Interesting video on Route 175

Greg du Vermont

It's all in french, but I'm sure anyone who travels and has travelled the famous and infamous Route 175 will find it interesting. It is definetly not as death defying as it once was. A huge project for sure

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tbML_sEPclA

Cool video. Only driven that once. With a helluva hangover from spending the previous night in Montreal. Mysteriously my trailer had a blow out after gassing up in L'etape. Worst tire change ever with those tractors blowing by. It was only 2 lanes then. I also remember a patrol vehicle pulled over to serve as warning for me being on the shoulder and the officer was beautiful dark haired lady. Welcome to the Kingdom.

Ever other trip up to Saguenay has been via sled since.

Very interesting, thanks for sharing. I've driven that stretch for the last 4 years. I can't imagine what it would have been like driving that when it was only 2 lanes. They did a nice job. Coming home this past February the temp dropped to -30 F for awhile in the higher elevations.

Nice video, Greg. This past year was my 29th year since the first time I traveled up 175. My first year, 1984, when I was climbing up the hill just before the cross crounty ski place I saw these sticks sticking out of the snow on the side of the road. It was the 2nd week of March. I was wondering what they were. First one I passed, I wondered no more. It was the marking for a frost heave. That day I was only able to drive 30 MPH because of the frost heaps. I have never seen frost heaves like those. It took me 4 hours to drive from Quebec City to the Saguenay. Lots of wrecks resulting in deaths on that road. Worst I ever saw was in 2000 about 4 miles south of L'Etape. A car traveling north skidded on ice just in front of a south bound tractor trailer. The t t pused the car into the guard rails on his left and then proceeded to come across the road into the guard rails on his right. When I past the accident, I glanced into the car and the windows were covered with blood. I tell people when traveling 175 plan to be on it by 2 PM so you arrive in the Saguenay by dark. When they started building it, it was said to be a 3 year project, it is now into year 6. What an undertaking. Gotta love the animal fence.

• 2 weeks later...

It sure is some massive project but very well worth it. I have always hated driving that road when it was two lanes. Saw some nasty accidents and some incredibly cold temps up there as well. I remember riding through there one year watch the yukes crossing the roadway bouncing like crazy and never slowing down! Incredible how they worked up there in the dead of winter!