Trip Report

Mid Range

Day 1 Feb 10 Maniwaki- Parent 231 miles

We left at 8:00 a.m.Temperature was minus 22 degrees.We took TQ 13 north til Grand-Remous then R322 thru Baskatong Reservoir then TQ 13 north of Ferme-Neuve til Ste-Anne du lac.Trails were top notch.We stopped for lunch at resto du touriste.I spoke with Steve(the owner) and he was telling me about several complaints from snowmobilers that it was rough most of the time between Pourvoirie 100 lacs and Parent.Also he was telling me that next year TQ 13 would be rerouted from Lunic to Parent to skip 100 lacs.Anyhow after our lunch we took the local trail on Tapani lake til JB Scott.We passed the groomer south of JB Scott.Trail was 10/10.Then from JB Scott til Lunic,That stretch is twisty and conditions were still good with a few bumpy curves. 7/10.We fueled up at Lunic.From Lunic to 100 lacs trail was 10/10.From 100 lacs until you get to Parent road near the Hydro-Québec Power Plant you have +- 25 miles of very twisty trail but TQ 13 was in very good condition.Then from there to Parent it was 10/10.We stayed at Le gite near the Hotel Central.Jean-Guy(The owner is a great person).He is renting rooms at $30.00/night.Rooms are much more comfortable than the cabins behind the Central.You can have supper or breakfast at the coureur des bois in front of Le gite if you want.We had a couples of Quarts at the Central listening to the one man band and he was very good.Sylvie the owner paid us a few shooters as well.

Day2 Feb 11 Parent-Roberval 232 miles

After having breakfast at the coureur des bois,we left at 9:30 a.m.Temperature was minus 28 degrees and clear sky with an inch of fresh snow on the ground.We took TQ 83 east until Wemotaci.Trail was 10/10.From the 369 jct(going down to Casey) til Wemotaci,TQ 83 was freshly groomed.The 83 has been rerouted a bit for the better west of Wemotaci.We are skipping much of the plowed road before crossing the bridge getting into Wemo as well.Once we got to the gas station.The guy from the gas company was filling up the gas tanks.He was telling us that Wemogaz was out of gas from the day before.We stopped for almost ½ hour as per his recommendation as possible deposit might being brewed and landing in our gas tank.So after fueling up we kept going on 83 east.Just out of the village I knew there was a 20 kms stretch that was so and so but surprisingly the road was snow covered and we sticked on the road til you see the 83 east signs even though the 83 runs next to it.Wemotaci to Relais 22 was freshly groomed.We crossed Snowbound near the 22 as he posted on another thread.After fueling up and a quick break.Roberval was our destination.Again the 83 was top notch til 25 miles north of the 22.There is a 6 miles stretch of plowed road with lots of rock.There are some bridge repairs in that area near the one lane bridge(Trenche river).Passed the bridge, 83 was in top shape once again.Lots of hills and gullys going thru ZEC La lièvre east of the one lane bridge.Ste-Hedwidge to Roberval was good as well.

We took a 2 day break in Roberval

Day 3 Feb14 Roberval-Chibougamau 204 miles

We left at 8:30 a.m.Temperature was minus 12 degrees and it was snowing lightly with about 2 inches of fresh snow on the ground.We took R373.Trail was 7/10 with bumpy curves til St-Felicien.Passed St-Felicien 373 was in top shape til TQ 93 jct near La Doré.We fueled up there before leaving for the scierie 54 via Chibougamau Park.Lots of snow north west of La Doré.It was snowing hard but 93 was in top shape til scierie 54.We fueled up there and had lunch.The cafeteria is open from 11:30 to 12:15.$10.00 all you can eat.Hot meals,soup,salad,drinks and dessert.After having lunch we left for Chibougamau under cloudy sky but the north wind was picking up.Til Chibougamau,the 93 is much faster than La Doré-Scierie 54.There is a relay between Scierie 54 and chibougamau which is called Relais Barrière du nord.

La Doré-Scierie 54 +- 60 miles

Scierie 54-Relais Barrière du Nord +- 60 miles

Relais Barrière du Nord-Chibougamau +- 40 miles

We stayed at the Nordic and we used the heated garage for an extra $10.00.At this point we were getting worried about the weather as they were calling for a big warm up by the end of the week.Our next destination was Matagami but The weather channel was calling for above freezing temps for Abitibi as well as Chibougamau for Thursday the 17th.So we decided to head down to Senneterre instead of Matagami.

Day 4 Feb 15 Chibougamau-Senneterre 226 miles

We left Chibougamau at minus 30 degrees under clear sky.Chibougamau is located about 6 miles north of TQ 93.So we backtracked til 93 then toward Chapais.Chapais territory had been groomed the night before and trail was hard as concrete.We fueled up in Chapais at the shell gas station next to TQ 93.We left Chapais for the railroad bed that will lead you towards Miquelon on the railroad bed.It was god damn cold believe me.The only thing we had in mind was to get to Miquelon before noon cause the gas station is closing at noon.We got there at 11:30 a.m. and it was open.Chapais-Lebel sur Quévillon is 130 miles if gas is not available although the person who runs Chapais snowmobile club relay told us if Miquelon gas station would be closed, one person is selling gas near the Miquelon gas station.His name is Claude Boutin at 819-753-2885.I’ve been told at chapais relay that they will look into it for gas availability next year.So we kept going til Quévillon for lunch and gas.TQ 93 was in top shape again.Then we left for Senneterre.I remember last year Quevillon-Senneterre was in bad shape but not this year.93 was 10/10 all the way down til Senneterre.You have some fast nice straight stretches going down to Senneterre.Typical abitibi trails.We got to Senneterre at 4:00 p.m.We stayed at the Senabi.I have to say that Quevillon and Senneterre areas don’t have that much snow this year compared to normal winter.Some spots were thin between Quevillon and Senneterre.

