Age requirement

viper2

Minimum age required to drive a snowmobile: 16 years

(Act respecting off-highway vehicles – June 13, 2006)

Required for drivers under 18 years: a certificate attesting that he or she has the knowledge required to operate a snowmobile.

Snowmobilers under 18 years residing outside of Québec: Such operators are not required to hold the aforementioned certificate, if they are allowed to operate an off-highway vehicle under legislation in force in their home jurisdiction.

In Québec, the training courses leading to the obtention of a certificate of competency are offered by ConduiPRO, groupement coopératif des écoles de conduite indépendantes du Québec.

For more information, visit the website www.conduipro.com

I copied the above off the fmcq website but i am not sure what this means to me. I am from Pennsylvania and if kids take the required safty course they can legally ride when they are 12. Does this mean my 13 and 15 year olds are legal in Quebec or not? :pardon:

Cm'on guys somebody has to know this? :nea:

My understanding is that if the kid is 16, and has certification from his/her local jusridiction meeting current state requirements to ride in your state(ie PSSA, your state association, etc.), and are in the company of parent or guardian, you're good to go. If you are under 16 YOA; you are out of luck.

timbo

Minimum age required to drive a snowmobile on the trail network is 16 years old.If you are from Quebec you have to pass the safety course. If you are from out of province this does not apply HOWEVER the 16 year tage limit still applies. If you are on private property (say your own farm land) this minumum age limit does not apply.

Minimum age required to drive a snowmobile on the trail network is 16 years old.If you are from Quebec you have to pass the safety course. If you are from out of province this does not apply HOWEVER the 16 year tage limit still applies. If you are on private property (say your own farm land) this minumum age limit does not apply.

Thanks I thought that was the case but it was not real clear. I'm sure something was lost in the translation. :good:

Thanks I thought that was the case but it was not real clear. I'm sure something was lost in the translation. :good:

Viper2, just to clarify....you can legally ride on the trail system in PA once you are 10 yrs old and have the safety certificate.

Edited by gizz

Viper2, just to clarify....you can legally ride on the trail system in PA once you are 10 yrs old and have the safety certificate.

Thanks Bill, I didn't remember that part I think when I was a kid you had to be 12 but I know my kids were like 10 and 11 when they did it. I was just hoping to get them to Canada this year but they are only 13 and 15. It's kinda like hunting, if you don't get them addicted young enough they never really seem to start. Hopefully there will be good snow in Potter this year and I can get them there a couple times. By the way were heading up to St. Zenon Jan 17th let me know if you guys are gonna be going up at all this year. :yahoo::drinks:

Thanks Bill, I didn't remember that part I think when I was a kid you had to be 12 but I know my kids were like 10 and 11 when they did it. I was just hoping to get them to Canada this year but they are only 13 and 15. It's kinda like hunting, if you don't get them addicted young enough they never really seem to start. Hopefully there will be good snow in Potter this year and I can get them there a couple times. By the way were heading up to St. Zenon Jan 17th let me know if you guys are gonna be going up at all this year. :yahoo::drinks:

Definately going up, not sure when though.

I'm in your boat, my kids are 12 and 14. Son is 12 and has a 340 Indy lite since he was 9 and i just picked up a 2006 ski doo 550 X for my daughter. My son will probably steal it from her, he's more interested. I also had plans on taking him up but you are right, they must be 16 up there. I guess the part i'm not sure of is how they would actually verify the age? I'm not suggesting anything but i guess if a kid is 15 and you take him/her up there and they have their certificate would anyone really care?. I know for a fact i've seen kids younger than 16 riding up there....way younger than that. In PA though, they lowered the age from 12 to 10 a couple years back i believe.

The sooner you can take them along the sooner they can dig you out when you blow a corner. At least that's my plan!

Edited by gizz

Definately going up, not sure when though.

I'm in your boat, my kids are 12 and 14. Son is 12 and has a 340 Indy lite since he was 9 and i just picked up a 2006 ski doo 550 X for my daughter. My son will probably steal it from her, he's more interested. I also had plans on taking him up but you are right, they must be 16 up there. I guess the part i'm not sure of is how they would actually verify the age? I'm not suggesting anything but i guess if a kid is 15 and you take him/her up there and they have their certificate would anyone really care?. I know for a fact i've seen kids younger than 16 riding up there....way younger than that. In PA though, they lowered the age from 12 to 10 a couple years back i believe.

The sooner you can take them along the sooner they can dig you out when you blow a corner. At least that's my plan!

I know what you mean about the age, I have seen alot of kids that were much younger than 16 driving up there and I guess if you keep a low profile and mind your P's and Q's it would be alright. In my opinion the trails are lfor the most part less dangerous up there than where we ride at home. :pardon:

I know what you mean about the age, I have seen alot of kids that were much younger than 16 driving up there and I guess if you keep a low profile and mind your P's and Q's it would be alright. In my opinion the trails are lfor the most part less dangerous up there than where we ride at home. :pardon:

Viper2 how far south have you gotten from palmerton?

We have mate is past bake oven knob and up past neffs.

schooter

Viper2 how far south have you gotten from palmerton?

We have mate is past bake oven knob and up past neffs.

schooter

Don't ride much at home here anymore, but we never really rode south when we did. We used to make it up to Camelback from here years ago but I guess with all the developments that would be impossible now. If I ride in PA now I go to Potter Co. my dad has a place there, but most of my riding is in Quebec just plan it and go. :good: