Contributing Member
  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


Everything posted by vt_bluyamaha54

  1. This is a good site to use for an idea of true exchange rates: http://www.xe.com/ I don't carry allot of Canadian cash; just enough for incidentals like lunch in clubhouses, and places that don't take cards. If you have an ATM card, you can use it at any of the Desjardins and get Canadian cash at the same exchange as posted that day on most exchanges.Using the credit card gives current exchange and I have a card that doesn't charge a "foreign transaction fee". - This has always worked for me anyway
  2. Buying where you ride supports the local club - the one who grooms the trails where you will be riding. I believe the club gets about 60% of the pass fee (?) The exchange is $1USD=$1.02CAD right now so I wouldn't spend allot of time exchanging money. Most places will take US $$ at face value. We usually use credit cards for fuel, lodging, etc but you will likely need cash for purchasing the pass, small meals in clubhouses/restaurants and the few places that don't take cards.
  3. Here is what it says on the VAST web site regarding the accessing the trail from an adjacent state/province where you are already registered: "(e) Special provisions for certain areas of operation; Massachusetts; New Hampshire; New York; Province of Quebec. A legally registered snowmobile, from any adjacent state or Province which provides the same reciprocity to Vermont, may enter this state by using a portion of the statewide snowmobile trail system, a public right-of-way open to snowmobiles, or private land that is posted open to snowmobiles, for a distance not to exceed three miles for the sole purpose of accessing the closest food, fuel, lodging and repair services, and, at a point three miles from the state line, trails shall be posted "VT TMA Required Beyond This Point". In Addison, Bennington and Rutland counties, licensed snowmobiles from reciprocating jurisdictions may operate from the New York border to Poultney village via corridor trail 4A (Delaware Hudson Rail Trail); from the New York border in Pawlet in the north to the New York border in the south in the town of Rupert (13 miles) along corridor trail 4; and from Lake Champlain at Benson Landing to the town of Benson via the local snowmobile trail." You can call them to check: 802-229-0005. We have left from the Border Motel before but that was when it had other owners. Can't comment if they are OK with parking there if you aren't staying there. There is also a Super 8 just down the street from the Border Motel. That doesn't resolve your TMA issue though With all the hassle, I think I would just park and leave from Stanstead. Marcel (Marty) is a good guy and I have bought passes from him in the past. . . . or you could drive further into Canada
  4. Trails on this side of the river are very good and I almost prefer them. I live in VT and have left from this side but yes, you would need a VAST TMA to do that. If you want to cut your drive, the president of the Stanstead QC club has a motel in Stanstead - which is the 1st town after you cross the border on I91. His name is Marty Fatieux (sp). There is a gs station there w/the Imperial Motel and you can get your Canadian permit there also. Thetford Mines has had theft problems on and off for years but the Balmoral might be OK. I've stayed there but never left a vehicle there. The clubhouse in Beauceville is safe. No corral but there is always a guy there 7x24 and i have never heard of any problems there. Of course there isn't a place to sleep but you can get food/drink and head off. Quite a few guys from Maine start there. Montmagny has at least 2 good places close to the RT20 interchange (motels) but not sure if you want to go that far east??
  5. .. .. . . Might want to re-read the info from the website: it says 1.25gal/PAIR - that's not much . . . but better than nothing I guess
  6. - A basic first aid kit - Some disposable surgical gloves - a handkerchief - and hope I don't need them. The gloves can come in handy if you have to help someone change a belt on the trail - or even siphon gas. (I don't like to put dirty hands back into my gloves if I can avoid it.
  7. Unfortunately only 1543 in Quebec this year :sad: :sad: . . .so 101338 + 1543 = 102881
  8. Thanks for sharing, Steven. I was there just a month ago but I'm still jealous. You guys found some hidden gems that I didn't know even know existed and I am sure there are many more. That area is so special! Look forward to meeting you one day. Have a great summer.
  9. Rob - I have not had problems but yours sounds like the result of possibly just one fill up from a bad source. I would like to hear from someone who lives in QC and could comment on whether: 1) the Government requires ethanol be blended with their gasoline? AND if it IS 2))what percent is the maximum allowed? I made it a point to look at the pumps for labels but never did see one during my travels in QC this winter. To those of you adding dry gas, remember that if the fuel already has ethanol, DON'T add dry gas since you may over do it. Ethanol is hygroscopic (attracts water) and too much is not a good idea.
  10. Agree with dkarwh, people that ride based on hand signals are very foolish due to the always grossly ambiguous information. It is usually very hard to see the fingers, you never know if there are groups traveling close to each other, and I believe we should always ride "watching out for the other guy/expecting the unexpected". Speeds being what they are in QC also leave very little margin for error if one takes their hands "off the wheel". Pure foolishness as far as my $.02 goes - Our group has always used Collett Communicators and these to handle allot of the situations Greg covered regarding intersections, breakdowns, road crossings, etc. Additionally, they can warn of an oncoming group or grooming equipment - but we never depend on this either. 30+ years of riding likes to stick with the "Expect the unexpected" and "Always watch out for the other guy" mantras! Safety is no accident!!