3.5 Day ride Gaspe

Andyman

Just had a great ride to start the season. Trailered to PALC Wednesday evening Jan 6th and stayed overnight at the Inter Provincial. When we left in the morning we found the first section of the TQ5 closed and it wasn't clear why. Now I know it was due to a logging operation for 25km. The detour is to the east and adds about 25km. Rode to Albertville and had breakfast with Groomer. The trails are open and groomed and in early season form. They are getting better with each grooming and snowfall. After leaving Groomer we did some scouting for a ride for the Gathering and then on the 591 to Matane. The Matane area had the poorest trails of the ride to this point due to the low snow cover in the fields. You can still ride but not perfect by any stretch of the imagination.As we rode east of Matane toward the St Paulin clubhouse they improved immensely. Lots of snow and very good trails to St Anne des Monts where we stayed overnight. 237 miles.

The morning found us riding the 5 east toward Mont st Pierre. It was in great shape except for the low areas near the shore where the snow cover was thinner. The motel in Mont St Pierre was closed when we got there so our breakfast plans changed to brunch in Murdochville! LOL Steven didn't like this!!! One area that was dirty was in Mont Louis as the trail is on the road to the wind farm and plowed down hard. After this is was perfect until near the 597 as it is not marked very well and you have to watch very closely to find your way to the 597. The 597 was very rough on the top end until Murdochville as it had not been groomed only panned.

Now comes the good part! From Murdochville to the 595 and then down to New Richmond was a 10 and I mean a 10!We did not stop at La Cache and have been told it is closed but not confirmed by us. Stayed overnight in NR 223 miles then headed to Carleton in the morning. The snow cover gets thinner near Carleton but still passable. We left Carleton and rode the orange trails heading north and are we ever glad we did! We rode from Carleton up to the west of La Cache then hit the 595 and rode to St Paulin and into Les Mechins for fuel with 150 miles or 240 km on the dials! We needed gas!LOL Absolutely one of the most beautiful rides I have ever done bar none. Finished the day in Matane 230 miles.

Sunday morning we rode local trails back to the trucks in PALC with 816 for the trip. Overall considering the low amount of snow we have had there are some super trails to be had and I would go back in a second. Well actually I am in 5 days.

Any questions just ask and I will see many of you on the 20th. I tried to grow a beard like Groomers it just didn't work! LOL

Andy

post-14-0-20555200-1326153717_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-33121400-1326153727_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-72623800-1326153740_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-52904100-1326153754_thumb.jpg

Excellent trip guys, no mechanical problems I hope. Do you know if the Motel Mont St Pierre was closed for the Holiday's or the season?

So you took the Chic-Chocs from 597 to 595 [shown as closed on infomotoneigistegaspesie.com], and missed piston alley? Any word if that stretch [597 south] is open to Chandler, or are they still logging down there?

So was your ride from Carlton to Les Mechins [150 miles] all open and groomed? You must have used some extra gas, eventhough you were going under 35 mph? Can you pencil-out that track on a map? I know there are a fair amount of orange trails down there and that's a long stretch.

Thanks for the report...

Excellent trip guys, no mechanical problems I hope. Do you know if the Motel Mont St Pierre was closed for the Holiday's or the season?

The Motel had a sign in the window saying it didn't open till 11am. We talked about it and this could be just until traffic picks up.

Not a good sign of the local economy though.

So you took the Chic-Chocs from 597 to 595 [shown as closed on infomotoneigistegaspesie.com], and missed piston alley? Any word if that stretch [597 south] is open to Chandler, or are they still logging down there?

Closed trails are for the adventurous. The only reason it shows al closed I believe is because it had not been groomed, panned only. I am not sure if all the

signage was up either. We went through the closed section down at PALC too, but I know that trail like the back of my hand. I don't know for sure on the south of

the 597 but I would guess the same thing, panned only.

So was your ride from Carlton to Les Mechins [150 miles] all open and groomed? You must have used some extra gas, eventhough you were going under 35 mph? Can you pencil-out that track on a map? I know there are a fair amount of orange trails down there and that's a long stretch.

The trail from Carleton to Les Mechins was groomed very good. Andy had some extra gas on but no one needed it. Stephen had 2.5 liters left, I had 4 liters, and Andy had 6 liters left in his tank when we pulled up to the pumps. The trail we took is on the new Gaspesie map, it runs from the very top of the Carleton loop to 15 km above the logging camp on the 595. I suspect Andy can send you the GPS track.

Thanks for the report...

Thanks for the report...

Gary I will send the track tonight when I get home from work.

Andy

Thanks. Were all of those orange trails around Carleton open? I always seem to miss them...

Yes they were and excellent conditions. Part of the reason they are in such good condition is the fact there are low snow

conditions near Carleton on the TQ5 so they have time to concentrate on these beautiful local trails. We met some locals

and I think they were quite surprised to see some tourists on their hidden gems!

Andy

Glad you had a successful and enjoyable first ride Andy !!!! Glen and I are going to Real Masse in St Zenon thursday morning for our first ride as well.

Will report when I get back.

Chris

Chris be careful you know you can get in trouble there! LOL

Andy

We did have a great trip and had good trails. Conditions there will be getting better daily now with new snow.

Here is Stephen up by the Radar Tower. Possible destination for a ride during the QR Gathering.

post-5-0-54600100-1326316208_thumb.jpg

This one was taken between La Cache and Murdochville.

post-5-0-36145200-1326316219_thumb.jpg

This one was take about 10 km from where Groomer starts grooming for his area, in Saint Tharrisus.

post-5-0-06260800-1326316232_thumb.jpg

Edited by smclelan