Trip Setup

Lagman

I am so excited about getting up to ride in Quebec. I've been there a few times hunting mostly in the Rouyn area as well as north of river Rouge. I've been watching this site for a while and am looking for someone to make a trip with. I live in SE PA and want to hook up with some riders to go. Also I'd like to know what to bring as far equipment. Thanks for the replies!

Jim

Hi Lagman,

Welcome to Quebec Rider. Great site.

One option is to head to the HI (Holiday Inn) in Jonquiere, Lac St Jean. There are usually riders there that post here. Depending on your riding style, you could probably find someone to ride with.

A lot of riders from NY, NJ and PA base out of the St Zenon area. A little quicker to get to than the Lac St Jean area.

We go up almost every weekend for three to seven days. Where we ride depends on the snow and how much time we have.

Try posting with a little more detail about yourself and sled. How long you can go up for, riding experience, year and make of sled, riding style, etc. :hi:

We have had other riders tag along with us and it works out good if everyone is riding about the same. Likewise when I've gone up by myself, I can usually find someone to ride with.

Happy trails to you! :drinks:

Jack & Sandi :D

Hi lagman. Im from cleveland ohio and been riding quebec for 10 years. Rode many other places, UP, new york, Nothing compares to riding in quebec. Our family has a house in a small town called Angliers, only about an hour south from rouyn so maybe you've heard of it with your hunting trips. I ride with my brother and we are always looking for people to ride with. As soon as they get more snow we are on our way up. DO you know what part of quebec you want to ride?

Hello Lagman! Welcome to QuebecRider! I am also from SE Pa, Berks County. I will be heading up in 2 weeks. St Zenon area, what type of riding are you interested in? I always try to ride between 2 & 300 miles per day depending on conditions.

Thanks Qc friends.

About me, I have a '03 Yamaha rx1 ER LE. All of my riding has been in NY for about 5 yrs. I've been looking at alot of tourism map and stuff from the eastern side of Qc.(Saguenay, Charlevoix, etc) I was also wondering if you guys run studs? I haven't put them in because I like to throttle the turns and really don't get to the lakes. (do you have to run them in the North?) Since this is the time of year when work slows I was thinking about sometime in Feb. I see there are a few people from PA and NJ here too I'd like to travel with a group if possible. Other than that I have some of the neccessities like bags and GPS. I'd appreciate any help I can get preparing in advance because like my other trips UP I like to know what I need without over doing it.

Snowtodd, I haven't heard af Angliers but I will look into that (thanks) I went up through ON. but most times we traveled Rt. 117. I can remember in the 80's when it wasn't paved. (rough road lol) and it was pretty far to Valdor then up to Noranda.

Jim

Thanks Qc friends.

About me, I have a '03 Yamaha rx1 ER LE. All of my riding has been in NY for about 5 yrs. I've been looking at alot of tourism map and stuff from the eastern side of Qc.(Saguenay, Charlevoix, etc) I was also wondering if you guys run studs? I haven't put them in because I like to throttle the turns and really don't get to the lakes. (do you have to run them in the North?) Since this is the time of year when work slows I was thinking about sometime in Feb. I see there are a few people from PA and NJ here too I'd like to travel with a group if possible. Other than that I have some of the neccessities like bags and GPS. I'd appreciate any help I can get preparing in advance because like my other trips UP I like to know what I need without over doing it.

Snowtodd, I haven't heard af Angliers but I will look into that (thanks) I went up through ON. but most times we traveled Rt. 117. I can remember in the 80's when it wasn't paved. (rough road lol) and it was pretty far to Valdor then up to Noranda.

Jim

Good morning

You wont need studs Many do use them but in the past 8 years I have not used them at all. Mostly because of the 2 inch paddle that I stopped. As far as gear nothing special I would consider gantlets for you handlebars and make sure you have a heated shield. Beyond that basic sled essentials which I'm sure you already have. The type of riding you want to do is up to you if you want to do day trips Mount Laurier is a good place as well as to the east. If you want to saddle bag tour I would recommend Lac Saint Jean tour first. The ride takes you in to areas with lots of convenience and dealers at night. Ride out of Saint Raymond from your area 620 miles (I used to live at one point in Belts ville) no need to trailer to the lake 2 hrs more time unless the snow requires it.

