ADMDQ update from Greg

Greg du Vermont

Thanks for your comments. Obviously the issue of theft and property security is of huge concern to all. Not only from the stand point of it's possible personal impact, but from a general image standpoint. One of the issues raised by the AdmdQ at a recent meeting with government officials was this very issue and the urging of continuing efforts for secure facilities. While it still unfortunatly occurs, I personally have not heard of as many reports in the past few seasons. Hopefully this is a positive trend that will continue.

My first trip to the Zenon area was in '84 and it was pretty basic then. Cabanon was a roofed over foundation, dark as it could be with a nice guy named Gaston at the helm. Can't imaging what it was like in the 60's and 70's.

Can't assure anyone that theives will never find you but I can assure you of the best snowmobiling experiences on the planet.

Be vigilent and enjoy everyday.

... Hello, I joined admdQ last month, I have been riding in P.Q for 20 yrs starting with day trips out of Pittsburg NH. where i own a place and hardly go anymore. I remember when the Fcmq passes where under $100 (maybe even $60). I was wondering about the liaibility insurance coverage that is included with the fcmq pass. I have absolutley no problem paying the cost of a trail pass... whatever the cost. Its worth worth every penny, with or without the insurance included. I was wondering about the redundant coverage from my own policy and the policy that come with the Fmcq pass. I seems am doubley covered for liability in my case . I make sure I have total coverage for everything in my policys for Canada. I know its confusing with everybody coming up from all over the states, with different state laws. NH, for example there is NO mandatory insurance required to register a sled. I think its great thats included in the FMCQ pass for folks from Canada I WOULD rather see the MONEY go the the CLUBS in Canada, then having it go to a redundant Insurance (policy) company. Does anybody know which policy over rides the other in my case, having 2 seperate insurance policys for the same type of coverage. Once again, Id like to see the money go to the clubs. M Edited by momojohnny

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Greg, after reading this story about Natasha Richardson the actress that died from head injuries while skiing at Mont Tremblant I was wondering whatever happened to Air-Medic?

According to the article, The province of Quebec does not have emergency helicopter service anymore. I remember you saying that Air Medic had filed for bankruptcy.

Stan

http://apnews.myway.com//article/20090321/D972D7IG0.html

Greg:I don't do alot of commenting on sites,however I read alot of forums about snowmobiling as it is my passion. I probably will get some comments saying i am against Canada and Quebec. Believe me when I say I LOVE CANADA! I have been snowmobiling since 1972. I went on my first trip to St Zenon in 1963. I went every year multiple times until 2006. Over the years I made many friends in Quebec and will always have some wonderful memories of some of the best snowmobiling I've ever done. My wife and I also used to visit Montreal 2-3 times a year for weekend getaways.I never had any property stolen. I became more and more aware of the theft problem over the years,however. The iceing on the cake was in Montreal in 2006. My wife and I were going to spend the weekend at our usual hotel. When we pulled in the parking lot, the owner told us he didn't want us to park in his lot. He said the vehicle would not be there in the morning. It was a chevey 4wd trailblazer. He reccommended two hotels down the street that had underground garages and felt the vehicle would be safe there. Needless to say we were very disappointed as we used our vehicle at different times to go to Old Montreal for dinner etc. The parking lot owner we have known for years and had become friends with. Obviously I couldn't thank him enough.

I guess what I'm saying is, if you want the american snowmobiler and tourist back fix the problem. Here in my hometown just 2 weeks ago there was a lengthy story of two men who had truck,trailer, and two snowmobiles stolen from their motel within an hour after they checked in. $70,000-80,000 of equiptment and the police do nothing.

I rest my case.

I would go back to quebec in a heart beat if I knew my things were safe.I still see some friends at the Big East Snowmobile show in Syracuse,NY. and I always tell them to say hello to everyone we know.

I hope you continue to work on things in Quebec for us snowmobilers as my dream is to be able to go there once again.

I still Love the country,it is a beautiful land and the hospitality is #1.

Best of luck ,Regards Combat :good:

The police are def. getting tougher on crime up there,i made 2 trips to St. Zenon this winter and both times we left to come home at 4:30 AM and each time we were pulled over and checked to make sure we were not stealing the rig.We thanked the officers and continued on our way.Many people from the states don't understand this is a big problem in and around Montreal for EVERYONE including the locals.I was told that if you live near Montreal you cannot get car ins. without an anti-theft device on your vehicle.I returned from a hunting trip a few years ago and when we got to Montreal one of the hunters vehicles had been stolen from a fenced in area.Montreal leads North America for vehicle thefts and the majority of those thefts are from residents of Quebec.

The police are def. getting tougher on crime up there,i made 2 trips to St. Zenon this winter and both times we left to come home at 4:30 AM and each time we were pulled over and checked to make sure we were not stealing the rig.We thanked the officers and continued on our way.Many people from the states don't understand this is a big problem in and around Montreal for EVERYONE including the locals.I was told that if you live near Montreal you cannot get car ins. without an anti-theft device on your vehicle.I returned from a hunting trip a few years ago and when we got to Montreal one of the hunters vehicles had been stolen from a fenced in area.Montreal leads North America for vehicle thefts and the majority of those thefts are from residents of Quebec.

Last time I was at Le Cabanon, I was told that the biggest problem is that the "native Indians" come down from the reservations at night to do the stealing. Once whatever they stole gets back to their area, nothing can be done about it. They part out everything and sell the parts.

Last time I was at Le Cabanon, I was told that the biggest problem is that the "native Indians" come down from the reservations at night to do the stealing. Once whatever they stole gets back to their area, nothing can be done about it. They part out everything and sell the parts.
.... I have never heard that. Don't know if its true or not. but I have been on a few Reservations. Some of them do a great job grooming, like south of valdor, kitskit (sp). And I got caught up in the rte 117 road closure 2-3 yr's ago where we had to get up at 4 am and sneak out of domine the next day with the road still closed. Those natives where from the Montreal area. That was just politics up there. There's more of a issue around the metro areas. In 97 I lost a brand new silverado, 3 new sleds and trailer in victoriaville. Never got the sleds or trailer back.. But the 5-0 found my truck with the NH tags still on it in victoriaville with a 15yr old kid driving it around town 3 days later. He was payed $100 to steal the sleds, and $100 the truck. The kid was driving to sell the new 30k truck for $500 to some other kid. The kid was sentenced as a juvenile would be here. He got 3 months house arrest. It can happen here... it can happen anywhere. I dont worry about it... ever. M Edited by momojohnny

I never heard that before but you never know.I have my doubts,cause they don't have the ambition to do it and the gov. just hands them money.

I never heard that before but you never know.I have my doubts,cause they don't have the ambition to do it and the gov. just hands them money.

The way it was explained, and I must add, this was about 5 years ago, is that they all load up in the back of a pickup and come down. They are usually drunk. Now, I also know that a lot of the local residents don't really like the Indians because they get so much from the Gov. So... could be they were blaming them by just assuming. I, too have never had a bad experience at a reservation, other than being surrounded by kids trying to sell trinkets. Now, they are relentless, as I'm sure everyone here has experienced!

Crazy weekend of riding last weekend. 725 mile loop, never above freezing, all snow! Shawinigan, lac Edouard, Roberval on day 1, Roberval around lac st jean to Hebertville on day 2, Hebertville through L’Etape to St Raymond and back to Shawinigan. When we returned to Shawinigan all the signs were piled up at the road crossings which made for a little bit of a memory challenge in the final miles. Trust me it all looks different without the markings. Thank you to all the club volunteers who make our Winter such pleasure

As we approach the inevitable end to another season I wanted to offer a few thoughts, comments and updates.

First I would like to personally to thank all the Quebec riders who offered their support, comments, concerns and feedback throughout the season. Your experiences and input are acknowledged and appreciated by myself and the leadership of the AdmdQ. We QR’s represent some of the best in snowmobiling and our opinion is strongly valued by the AdmdQ as they speak on behalf of all Quebec snowmobilers on issue of concern and importance. Thank you, you have made my season long AdmdQ updates thread a greater success than I had hoped for.

The issue of thefts and its solution will never be easy. Hopefully by speaking with a larger and unified voice, a continuing awareness and priority can be brought to the minds of Provincial leadership and policy makers. I think that these unfortunate issues have improved but we can not let up on a loud voice of concern.

