Trail Conditions 2011

revct1

See previous comments and conditions in the Maurice section.

We spoke with Bridget the owner of Lac Faillon. She said the gentleman is was speaking with is the new president of the snowmobile club. He is very active in the club and has made many changes, one of which is trail 83.

Thru the burn area, much of 83 now uses access roads instead of the old trail.

Monday morning we leave Lac Faillon continuing west on 83. We are excited to see the new 83 but I`m having flashbacks to the new 73. :unsure:

The 9 mile cul-de-sac back to 83 is fresh groomed. Oh boy. We hit 83 towards Senneterre and it is groomed. The first 10 miles or so are good and then we get back on the old road or logging trail or whatever. I don`t really care, this is wonderful. Most of the way to Senneterre is highway. This is great. Open it up.

At Senneterre, 83 is not as great. A little rough as we head down towards Val D`Or. We meet a groomer about 20 miles before Val D`Or. Much better but the snow is a little thin in spots.

If you haven`t been on 83 between Casey and Senneterre this year, you have to try it. We did hit it good with some of it fresh groomed but where the trail has been redesigned, it is fantastic. :good:

The only really bad section we rode thru was in Wemotaci.

Tomorrow we are heading to Matagami. We`ll report back when we get to the next computer.

Jack & Sandi :drinks:

See previous comments and conditions in the Maurice section.

We spoke with Bridget the owner of Lac Faillon. She said the gentleman is was speaking with is the new president of the snowmobile club. He is very active in the club and has made many changes, one of which is trail 83.

Thru the burn area, much of 83 now uses access roads instead of the old trail.

Monday morning we leave Lac Faillon continuing west on 83. We are excited to see the new 83 but I`m having flashbacks to the new 73. :unsure:

The 9 mile cul-de-sac back to 83 is fresh groomed. Oh boy. We hit 83 towards Senneterre and it is groomed. The first 10 miles or so are good and then we get back on the old road or logging trail or whatever. I don`t really care, this is wonderful. Most of the way to Senneterre is highway. This is great. Open it up.

At Senneterre, 83 is not as great. A little rough as we head down towards Val D`Or. We meet a groomer about 20 miles before Val D`Or. Much better but the snow is a little thin in spots.

If you haven`t been on 83 between Casey and Senneterre this year, you have to try it. We did hit it good with some of it fresh groomed but where the trail has been redesigned, it is fantastic. :good:

The only really bad section we rode thru was in Wemotaci.

Tomorrow we are heading to Matagami. We`ll report back when we get to the next computer.

Jack & Sandi :drinks:

Thanks for the report, looking forward to your next update. Especially north to Matagami and back south.

Hi 14 snow,

Welcome to Quebecrider if I have not said it before.

We left Val D Or this morning and headed up 309. Part of 309 has logging operations near Val D Or for about 10 miles. It is passable but slow. 93 into Amos is as wonderful as it always is. Then we took 307 north to St Dominique-du-Rosaire. From there on up, the trail runs the power line. There is a 10 mile section that the poles are being replaced so there is some equipment there but the trail is still fair to good. Other than that one spot, the rest of it was excellent.

First time we are at Matagami. The trail is marked good and well maintained.

We spoke with a gentleman from Ontario that came up from Lebel-sur-Quevillon on 396. He said that was fresh groomed. That is the way we are heading tomorrow. :yahoo:

Jack & Sandi

Thanks for the update and welcome. Being from Ontario, I try to ride areas of Quebec every other year. I love the trails and hospitality in Quebec.

I rode from Villebois to Matagami in 2007 and there was gas at Tembec's camp on the way up but that was all. It was what we called the day of the sticks. We had "slappers" coming up through the trail most of the way due to low snow. That trail would have been amazing if they were packed in the base. Good trip up otherwise and a better trip down the other side the next day. Our accommodations in Matagami were good.

From Matagami we rode 396 to Label sur Quevillon. The trail was very good. Gassed up and headed up the trail 93 railroad tracks towards Miquelon for the next gas stop.

We read that they had limited hours there this year. It is true. The Miquelon gas stop is open Mon thru Fri from 9 AM until noon. There are no posted hours for weekends. It was 1 PM when we were there and it was closed. We went all the way thru to Chapais, SLOWLY. :unsure: Well, not crawling. We ran 60 to 70 all the way. It is 130 miles.

There was a sign for gas at Desmaraisville but we were told later that that is not a gas station but has gas in plastic containers.

The trail to Waswanipi was marked closed.

Oh, most of the railroad tracks were fresh groomed. :yahoo:

NOTE. For those of you still reading -

We stopped at the Relais Chapais and we were told that at Miquelon you can call Claude Boutin at 819-753-2885 and politely ask him if he would come down to the gas station and open up so you can get gas. The lady at Relais Chapais says she does this for snowmobilers heading from Chapais and she tells Claude approximately what time the snowmobilers will be at Miquelon. So, if you are not going to be there during their short hours, either call Claude when you are leaving Label or from the Chapais direction, stop at the Relais Chapais and ask them to call for you. :help:

We stayed overnight in Chapais.

Jack + Sandi

Thursday we rode from Chapais to HI, Jonquiere.

Again, the trails have been recently groomed. It was cold so we stopped at Relais du Nord a little ways past Chibougamau. There are two new people running the relais. The two girls are no longer there. The guy speaks very good english.

He told us that the club runs the relais. The old underground gas tank was leaking and they have replaced it with an above ground tank. Oh, it is -35c. :shock:

I remember in the past that some sledders had issues with gas there. Hopefully this will take care of that. We decided to fill up there since it is going to the club. We did not have any problems.

At Relais du Nord, he also said the wood mill is being dismantled. You can still get gas there for this season though. Next year maybe not?

We met the groomer, which was heading north, about 25 miles south of the relais. :yahoo:

We decided not to gas at the wood mill and go straight thru to La Dore. It is 120 miles and the Doos did not have a problem.

The rest of the trip to the HI was fine. The trails were in good shape, a little more traveled on but good.

We are at the HI and riding with Bill and MichRev for a day. Bill will post for today. Tomorrow we head back to the truck in St Raymond. If I can get to a computer, I will post, but 23 thru Le Tape is usually very good.

Jack + Sandi :drinks: