That time of year

Saguenay Bill

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not sure if I was reading it correctly, going to call Sylvain to find out for sure, but the SEPAQ website says that the "cafeteria", in the park will be closed permanently. I am hoping that they meant somewhere else. Here is what the site said. "The number 63 Trans-Québec trail links the Laurentides and Lanaudière regions. It crosses Réserve faunique Rouge-Matawin for a distance of 80 km. Please note that the gas station and restaurant that were located in the Saint-Michel sector have been CLOSED permanently." Look-up snowmobiling in the Reserve Faunique Rouge Matawin site. I hope I am not reading it right.

The link:http://www.sepaq.com/rf/rom/

:good:

I think it will be an easy one for many of you...

DSC03254Large.jpg

:drinks:

Alain

Not sure, is this the pump along side of the "cafeteria"?

It was a good guess because they were similar...

Bill, mached and MrGutz you are right on :good:

It was at the Chapelle few years ago... B)

Alain

I am not sure if I was reading it correctly, going to call Sylvain to find out for sure, but the SEPAQ website says that the "cafeteria", in the park will be closed permanently. I am hoping that they meant somewhere else. Here is what the site said. "The number 63 Trans-Québec trail links the Laurentides and Lanaudière regions. It crosses Réserve faunique Rouge-Matawin for a distance of 80 km. Please note that the gas station and restaurant that were located in the Saint-Michel sector have been CLOSED permanently." Look-up snowmobiling in the Reserve Faunique Rouge Matawin site. I hope I am not reading it right.

Your translation is good Je me souviens... At the moment, I can't inform you more on what exactly have been decided for the Mont-Tremblant Park and the area around for the next season. I only have rumours or unconfirmed information but I should have the details in the 2nd week of october and will pass the information here as soon as i will have it.

:drinks: Alain

I hope this is wrong. That was a nice place to stop. Always good food and always busy. it's a shame, all these places closing up like they are. I guess they figure why stay open if you can't get to it because of this Park ruling. That does make sense, just a shame it's coming to this.

I have called the relais Rouge-Matawin, it will be closed this year. I spoke with one of the ladies that is a cook there, Sylvain was out on the property as it is hunting season...I will be calling Sylvain back tomorrow to find out what exactly is going on, but from what Diane said they will be closed due to insufficient revenue. I find this hard to believe as most of us know the place is packed all week-end long. They are presently cutting a new trail that will skirt the park. This season will apparently be the last time you will be able to enjoy the scenery in the Tremblant park. If you have yet to see this area I highly suggest it. Start in St-Donat, cross the lake, go up Montagne Noire for a picture, then head through the park towards St-Michel, however take the left towards la Macaza, beautiful place with little traffic. I am extremely disconcerted at the fact we will be losing this park, if this trend continues imagine where it will end. Leaving St-Ray to head up to the HI without passing throught the Jaques-Cartier park, would be much less enjoyable. Or heading east from our old friend Bernard's place, rest his soul, and not being permitted in the Mastigouche park, makes the ride to the hole known as the Cabanon a little less scenic. I will be researching a name to send our thoughts about the Tremblant park relais closure. The persons name is Martin Soucy, still need a confirmed address though. Please let me know if you have information about this matter.

George

I have called the relais Rouge-Matawin, it will be closed this year. I spoke with one of the ladies that is a cook there, Sylvain was out on the property as it is hunting season...I will be calling Sylvain back tomorrow to find out what exactly is going on, but from what Diane said they will be closed due to insufficient revenue. I find this hard to believe as most of us know the place is packed all week-end long. They are presently cutting a new trail that will skirt the park. This season will apparently be the last time you will be able to enjoy the scenery in the Tremblant park. If you have yet to see this area I highly suggest it. Start in St-Donat, cross the lake, go up Montagne Noire for a picture, then head through the park towards St-Michel, however take the left towards la Macaza, beautiful place with little traffic. I am extremely disconcerted at the fact we will be losing this park, if this trend continues imagine where it will end. Leaving St-Ray to head up to the HI without passing throught the Jaques-Cartier park, would be much less enjoyable. Or heading east from our old friend Bernard's place, rest his soul, and not being permitted in the Mastigouche park, makes the ride to the hole known as the Cabanon a little less scenic. I will be researching a name to send our thoughts about the Tremblant park relais closure. The persons name is Martin Soucy, still need a confirmed address though. Please let me know if you have information about this matter.

George

George

While attending the Big East Show last weekend, I spoke at length on this issue with the guy who was representing Tourisme Lenaudiere at their kiosk. His comments pretty much mirrored the info you received from the Sepaq concessionaire at the Roughe Matawin (St-Michel Park Gate) Relais. The only difference on his spin on the matter was that it was pretty much an access issue, not insufficient revenue that drove the final decision to close for this winter. I'm sure that revenue may have been off a little last year, mainly attributable to the abbreviated riding season, but every time I was there last winter (on at least 5 occassions) they were doing just fine.

He did mention that the Federation is way concerned not so much about the food and refreshment issues that this unfortunate closing will entail, but rather the gasoline issue that will really screw things up. Think about riding from St-Michel or St-Donat to La Macaza if there is no gas at the Relais. Especially folks riding older iron with smaller gas tanks. This is of greatest concern..... he indicated that the Federation is attempting to have gas there if possible, either a tanker or using the tank that Sepaq has on site, but that it doesn't look good.

You are right on.....this is in all probability the last year we will be able to ride in the Park. Bad enough for us.......but think about the guys at Coin Lavigne right before the St-Come Park Gate or any business person in St-Donat. By the way, there is only one way into the park from St-Donat this winter. The government is closing the trail into the Park thru the St-Donat Park Gate. The only access will be on 310 thru the Caribou Park Gate.

Take this BS and couple it with the pending strike of the "Agrarian Reformers" trying to hold the trail system hostage and it does not bode well for wintertime pursuits in la belle province. Ontario anyone????

timbo

George

While attending the Big East Show last weekend, I spoke at length on this issue with the guy who was representing Tourisme Lenaudiere at their kiosk. His comments pretty much mirrored the info you received from the Sepaq concessionaire at the Roughe Matawin (St-Michel Park Gate) Relais. The only difference on his spin on the matter was that it was pretty much an access issue, not insufficient revenue that drove the final decision to close for this winter. I'm sure that revenue may have been off a little last year, mainly attributable to the abbreviated riding season, but every time I was there last winter (on at least 5 occassions) they were doing just fine.

He did mention that the Federation is way concerned not so much about the food and refreshment issues that this unfortunate closing will entail, but rather the gasoline issue that will really screw things up. Think about riding from St-Michel or St-Donat to La Macaza if there is no gas at the Relais. Especially folks riding older iron with smaller gas tanks. This is of greatest concern..... he indicated that the Federation is attempting to have gas there if possible, either a tanker or using the tank that Sepaq has on site, but that it doesn't look good.

You are right on.....this is in all probability the last year we will be able to ride in the Park. Bad enough for us.......but think about the guys at Coin Lavigne right before the St-Come Park Gate or any business person in St-Donat. By the way, there is only one way into the park from St-Donat this winter. The government is closing the trail into the Park thru the St-Donat Park Gate. The only access will be on 310 thru the Caribou Park Gate.

Take this BS and couple it with the pending strike of the "Agrarian Reformers" trying to hold the trail system hostage and it does not bode well for wintertime pursuits in la belle province. Ontario anyone????

timbo

I was not aware of the park closure issues. What is the rationale behind this drastic move? With so much of the economy dependent upon snowmobiling I cannot see why they would do this? These are roads. It is not like we are asking for new trails to be cut etc. Very sad indeed. Is there someplace we as users of the vast and beautiful wilderness that our northern friends share with us, can go and sign a petition to voice our displeasures?

Thanks,

Shane

George

timbo

It is funny you mention Ontario Timbo!!! LOL I had my sights set there as well.

Andy

I was not aware of the park closure issues. What is the rationale behind this drastic move? With so much of the economy dependent upon snowmobiling I cannot see why they would do this? These are roads. It is not like we are asking for new trails to be cut etc. Very sad indeed. Is there someplace we as users of the vast and beautiful wilderness that our northern friends share with us, can go and sign a petition to voice our displeasures?