I'm originally From Pa Bucks County actually my sleds are in Quaker town now. I will be going back to Canada in Feb 18th for a week trip depending on who I can get to go will determine what type of ride I do. Your more then welcome to put your sled in my enclosed or any one else if they are going that time. Perhaps a group ride could be put together?

office cell 321 474 4432 Jesse

Edited by rmk

Good morning

You wont need studs Many do use them but in the past 8 years I have not used them at all. Mostly because of the 2 inch paddle that I stopped. As far as gear nothing special I would consider gantlets for you handlebars and make sure you have a heated shield. Beyond that basic sled essentials which I'm sure you already have. The type of riding you want to do is up to you if you want to do day trips Mount Laurier is a good place as well as to the east. If you want to saddle bag tour I would recommend Lac Saint Jean tour first. The ride takes you in to areas with lots of convenience and dealers at night. Ride out of Saint Raymond from your area 620 miles (I used to live at one point in Belts ville) no need to trailer to the lake 2 hrs more time unless the snow requires it.

I'm originally From Pa Bucks County actually my sleds are in Quaker town now. I will be going back to Canada in Feb 18th for a week trip depending on who I can get to go will determine what type of ride I do. Your more then welcome to put your sled in my enclosed or any one else if they are going that time. Perhaps a group ride could be put together?

office cell 321 474 4432 Jesse

Hey lagman, like rmk said you will not need studs I have been riding Quebec for over 20 years and have never used or needed them. You really don't need a gps either as you will be on marked and groomed trails that can be accompanied by a trail map. If you will be going on a saddlebag trip your bags are very important. Don't rely on a dealer down home to mount your bags for you. First buy the best quality bag you can. I would buy the best bag Yamaha makes specially for your sled. It will fit and ride better. Make sure when you put your bags on they are good and tight. A loose flopping bag starts to rip very quickly. I also recommend putting a small kitchen type garbage bag inside your bag before your clothes, this will keep everything dry whether from snowdust or rain or whatever. I like to use ziplock freezer bags for my daily change of T-shirt/socks/underwear. I don't think you can go wrong finding a buddy on this site, most of us have been riding Quebec for years. Just be sure before you go to have your sled gone over, I have a very good dealer and while I am mechanically inclined I don't work on snowmobiles every day nor do I receive tech bullitins from Yamaha so I choose to have my sled gone over before a big trip. A few hundred bucks ahead of time may pay big dividends in the end. Remember this is not New York there are places up in Quebec where there is nothing in between gas stops for 90 or 100 miles, and a dealer could be a couple hundred miles away. Good luck on your trip. :drinks:

Thanks for the response. RMK I just might take you up on that offer. I'm in Langhorne. Viper I have the Yamaha bags for my sled just have to mount them. I see yoy are in Palmerton, I have a place in Arrowhwead and go to pocono motorsports for parts and some service. My sled runs great I've had it maintained yearly but still have the stock 1" track. By ther end of next week i hope i will be ready to ride anytime theresfter. I appreiciate the help.

Keep in touch,

Jim

Thanks for the response. RMK I just might take you up on that offer. I'm in Langhorne. Viper I have the Yamaha bags for my sled just have to mount them. I see yoy are in Palmerton, I have a place in Arrowhwead and go to pocono motorsports for parts and some service. My sled runs great I've had it maintained yearly but still have the stock 1" track. By ther end of next week i hope i will be ready to ride anytime theresfter. I appreiciate the help.

Keep in touch,

Jim

Sounds good. Langhorne are office used to be in Richboro. Then we moved out to York road and Edison Furlong Road. I moved the company south to Florida several years ago but still have family in the are. Usually spend my time in Cameron Country at the cabin. Mostly hunting the riding out their well they don't have any. Wow that is an area I haven't driven through in a few years. Visited my Uncles Chevy dealership in New town (before it closed) but I think that was the last time in the area.

Back to the real topic Choko saddlebags are very good. That being said i think you have them. Somebody mention Freezer bags that is the best way to go and what I do. Get a 4 ft cable from Home depot and a good lock for night time. Generally I nose the sleds in to each other and cable them. Only in the more populated areas generally I stay off the beaten track.

One thing you may want in your sled is food mre or trail mix beef jerky just in case of an issue. You will see ample riders but be prepared. I also carry a magnesium stick to light a fire and a ax or sev saw. I cant tell ya how many time that saw has saved others on the trail down off the trail.

If you go around the lake get off the main trans cana. trails take loops of locals and regional trails that will yield the most enjoyment and views.

P.s bring a pre paid phone card walmart what ever the cell charges are huge calling home. Over christmas this year my Verizon bill was 100 plus more then usual.

Good luck

Work is getting slow right now so, I was looking at probably first week in Feb. I imagine there are quite a few from my area also interested so maybe we could get a meet (skpe) together for logistical purposes. I just hope the conditions continue to improve. It seeems there are some good friends of this site who live and ride often up there that the condition and groomer reports are timely ( which I really appreciate). Let's just dance for a good heave of winter!

Jim