bridge and link the #360 to Mastigouche reserve and use the potentiel of reserve to open new trails in there. Maybe we will have some new trails on this side in near future...

DSC07824Medium.jpg

And we came back to the dam...

DSC07825Medium.jpg

To make a little different, we choosed to keep the #360 trail to go round on the west side of the lake. The first part up to the #33 intersection was perfect

DSC07829Medium.jpg

The next part up to Lac Taureau auberge was less good, very bumpy even it's not evident on this pic

DSC07834Medium.jpg

from the auberge, we reached St-Michel via the lake... the bottom of the lake in fact. It's too bad it was already too dark for good pics because it was impressive to see how deep we were and looking at the cottage quays, 40 feets in the air...

DSC07865Medium.jpg

It was lower than last weekend...

DSC07871Medium.jpg

We fueled-up at St-Michel and took the #318 in Cabanon direction. It was pretty ruff around St-Michel and in the first miles in the big drops. The snow was dirty and there was huge bumps in the drops. The snow cover came back ok around 5 miles away from St-Michel but the trail was very bumpy up to Cabanon.

We came back at our starting point by the same trail from the morning. We were just a little too early and passed the dozer that was just leaving the Cabanon in south direction. The day traffic had did his job and we got moderate bumps trail to get back at la Glaciere. Total: 225miles on dreameter

We all hope that the snow previews will be right for this week, accuweather still preview between 8" to 15" inches up to next saturday. Just 6" would be really nice to shape up the trails, 15" would be a dream !!! stay tune.....

Alain