St.Louis-de-Gonzague scout out for Alain (Towing)

Trailblazer

Got home early from work today and decided to do a little ride to the St.Louis-de-Gonzague bridge to scout out the trail for our friend Alain who has hinted he will be crossing the majestic St.Lawrence in my neighborhood this coming week end.

Bridge is open this year to traffic, the crossing of the Canal de Beauharnois is a klm long mostly on a cos-way ash faulted but the draw bridge part is a metal grill crossing not too good for the carbides if you got wheels on your skis good time to use them.

From the waters edge in Pointe des Cascades to the bridge is a 20 minute ride, once you reach land in Melocheville the trail is on a bicycle path all the way to the bridge.

Local Map...Harfang des Neiges

Intersection on the lake just off the shore of Pointe des Cascades

The majestic autoroute 30 bridge in the distance crossing the Beauharnois canal

You can get gas in Melocheville as soon as you get on land.

Bicycle path trail behind gas station

In the weeds section watch out for the deer and lots of ice in the trail

The bridge in the distance

On the other side looking back

Your options on the other side

The drawbridge portion

On my way home 5 minutes from the lake

Wow!!! you are a real one Trailblazer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :friends:

I'm astonish you had went for it, I was not expected that for sure :hi:

It is something that not all sledders know that it is possible to cross the St-Laurence river at this spot directly on a bridge without a shuttle or a ferry like all others place easter on the St-Laurence river in Quebec province.

The projected ride for me would be to start from home, ride west up to this bridge step on the south shore and coming back east to get the Sorel ferry that would bring me back on the north shore near Berthierville not far from home. A 250+ miles ride with alot of road crossing, pretty much seat time to do it... and the dinosaur I am that still ride without a gps may search a bit to get the correct route if some links are broken on the south shore. I remember we had a guessing game in some spot when we had did it in the past. At least with your report I will have no problem with this section for sure !

I did it, very long time ago and some of your pics are familiar to me JG. I remember that it was smelling candle when we had finally reach the other side of the bridge... a bit more than a km I think, but it's feasible.

The snow condition on the south shore does not often allow this ride to be possible, and I wonder with the forecast of the next days if we had miss our shot??

Anyway, thank you very much for the detailed report and pics :good:. If we go for it, there is also some chances we ride it reverse from the described path going by the ferry to Sorel first. I'm still in planning but on next Saturday I would like to make a small trial ride on a new Venture to test how the wife and I would fit whit it... so the big ride would be on Sunday, weather permitting...

:drinks:

Alain