St-Zenon/Repos/sentier M20 et #360 13 mars 2010

towing

It's on a full sunny saturday morning that we started our ride from la Glacière with new partners this time, Sicilien and Red.

The week have been very very mild so we expected spring trail conditions...

DSC08122L.jpg

As usual, we took #350 trail and ride in Cabanon direction to join an other partner, Laniel that will wait for us at Cabanon. The trail was in great shape but the surface is very hard frozen and i needed my scratchers....

DSC08124L.jpg

A little farther, the #345 have been groomed but propably before it begin to freeze leaving a flat icy higway. The front of the sleds was like on rails with the snowtraker and we made some drift in few curves...

DSC08132L.jpg

We passed by the Cabanon were Laniel joined us ....

DSC08141L.jpg

And continued on #345 with group target: Lunch to repos. The first part from Cabanon that have been thinner all the winter worried me a little...

DSC08143L.jpg

We saw there our first bad bare curve, we easily passed on the border of the trail

DSC08144L.jpg

Got few earth spot here and there until the trail got in Mastigouche road around 8 miles farther where it came back good

DSC08148L.jpg

Very few smalls dirt spots after but near perfect

DSC08152L.jpg

And we quickly got to the dam...

DSC08154L.jpg

The #360 is very good at first...

DSC08159L.jpg

To be continued...

But we farther encountered some bare curves

DSC08162L.jpg

The trail was overall pretty good but with these bare spots. Here, one of the worst one, a good drop facing south with blocked winds that suffered from the heavy sunrays. There was other smallers dirt spots but the trail was so wide that it was always easy to pass...

DSC08163L.jpg

Farther...

DSC08166L.jpg

We next swithed on the #345 in Repos direction. No dirt spots anymore but very hard frozen trail surface and I was happy with my scratchers down.

DSC08172L.jpg

The first part was good with some light ripple in curves but the second half to Repos was pretty beat with hard bumps. We appreciate the staight sretches were we can open that were still in shape.

DSC08177L.jpg

We kept a good beat and arrived at repos at 12:15. It's obvious that I don't need my scratchers anymore!!!

DSC08180L.jpg

We had our meal and than fuel up, her just before getting back on the trail

DSC08182L.jpg

We came back on the #345 to the M20 junction in one shot and took a break there. We saw DRmoto and his partners that were coming back from Parent.

DSC08203L.jpg

He reconized my sled and took the time to cam shaking my hand...

DSC08204L.jpg

We then tried the M20 trail (it's an orange trail on Lananudiere map) that link on the #360 trail. It was the first time I rode this trail... we appreciated the great trail conditions especially after the trail we had just rode.

DSC08209L.jpg

to be continued...

Some part was scenery mountain trail

DSC08214L.jpg

DSC08219L.jpg

And other were fast wide straigh trail were we can got really fast. My wife krikri in my back got this rear shot at near full throttle...

DSC08211L.jpg

DSC08224L.jpg

And we took the #360 in St-Zénon direction..

DSC08227L.jpg

Took a break in my favorite spot

DSC08231L.jpg

DSC08236L.jpg

And continued on #360. There was some bare spots up to the #345 junction that we took in the morning and from there to the dam, those that were there growed over the day...

DSC08241L.jpg

The sun went down and the Mattawin river offering outstanding scenery views on this afternoon end...

DSC08239L.jpg

The foot bridge over the dam was a little tricky to cross witout snow. We then continued on the #345 to Cabanon

DSC08248M2.jpg

We saw the difference with the morning pass and new dirt spots have appeared and those that were there had growed... an obvious sign that the season already getting to the end..... We stopped and got a meal with the partners at Cabanon

Laniel that had started his ride there got back home, Red and his wife stayed there to ride a little on sunday before getting back home, leaving my wife Sicilien and I taking the trail for the last strech to the Glaciere. This last part was still in great shape and we rode it thinking that we maybe were in the last miles for our season... We arrived just a little before 22:00 with 249 miles on the dreammeter.

Unfortunately, it is on the end side for the area... many snowmobile clubs close today and seing how it melt over the last week, it's obvious that the trails will suffer alot with an other week like that. The hardcore sledders that know well the area will propably able to play a little in the Mastigouche reserve side with very spring condition. The Cabanon did not grommed saturday and propably won't groom again. They did since 3 months on a near daily basis in a very not easy season so I think they did a great job, I raise my hat to them....

I would do others photo ride reports to you, but it seems that we are getting near the end of this sled season...

A big thanks to my ride partners Sicilien, Laniel, Red and Claudette that share this ride with us. We had a real great time!!!

Bye

Alain