Bypass for closed part of Linear Parc??

timbo

Those of us who remember Laurentides in its snowmobiling hay-day will think fondly of when the Parc Linear of the Petit Train du Nord ran from Val David to Mont Laurier. It was a marvelous ride that offered a lot of interconnectivity for folks going both north and south, and east and west thru the whole central part of the Province. Unfortunately a bunch of cottager, "I've got Mine'ers" prevailed upon the Provincial court system, and had a key section of the linear park in the Mont Tremblant area shut down. From Lac Carre, on up north past St-Jovite and Tremblant, the linear parc was closed to snowmobiling. This closure dealt an especially hard blow to the once jumbo club at Ste-Agathe, which was the first snowmobile club in Quebec of any significance, with membership in the thousands.

To those of us who were into long distance saddlebagging, this was not a good event.

Recently while I was in St-Donat a couple of local gentlemen who are snowmobilers informed me that they believed that substantial progress was being made in the St-Jovite area and that a "by pass" was in the works that would it would be possible to get from the stubbed-off ends of the linear parc, around a new "alternative route", and resume travel on the railbed. These same gents predicted that all would be in good order with the "new" trail from St-Donat to Coin Lavigne,( bypassing the St-Donat park gate, as well as Caribou), keeping sleds out of Tremblant Parc. This was the section the Club tried to have ready during the middle of last riding season but could not get opened due to insufficient snow for grooming the new disturbed areas because of not enought snowcover in mid-winter. Some of us with more enthusiasm than brains ran the new trail (which was blockaded as "closed") thru the stones, timber scraps and snirt near the end of the season. It will be a very nice ride this winter with a little snow on it.

I digress. (you can tell I'm on a missing snowmobiling jag). The intent of this thread is to find out if anyone has any news/info on the new "linear parc connector" that is supposedly going to get around the closed section around St-Jovite - Lac Carre areas??

timbo

Timbo

I can't help you with the linear park but I do know where the SAQ is in Groomers hometown for our 2012 gathering!!! LOL

Andy

Those of us who remember Laurentides in its snowmobiling hay-day will think fondly of when the Parc Linear of the Petit Train du Nord ran from Val David to Mont Laurier. It was a marvelous ride that offered a lot of interconnectivity for folks going both north and south, and east and west thru the whole central part of the Province. Unfortunately a bunch of cottager, "I've got Mine'ers" prevailed upon the Provincial court system, and had a key section of the linear park in the Mont Tremblant area shut down. From Lac Carre, on up north past St-Jovite and Tremblant, the linear parc was closed to snowmobiling. This closure dealt an especially hard blow to the once jumbo club at Ste-Agathe, which was the first snowmobile club in Quebec of any significance, with membership in the thousands.

To those of us who were into long distance saddlebagging, this was not a good event.

Recently while I was in St-Donat a couple of local gentlemen who are snowmobilers informed me that they believed that substantial progress was being made in the St-Jovite area and that a "by pass" was in the works that would it would be possible to get from the stubbed-off ends of the linear parc, around a new "alternative route", and resume travel on the railbed. These same gents predicted that all would be in good order with the "new" trail from St-Donat to Coin Lavigne,( bypassing the St-Donat park gate, as well as Caribou), keeping sleds out of Tremblant Parc. This was the section the Club tried to have ready during the middle of last riding season but could not get opened due to insufficient snow for grooming the new disturbed areas because of not enought snowcover in mid-winter. Some of us with more enthusiasm than brains ran the new trail (which was blockaded as "closed") thru the stones, timber scraps and snirt near the end of the season. It will be a very nice ride this winter with a little snow on it.

I digress. (you can tell I'm on a missing snowmobiling jag). The intent of this thread is to find out if anyone has any news/info on the new "linear parc connector" that is supposedly going to get around the closed section around St-Jovite - Lac Carre areas??

timbo

Timbo

I can't help you with the linear park but I do know where the SAQ is in Groomers hometown for our 2012 gathering!!! LOL

Andy

Andy

The resolution to the linear parc issue is long standing and who knows when it may be resolved. However, real value is afforded the equation by having a remote idea where the SAQ in Groomerville could be found. It's all good!!!

