Weather/Temperature Differences

scorpionbowl

For the past year or so, I've had the temperature in Falardeau (at the base of Mt Valin) displayed on my pc. For quite some time over the summer and approaching the fall, the temperature has been substantially higher up there, when compared to my place in Southern NH. A perfect example is now...I have 41 F and Falardeau is reporting 55 F, and the Northern NH guys are probably close to a frost. How is that possible?

That's very interesting. Looking at the weather map, there is a low pressure area in western quebec with it's associated warm front just to the north of the Falardeau area, meaning that Falardeau is in the warm sector. That would account for why they are warmer than us right now, as we are still under the high pressure area that has been giving us pleasantly warm days and cool/cold nights the last few days. But this is just a short term explanation. If this difference continues, there must be other factors involved. One thing is the elevation. While higher elevations have cooler weather most of the time, they often will be warmer if the flow aloft is from the south. I'm aware of that here. If we, (and places like Mt Washington) are warmer than the valleys, it means a warmup is coming. That may be a reason for Falardeau being warmer this morning also, as the whole northeast is supposed to warm the next few days. I'll keep an eye on it just out of curiosity.

Ok, I just looked at current conditions in our area, and this is exactly what I was referring to. Look at the temp on Mt Washington right now, 54 degrees!! While Kingfield NH is at 29 and Whitefield is 32. Warmer temps up high mean a warming trend coming.

Ok, I just looked at current conditions in our area, and this is exactly what I was referring to. Look at the temp on Mt Washington right now, 54 degrees!! While Kingfield NH is at 29 and Whitefield is 32. Warmer temps up high mean a warming trend coming.

nice work Rob !