Thanks,

Shane

Shane

Unfortunately, there does not seem to be much good that comes from protesting these decisions, no matter how significant the outcry. In this case it is the National and Provincal Park services that seem to be orchestrating these closures. It is of interest to observe that (at present) is does not include the "Reserves" or ZEC's, so the Rouge Mattawin and the Mastigouche are not impacted, only Tremblant, in the Lenaudiere.

Many of you old timers will recall 5 or 6 years ago (mebbee longer)a lady judge in Montreal in response to a bunch of "Cottagers" along the Parc Lineare from Lac Carre on thru Tremblant Station who plead the court for relief from the disturbance to quietude and tranquility, ordered an 18 klick segment of the Linear Park closed to snowmobiles, bisecting the famous Petit Train du Nord trail from Ste-Agathe to Mount-Laurier. That ride was one of the most fabled in Quebec, not to mention the interconnectivity north/south in the middle of the Province. Dispite the full court press against it by FCMQ, local business interests, and hundreds of letters to the court, and then the provincal government by both Canadian and US snowmobilers, the ban was upheld and a last ditch appeal was squashed just last year.

The park services cite that snowmobiling is an incompatible use with the rights of use of other winter enthusiasts in National and Provincal Parks, and so all motorized use must cease (sound anything like Yelowstone, the Sawtooths, the Bitteroot, etc, etc?? Better give a little more generously to the Blue Ribbon Coalition, those of you sluggards who give a shit about access here in the US). There will be no more right of snowmobile passage after next year in the Parks.

I wrote 7 letters during the Linear Park debacle. I've learned that letter writing to the powers that be in La Bell Province is useless. Perhaps others results may vary?? As for me, and I believe many other, the inevitable reaction is to vote with my feet.

timbo

Shane

Unfortunately, there does not seem to be much good that comes from protesting these decisions, no matter how significant the outcry. In this case it is the National and Provincal Park services that seem to be orchestrating these closures. It is of interest to observe that (at present) is does not include the "Reserves" or ZEC's, so the Rouge Mattawin and the Mastigouche are not impacted, only Tremblant, in the Lenaudiere.

Many of you old timers will recall 5 or 6 years ago (mebbee longer)a lady judge in Montreal in response to a bunch of "Cottagers" along the Parc Lineare from Lac Carre on thru Tremblant Station who plead the court for relief from the disturbance to quietude and tranquility, ordered an 18 klick segment of the Linear Park closed to snowmobiles, bisecting the famous Petit Train du Nord trail from Ste-Agathe to Mount-Laurier. That ride was one of the most fabled in Quebec, not to mention the interconnectivity north/south in the middle of the Province. Dispite the full court press against it by FCMQ, local business interests, and hundreds of letters to the court, and then the provincal government by both Canadian and US snowmobilers, the ban was upheld and a last ditch appeal was squashed just last year.

The park services cite that snowmobiling is an incompatible use with the rights of use of other winter enthusiasts in National and Provincal Parks, and so all motorized use must cease (sound anything like Yelowstone, the Sawtooths, the Bitteroot, etc, etc?? Better give a little more generously to the Blue Ribbon Coalition, those of you sluggards who give a shit about access here in the US). There will be no more right of snowmobile passage after next year in the Parks.

I wrote 7 letters during the Linear Park debacle. I've learned that letter writing to the powers that be in La Bell Province is useless. Perhaps others results may vary?? As for me, and I believe many other, the inevitable reaction is to vote with my feet.

timbo

timbo,

I can't tell you how many letters I wrote and posts I made on mulitple boards about the loud pipes and discourteous actions along the railroad bed trail that crossed the yards and driveways of many residents. The ignorant and irresponsible response of so many was very disconcerting and sadly this is the result.

I too have thought about Ontario and it's possibilities.

Shane

As for the exact status for Mt-Tremblant park and around this season, I will come back to you in the beginning of the next week(in an other post) I can just say now that it is not all bad... brand new trails in sight :good:

Back to the topics here... Groomer, is it on 587 trail ???