Late March trip questions

themainer

After a successful first trip up last year, the ol lady is interested in going up to the area with me for a trip. She likes riding two up and refuses to ride her own sled even though we've tried many different models. It would just be us two. 

I was wondering how late it would still be good conditions south of the Saguenay? She doesn't like it much colder than 20F so thinking the last day of march and first weekend in April.

The first day of the trip I was thinking of staying at Auberge des Battures, then going 83 down to Lac Bazile then take that local orange trail up to Anse St. Jean for lunch, then back over 383 to the hotel. Do you think the trails will hold up to do this end of march/early april?

The second day I was gonna truck up to KM31 to stay there and ride over to the frozen waterfall and the "cave". I know there will be plenty of snow to do that.

Has anyone stayed at KM31 before or Auberge des Battures? Also, can you cross the bay in LA Baie or is there an open shipping channel that would prevent you from doing that? 

Thanks for the help. Really appreciated it last year when I was planning my first trip up here.

We have stayed at both.   It has been a number of years since we've stayed at the Battures.  It was nice when we were there.  They had a fenced corral for the sleds.   The snow may be sparse at that time of year.   From memory there was a bridge to cross the river-it does have a open channel.

KM31 is in the heart of Mont Valin area.  There are lots of loops to do in the area.   The rooms in the lodge are all in the basement.   There isn't a sitting area in the rooms.    They do have cabins also but we haven't tried them.  The main level has the dining area with good food.    I would think the snow would last longer north of the river.

It is a roll of the dice.  A couple of years ago Sandi and I left the truck at Roquemont in St Raymond and rode up to the Lac, stayed one night for a Tour du Lac and then rode back to St Raymond on the third day.  The trails were fantastic and nobody was out.

Other years, by the end of February, the trails around Jonquiere were turning into mud.

Mont Valin will keep its snow longer.  I've heard of riding up there into April.

Jack & Sandi