Wiring GPS to Crossfire 2009

S pump

I've gotten allot of info on installing a GPS on a 2009 Crossfire. Some say I can hook up to the accessory plug found just ahead of the gas tank, others say that is AC not DC so I can't. I have a Garmin 60 CSX with a cigarette lighter adapter. Has anyone actually done this and can give me guidance not guesses.................any help is appreciated.

Thanks

S Pump

I used my Garmin 500 last year using the cigarette lighter on my F8. So you need to hook up a female lighter adapter. (you cannot cut off the plug and hardwire, there is a voltage reducer in the plug) or you can purshase a permanet hardwire kit.

I moved to the hardwire kit because the cold temps. and the fragile wire attached to the cigarette plug.

S Pump

I used my Garmin 500 last year using the cigarette lighter on my F8. So you need to hook up a female lighter adapter. (you cannot cut off the plug and hardwire, there is a voltage reducer in the plug) or you can purshase a permanet hardwire kit.

I moved to the hardwire kit because the cold temps. and the fragile wire attached to the cigarette plug.

Does your F8 have a battery? Xfire doesn't..........

Where does everyone hookup their electric shield?

There is a pigtail down under the hood but nobody seems to know if it is AC or DC.......how would I tell, ground one side to chassis? You ready to ride old man? Looks like next week may be maiden voyage, going to VT to shake out the Cat and see if I want it, next week, we ride..............

Does your F8 have a battery? Xfire doesn't..........

There is a pigtail down under the hood but nobody seems to know if it is AC or DC.......how would I tell, ground one side to chassis? You ready to ride old man? Looks like next week may be maiden voyage, going to VT to shake out the Cat and see if I want it, next week, we ride..............

Throw it on your trailer and bring it by my shop, I will hook you up. I am ready to ride, but H/S on the 10th in NH so week after.

P.S. - I have put together team for cains and riding it this year

Throw it on your trailer and bring it by my shop, I will hook you up. I am ready to ride, but H/S on the 10th in NH so week after.

P.S. - I have put together team for cains and riding it this year

You got issues..........it's gonna snow 2 feet in NH and you are gonna ride a bike? You gonna ride your 09 in Cains? I wish I could race that with ya......not in the budget.......Billy sponsoring you?

You got issues..........it's gonna snow 2 feet in NH and you are gonna ride a bike? You gonna ride your 09 in Cains? I wish I could race that with ya......not in the budget.......Billy sponsoring you?

If it snows 2ft the race willl be postponed and I will be sledding, i will call you tomm possibly

I've gotten allot of info on installing a GPS on a 2009 Crossfire. Some say I can hook up to the accessory plug found just ahead of the gas tank, others say that is AC not DC so I can't. I have a Garmin 60 CSX with a cigarette lighter adapter. Has anyone actually done this and can give me guidance not guesses.................any help is appreciated.

Thanks

No guesses here..

Just stick a volt meter on it. If it's set to DC and the circuit is AC it will read all over the place. Switch it to AC and it will read steady.

The good thing about the 60 is it can take up to 20 something volts, still has to be DC though. I installed a Garmin V on a XCSP without a battery, it was difficult. No DC. Had to build a converter box. All stuff from radio shack, not expensive ( kinda fun).Works great. That is probably your worst case scenario.