It was indeed unfortunate that the Air Medic mission was not able to survive as originally operated. As far as I am aware, their situation regarding lack of funding has not changed for the better. If I learn more I will pass it along.

While on the subject of safety and emergency services, here is something of interest. We have all probably noted emergency location signs at road crossings through Quebec. If emergency services are needed, these signs help responders to locate those in need ASAP. This winter an unfortunate emergency situation in a Provincial parc highlighted a serious lack of protocol and coordination with emergency service providers in the parcs, which lead to time consuming confusion as to what entity or municipality could, would or should respond. The AdmdQ has voiced concern over this situation and is urging that protocols be put in place which would clarify who will provide E-service in what areas, with the overall goal of providing faster response to those who find themselves in need. We never think about this, but if trouble happened it would be comforting to know that someone had thought about who does what. I will report more on this in the future.

Just a note on this seasons AdmdQ lodging discount program. I just saved another $12 at Chateau Roberval last weekend. For my $10 AdmdQ membership I saved over $30 on my hotels bills without even trying or staying anywhere other than where I like to stay anyway. Now that’s a deal. Hopefully this program will continue next season and you can use your AdmdQ membership to its fullest benefit. Thanks to all the participating hotels and the AdmdQ directors whose efforts and time made it all possible.

The AdmdQ radio trail updates and website expansion were great hits. Look for continued expansion and refinement of available information in ‘09-’10. Great info, practice your French to get the most.

It is my understanding that the AdmdQ will be sending out membership renewal notices as appropriate. If you get one, please send it in immediately so you stay current. If you don’t get a notice and you are up for renewal please use the AdmdQ.org site to stay current. We have worked hard to get our QR members to be a significant force in their support of the AdmdQ voice and I would like to increase our numbers next season and not lose anyone.

Your continued support in spreading the word of the AdmdQ opportunity and recommending membership to all QR’s is invited. I believe that Saguenay Bill signed up 24 new members at his HI kiosk this winter. Great work Sir, glad that you had a super season. Thank you!

AdmdQ=Association des motoneigiste du Quebec Quebec Snowmobilers Association

The voice of Quebec Snowmobilers

Edited by Greg du Vermont

Your continued support in spreading the word of the AdmdQ opportunity and recommending membership to all QR’s is invited. I believe that Saguenay Bill signed up 24 new members at his HI kiosk this winter. Great work Sir, glad that you had a super season. Thank you!

The voice of Quebec Snowmobilers

Greg

Saguenay Bill will be signing up another two when we see him in NH in October - so we will possibly be the furthest away members after all.

Gary & Pat

Nottinghamshire

U.K. :clapping:

Edited by SnomoGary

Gary, I thought that you were already our longest distance AdmdQ members. There was a note by the AdmdQ president to the AdmdQ directers about you joining on march 14th. I joined in and gave credit to the QR site for being responsible for you finding the AdmdQ. You are famous in Quebec snowmobiling. Maybe it was just only the e-mail notices that you signed up for. Anyway, hop right on the AdmdQ.org site and make it official. I do not know if Bill will have his membership packages in the Summer as I believe he turned all his stuff in before leaving the HI. Thanks for spreading the word.

Gary, I thought that you were already our longest distance AdmdQ members. There was a note by the AdmdQ president to the AdmdQ directers about you joining on march 14th. I joined in and gave credit to the QR site for being responsible for you finding the AdmdQ. You are famous in Quebec snowmobiling. Maybe it was just only the e-mail notices that you signed up for. Anyway, hop right on the AdmdQ.org site and make it official. I do not know if Bill will have his membership packages in the Summer as I believe he turned all his stuff in before leaving the HI. Thanks for spreading the word.

I still have the AdmdQ stuff with me. I only turned in the $$$$$$$$$.

Bill

Bill, Thank you again for your involvement in the sport of snowmobiling and the Association des motoneigiste du Quebec. QuebecRiders are doing a great job of being a significant part of the organized voice of Quebec snowmobilers.

Thanks for helping snomogary and his wife to be the long distance record holders for AdmdQ members.

Together we are proving that we can make postive impacts in providing, access to helpful information, positive media exposure, saftey initiatives and promoting the protection and expansion of trails and services.