SUMMER TRAIL RIDE

GOOSE

After problems with my quad on a ride around Lac St. Jean last month I decided to upgrade to a 2011 Polaris RZR side by side. After 12 years of summer quad riding in Quebec, the side by side is the the way to go. The RZR at 50" wide fits on the trails and bridges. Plus there is plenty for room for extra gas and bags. and you can bring a friend along. Did a 4 day ,500 mile ride a couple of weeks ago. Started in Mt. Lauier to Maniwaki, devils mt. (s.e. of maniwaki in Notre-Dame-Du-Laus), DuHamel, Zec Mazana, Reserve Fanique Rouge-Matawin.

post-328-0-13386200-1314329243_thumb.jpg

post-328-0-63909300-1314329295_thumb.jpg

post-328-0-54158400-1314329405_thumb.jpg

Hi George, yes you can ride the Clova area. Parent to Clova to Senneterre is mostly dirt roads. Mt. Laurier to Clova is a good place to ride as there is a lot of outfitters to stay and get gas at.. Get as many topo and zec maps of the area you want to ride. This is mostly how I navigate, as the quad trail maps are very limited. Every year there are more and more quad clubs expanding there trail maps. Also I use gps with topo maps. Carry extra gas. I do not ride any later than September as it can be 40 degrees and pouring rain. Not fun. Also in October you will get snow. If you are just doing day rides this can be fun. But if you are on a trip a snow storm on a quad can be disastrous. This is why I enjoy riding in the summer. You can ride it the rain but it will be 70 or 80 degrees out.. I'll try post some more photos.

post-328-0-79853200-1314561053_thumb.jpg

post-328-0-66941900-1314561130_thumb.jpg

post-328-0-16023300-1314561369_thumb.jpg

Goose, thanks for the info and the pics. Looks like you hit all the hot spots; Clova, Sweet baby St-Ray, TQ23, and last but not least, the Great Gaspe. Where would you recommend a first timer try? Asides from the obvious Gaspe, where are the really neat places that bring the most enjoyable woods riding? I would like to go up to the Rabaska, and head to Clova for a week-end ride. Is there anything I should know? Remember I have never done that L'epine rd. on anything but a sled. I think Dominic has a great place, and I think I could leave the Rabaska Saturday morning and make it to CLova before nightfall, and head back the same way Sunday. What do you think?

Je me Souviens i have atved the Baskatong area and its Pourvouries as well as Parent and Clova area. However, i have never done the Lepine road by atv but judging from previous trips up there i'm asuming Rabaska to Clova would take you no more than 4-5 hrs to ride maybe even less if the road is in good shape.

I road many times from L'Annociation to Parent and this ride usually took us 4 hrs. The road half way up is quite twisty and narrow but the top half we were averaging speeds between 40-50 mpg. I know the Lepine road is not far from Rabaska say 30k at most and if the Lepine road is in good shape i'm sure it will take no time at all to get up there.

Good luck and post some pics when you get up there.

Je me Souviens, to answer some of your questions. I would recommend a first timers try the Mt. Laurier area. But in reality any area in Quebec you are familiar with or have a desire to ride , go. Mt. Laurier to the south, to Maniwaki, Norte-Dame Du Laus, DuHamel, Reserve Papineau. There are a lot of woods trails. Mt. Laurier north to Clova, Parent is mostly dirt roads. The area Mt. Laurier to Clova and Parent there are a lot of outfitters. Places you can stay and get gas: Club Gatineau, Club Rabaska, Club Notowassi, Club Fontbrune, Club Mekoo's Club Beauregard, Club JB Scott, 100 lakes, Chevell.

As for enjoyable woods riding there are plenty of woods trails off of these dirt roads, where they go are for you to find out. You may want to consider riding in the many Zecs and Reserves as these offer thousands of miles of dirt roads and woods goat path trails.

L'epine road is a dirt road with some high speed sections up to Clova. I recommend from Club Gatineau after you cross the river Gatineau take the woods trail on your right. It follows the river than goes up to Clova.

The dirt road riding gets boring to me, you may have well loaded up a SUV and take that. But if you need to get somewhere you can do 200 miles a day riding dirt roads. As Trailblazer said you can ride Rabaska to Clova in 1 day. so yes you can do this trip in 2 days.

I would recommend you take 3 days and start in Mt. Laurier . The 1st. day get your maps, registration and ride to chutes Windigo and up to Devils Mt. Then to the Rabaska. 2nd day to Clova. 3rd to Parent then back to Mt. Laurier . This would be all dirt road riding. Or from Clova back to Mt. Laurier and check out some woods trails. If you want information on where to get maps, registration and secure truck parking in Mt. Laurier pm me