Now.Once we got our rooms.We turned the tv on to watch the weather channel.We had reservation at the Continental in Val d’Or for Thursday the 17th.The forecast was not looking good at all.They were calling for a high of plus 3 degrees on Thursday in Amos and plus 5 degrees with some rain for Friday the 18th.So we decided to cancel our rooms in Val d’Or and head back to Maniwaki.We phoned in Maniwaki to get some input weatherwise.They were calling for a high of 0 degree with cloudy sky.

Day 5 Feb 16 Senneterre-Maniwaki 267 miles

Senabi has no restaurant,so we had some brownies for breakfast and left for Maniwaki at 8:15 a.m.TQ 83 was 9/10 til Louvicourt.Brand new gas station and convenience store there.After fueling up we headed down to Kitsisakik indian reserve on R386.Snow was getting thicker as we were heading south.We stopped for gas and a quick lunch in Kitsisakik.We left Kitsisakik for Le Domaine.R386 had not been groomed since the snowstorm from the weekend before.There were tracks with up to a foot of snow sideways.We met the groomer 25 miles south of Kitsisakik,he was heading north.We knew trail would be soft afterwards but nothing we can do.386 til TQ 63 jct is a very nice trail.Lots of snow in Laverendrye Park and it was groomed toward Joncas and toward Le Domaine.With milder temps trail was getting soft and sled somewhat pulling.The last 20 miles to Le Domaine coming in from the west is not very nice(lots of curves and hills).Once we got to Le Domaine it was minus 2 degrees.Kitsisakik-Le Domaine is 115 miles without gas if you don’t want to either go to Joncas or Pourvoirie Laverendrye.

Le Domaine to the Classic Restaurant in Lytton had not been groomed since the previous storm.These areas received more than a foot of snow.So the 63 was 7/10 til Lytton.But freshly groomed from Lytton all the way to Maniwaki but trail was soft.

Overall Trails were mostly in very good shape during our 5 riding days.We were supposed to ride for 7 days but the weather changed our plans.And glad we did cause we went thru a major thaw especially Friday the 18th as the temperature climbed to 11 degrees with sun wall to wall plus a strong wind from the south.

Here's a few pics

Our usual break on 322 near Ste-Anne du lac

P1060392.jpg

Lunic on TQ 13 east of JB Scott

P1060397.jpg

South of Parent

P1060398.jpg

Fueling up in Parent...cold beer waiting for me inside

P1060399.jpg

Le Gite in Parent

P1060403.jpg

at the Barrière du Nord on TQ 93.... 40 miles east of Chibougamau

P1060406.jpg

Heated garage at the Nordic in Chibougamau

P1060408.jpg

Groomers at the Chapais snowmobile club Relay

P1060412.jpg

To bad you couldn't make Matagami, it was the best we ever hit it as was the trail srtaight north from Amos to Matagami then from Matagami to LBS was just groomed! Chris and I were the only 2 sleds on it most of the way. Yeah the 83 and 93 were unreal this trip!!

Mother nature can be very cruel!!! Glad you guys had a nice trip. Great details!!! How did the Maniwaki area fare after the warm up?? We may be heading up the week of 2/28-3/4. Here in CNY it was 50+ on Friday. As of right now, its 13 and there is 6 inches of fresh snow on the ground!

How do you like the Polaris's? I should be in the market for a new sled soon....

To bad you couldn't make Matagami, it was the best we ever hit it as was the trail srtaight north from Amos to Matagami then from Matagami to LBS was just groomed! Chris and I were the only 2 sleds on it most of the way. Yeah the 83 and 93 were unreal this trip!!

tanx for your feedback...Matagami-Amos thru local trail was on our plans.

Mother nature can be very cruel!!! Glad you guys had a nice trip. Great details!!! How did the Maniwaki area fare after the warm up?? We may be heading up the week of 2/28-3/4. Here in CNY it was 50+ on Friday. As of right now, its 13 and there is 6 inches of fresh snow on the ground!

How do you like the Polaris's? I should be in the market for a new sled soon....

Temperature climbed to 11 degrees celcius on friday.We lost a good 9-10 inches if not a foot.Trails are icy and hard as concrete as we speak.We just need some fresh snow.Getting in and out of town is a nightmare.Mostly on cement or pavement.No snow on the bridge sidewalk.I think the western part of the province was warmer than the estern part.Like Trois-Rivieres and east wasn't that warm.

I like my sled....better handling than my 2007 Nytro.18-19 mpg....this a 750 Webber engine Turbo.with 140 hp.Good enough for me and good throttle response

Is it worth coming to canada? Or should we stay in the states? Thanks!