(just how far from the du Vallon might it be????)

timbo

Andy

The resolution to the linear parc issue is long standing and who knows when it may be resolved. However, real value is afforded the equation by having a remote idea where the SAQ in Groomerville could be found. It's all good!!!

(just how far from the du Vallon might it be????)

timbo

About 2 km by road.

Andy

Tim you know me pretty well and we have travelled together many times. What are the chances that Andyman can find Timbo a SAQ on the trail!!! LOL

Andy

Indeed we have enjoyed many miles on the trails of Quebec (& Ontario), Amigo. Your talent at sniffing out the nearest SAQ store is exceeded only by your aptitude for locating the closest can of beer. :drinks:

timbo

I did speak to a developer this spring who has the Royal Laurential Golf course. His development is on the linear park just south of Mt Tremblant. He indicated that the by pass will be open this coming winter. He said he had worked hard to make it happen with others and said it was a great piece. Time will tell but it was promising to hear this as i enjoyed the options this offers.

Mike

I did speak to a developer this spring who has the Royal Laurential Golf course. His development is on the linear park just south of Mt Tremblant. He indicated that the by pass will be open this coming winter. He said he had worked hard to make it happen with others and said it was a great piece. Time will tell but it was promising to hear this as i enjoyed the options this offers.

Mike

That's encouraging, doo4adoo! The Tremblant/St-Jovite area has been pretty hostile to the snowmobile community for many years. Seems both the downhill and cross country skiers pretty much have the loudest voices in the winter. In truth, the jackass element in the snowmobiling community did not do us any good either. Those of you guys who rode the linear park for years will remember that about 15 years ago the local club posted speed limit signs along the trail when it still ran on the railroad bed along the lake by Tremblant Station. Lots of guys would blast thru there at 2AM running 70 mph, most with obnoxious loud pipes. When that did not do the trick, the last few years it was open, they routed the trail out on the lake parallel to the railroad grade, to keep sleds a little farther away from the cottages. Lastly, they had a curfew (I believe it might have been 9PM). The next year the good lady judge in Montreal found in favour of the lawsuit brought by the good residents of the area and closed the Parc Linear of the Petit Train du Nord to all snowmobiling.

The local clubs have had a real uphill to secure some alternatives to the loss of that section of the linear park. Having a major entepreneur like that in the immediate Tremblant area in favor of finding new access is a real shot in the arm. Let's hope for the best this winter.

timbo

Piste de motoneige à Saint-Faustin: Transports Québec cherche des ingénieurs

Luc Lefebvre

Nouvelles générales - Publié le 28 août 2011 à 10:47

Le ministère des Transports du Québec a lancé un appel d’offres de services professionnels pour la préparation des plans et devis et la surveillance des travaux de la piste de motoneige qui longera la route 117 de Saint-Faustin-Lac-Carré à Mont-Tremblant, en passant sous le viaduc du Mont-Blanc. Les firmes d’ingénierie ont jusqu’au 21 septembre pour soumettre leurs propositions. Ce mandat professionnel est évalué entre 500 000$ et 604 499$.

D’une longueur de 11 kilomètres, ce nouveau sentier découle d’une volonté générale (locale, régionale et provinciale) de rétablir un lien de motoneige coupé en 2004 suite au jugement Langlois en faveur des revendications de la Coalition de protection de l'environnement du Parc linéaire Le P'tit Train du Nord. Le projet global estimé à 7.5 millions $ devrait être réalisé en 2012.

found this on a small french forum.

d o t of quebec is looking for engineers to make plans and estimate for and 11 km snowmobile trail along road 117 in st faustin-lac carré to mont tremblant.cost between 500,000.00$$ to 604,000.00$$ for this mandate.

the global project is estimated at 7.5 millions $$$$ and should be realized in 2012

groomer !!!

Piste de motoneige à Saint-Faustin: Transports Québec cherche des ingénieurs

Luc Lefebvre

Nouvelles générales - Publié le 28 août 2011 à 10:47

Le ministère des Transports du Québec a lancé un appel d’offres de services professionnels pour la préparation des plans et devis et la surveillance des travaux de la piste de motoneige qui longera la route 117 de Saint-Faustin-Lac-Carré à Mont-Tremblant, en passant sous le viaduc du Mont-Blanc. Les firmes d’ingénierie ont jusqu’au 21 septembre pour soumettre leurs propositions. Ce mandat professionnel est évalué entre 500 000$ et 604 499$.

D’une longueur de 11 kilomètres, ce nouveau sentier découle d’une volonté générale (locale, régionale et provinciale) de rétablir un lien de motoneige coupé en 2004 suite au jugement Langlois en faveur des revendications de la Coalition de protection de l'environnement du Parc linéaire Le P'tit Train du Nord. Le projet global estimé à 7.5 millions $ devrait être réalisé en 2012.

Thanks for the info, Jean-Guy. Very good news. Too bad it won't be ready for this winter, but good news for 2012, eh? Hard to believe the linear park trail has been closed since 2004!

looks like the rumors about a bypass were well founded.

timbo

found this on a small french forum.

d o t of quebec is looking for engineers to make plans and estimate for and 11 km snowmobile trail along road 117 in st faustin-lac carré to mont tremblant.cost between 500,000.00$$ to 604,000.00$$ for this mandate.

the global project is estimated at 7.5 millions $$$$ and should be realized in 2012

groomer !!!

Timbo: That would be great if they can put together a connector trail. For many years we stayed in St Michele des saints and would make a loop to L'annunciation, pick up the rail bed and get off just past St Agath.We then would go to St Lucie and work our way to Notre Dame De La Merci. From there we went North East to La Glacier ,St Zenon And back to St Michele des Saints. This was a great ride with a real mixed bag of trails and scenery. It would be nice to take that ride again.

Think winter!! Regards Combat. :drinks:

Timbo: That would be great if they can put together a connector trail. For many years we stayed in St Michele des saints and would make a loop to L'annunciation, pick up the rail bed and get off just past St Agath.We then would go to St Lucie and work our way to Notre Dame De La Merci. From there we went North East to La Glacier ,St Zenon And back to St Michele des Saints. This was a great ride with a real mixed bag of trails and scenery. It would be nice to take that ride again.

Combat

Those were the days. It wasn't till we lost it that we realized just how important that rail bed was to "getting around" in the middle part of Quebec. A good number of businesses in the vacinity of the linear parc took a jumbo hit from that closing, as well. Let us hope that this connector and its timetable are real.

A lotta guys were complaining after it shut down cuz they missed rippen and tearen on the long stretches between the grade crossing stop signs. That was fun. But the connectivity to all the trails that intersected it proved to be the big loss.

timbo

hi timbo !!

bienvenue !!

just read on the same thread that things are going well for the trails in that area.

groomer !!!

More good news, eh Groomer!

timbo

Hey Jeff, are you getting and itchy thumb too? That trail was the nicest stretch of land to rip on in that area. I remember seeing arctic cats blown up on that trail. Not knocking AC either. Later dudes, great info this early in season , I love it

Hey Jeff, are you getting and itchy thumb too? That trail was the nicest stretch of land to rip on in that area. I remember seeing arctic cats blown up on that trail. Not knocking AC either. Later dudes, great info this early in season , I love it

Dennis: You must have the same itch if you're looking at snowmobile sites. I'm ready and have been since last spring. Hope all is well with you. We'll have to connect some time this winter I think it would be great. I ride every Saturday somewhere. Take care Combat

Back in the late 80's when a lot of guys started buying into the mod motor thing for trails up there that old railroad bed became quickly known as piston city seeing a number of blown up sleds over the years. Too bad as time went on these guys never got the message especially around Mont Tremblant their loud sleds were not appreciated. Last time i rode that section was in 04....sure be nice to have something back again.

Loud pipes on bikes might save lives for sure.Loud pipes on sleds cost us trails and access. They should be all outlawed and a Minimum $1000 fine for first offense no warnings.I think they would get the message then. Just saying there is no need for that noise. Its stupid. Like hey look at me i'm cool, friggin MORONS.

Hey Jeff. Sounds good. I got your number I will call you. Hopefully we can get out of town otherwise we can ride 100 miles of the prestigious south Warren trails and duck and dodge the crazies out there every Saturday and Sunday. Lol later dude, D