SMDS - Parent

Mid Range

TQ 33 closed between SMDS and Lac Repos. between the 360 and 345

Need to take 360 or 345 from SMDS to get to Lac Repos then take TQ33 to TQ13

ok so if I understand correctly I can take 33 north from SMDS then 360 and 345 to Lac du Repos??

Oupppss..............

sorry Mid Range, I think I have some cleanup to do on my mailbox.

You already received more information than I know. I was told that the #33 was still closed for logging but just read this in the trail condition web site:

Notice to users

*** Trail #33 is closed because of logging, between Pourvoirie Lac du Repos and Canadaventure only open from trail #360 to the beginning of Lac Villier.

maybe on CMIQ it would be possible to have more detail...

Alain

I don't understand why they just don't open the trail that goes up the middle through the Gros Brochet? That is a very nice trail and would be a good alternative. :unsure:

Edited by viper2

What I am saying is that people are riding the 33 through the closed section. I am not advocating that people ignore the closed signs but the reality is the entire section is closed because of a 3 mile stretch of plowed /sanded road for logging on the south end between the intersection of 360/33 north for 3 miles. We found ourselves at the south end with a decision to make as we had fueled at the cafeteria and did a dogleg into Canada Adventure and were told they had no fuel??? So we did not have enough fuel to do the 360/345 route and made a decision based on going back to Lac Taureau or taking a look at the 33 and then deciding. We stuck our noses into the 33 and met a group of sleds coming southbound that gave us our answer. The safest thing to do would be to have sufficient fuel to do the 360/345 route and avoid the plowed section and the logging activity. One word of caution regarding this trail and logging activity. When you are riding north on the 33 and you come to the intersection of the 360/33 shortly after the turnoff to Canada Adventure you arrive at a large logging road. The trail comes out right at the apex of the turn in the logging road a 90 degree left turn takes you on the closed 33 or straight ahead on the 360. The 360 goes straight ahead on the plowed rocked logging road through a very narrow bridge. This bridge is NOT WIDE ENOUGH FOR YOU AND YOUR SLED AND THE LOGGING TRUCKS THAT RUN HERE! How do I know this? Well when Mubs and I were riding around the area waiting for the balance of our group we did a reconnaissance ride to check things out. We sat at this corner for approx 10 minutes. I had my back toward the road leaning over my sled looking at the map and I felt a rumble and heard a huge noise and as I looked toward SMDS a very large logging truck came upon us at a very high rate of speed and entered this bridge WOW if we had of been crossing slowly on the bridge it would have been all over no question. Remember these trucks make their money by the amount of loads they can get to the mill hence the high rate of speed to get back to the woods and load again in addition they are in constant radio contact with each other and are ONLY WORRIED ABOUT OTHER TRUCKS! As we discussed this event we heard another loud noise coming from the east this time a loaded truck entering the bridge again at a rate of speed that would have meant certain death to a sledder if you had been on the bridge. So what we did was to get ready to ride then listened very closely to see if we could hear any trucks and we did not so we crossed the bridge and as we make our way up the right hand side of the road on the trail we met another loaded truck going southbound. In addition these trucks we met a plow/sand truck coming off the 33. Please everyone use extreme caution in this area especially during the weekdays. What makes this bridge so dangerous for sleds is that you can only see about a 100 meters past it to the east as it sits at the bottom of a descending left hand turn. If you are stting at the intersection looking east on the 360 and a truck shows up coming southbound it is less than 5 seconds and he would be on top of you with no chance to stop to avoid you as there is no room to pass and he can't stop that quick. I have more logging truck stories from our ride that I will pass along when I do my trip report.

Andy