Trip Around Gaspe'....... By Car

Greasemonkey

Hey Groomer, or anybody that's done it. Thinking of doing a trip around Gaspe' by car someday. Just seeing the road in the areas that you do when snowmobiling, it seems like a great trip, almost all coastal. Approximately how many miles by car is it around? Would probably start from RDL, go around, and start heading back south through NB into Houlton, Me. Would love to stay at some of the little B&B's that surround the peninsula. Like that one in Petite Vallee right on the St. Lawrence.

I just realized that I'm talking about a summer trip in the beginning of March! Wasn't much of a winter for me. The fat lady is starting to sing for this year. :sad:

hi !!

i did the complete loop 1x ,i was 12 y/o at that time .went often to new richmond ,chandler area and many times to mont st pierre ,riviere au renard by the north side .thats 30 years ago.

went 1 x time to la cache by the truck logging road ,murdochville ,mont st pierre ,back in the woods for gite du mont albert ,down to la cache ,then back home .roughly 300 miles

i always wanted to take one or two days to do the loop ,always forget .spend too much time at my camp .

from ste flavie to ste flavie (near mont joli ) ,roughly 500 miles to do the loop if i remember well ,maybe a little bit more.

chandler is 165 miles from home

ste anne des monts by road 195 ,100 miles

ste flavie 58 miles

cross point 50 miles

new richmond 100 miles

matane 50 miles by 195

groomer !!!

I’ve been around the Gaspe on sled 5X and by vehicle 4X, and as recent as October 2009. By sled I prefer going clock-wise and by vehicle counter-clock-wise because I think the scenery is better along the south-shore in this direction. On the south-shore (more touristy area) Carleton, Chandler and Perce are the places to spend time. New Richmond to me is of limited interest. In Perce take the boat ride to Bonaventure Island (it goes next to the Rock), you can hike to other side of island and see gannet colony (depends on time of year). Next stop would be town of Gaspe and Forillon National Park (worthwhile to hike and scenery). The Gaspe area is busy in the summer and if you don’t like crowds (south side), September is better month ans cheaper hotels. The north shore tends to be a nice drive, road runs at base of cliff and next to water for 20-30 miles. North-side seems less populated and not as touristy. If you hike and have time, go to Parc de Gaspe and hike Mount Jacque Cartier. Depending on the things you like to do, I feel rushed at 3 days, 4 would be good.