Bad Snowmobile Accidents

Teet F8SP

We just got back from 3 days staying at Real Masse on 23, great place nice people, I'll have another report on the details of our trip but wanted to share a few bad experiences we came across this week...

Although places seemed mostly booked it did not seem busy in the St Zenon area this week compared to last times there. Monday we rode 2.5 hours before seeing another sled and saw less than 30 sleds on the trails all day putting on 220 easy miles before dark, just my father and I. We rode pristine groomed trails all day and based our routes on where the recent groomed trails took us rather than planning a route ahead of time. Monday, On the way back to Real Masse heading west on trail 350 around 4-5:00 we come across this scene and had a bad feeling;

2 Sleds parked on trail, not the side, one one the mid-left and back a bit was one more mid-right just parked and two guys standing in the the trail waving as I pull up. The gentlemen spoke pretty clear english and the look on his face is one I will personally never forget. The look of extreme shock and loss as he tells me they had a very bad accident. He explains multiple times it was very very bad and police are on the way. I asked him the first time if I could help in and he said there was nothing we could do it was "very bad" and again that the police were coming. I asked if he was sure if there was anything I could do or assist them with and he said no thank you there is nothing that can be done its very bad. We slowly creep by not wanting to look but seeing a new ski doo off trail maybe 15-20ft crashed in the trees with the rider covered up with jackets realizing a definite fatality. I said a prayer for him and his family while thinking how that could happen to anyone in this sport with one wrong move. There were a few small curves but nothing serious, not sure how it all happened?. We were 10 miles east of trail 23, we saw the police heading that way about 4-5 miles after the accident with the wagon in tow. Very sad to experience the looks on the two riders faces knowing they just lost a good friend or family member, reality humbles me immediately and we coasted the rest of the way back at 10-15mph realizing what just happened... We were going to continue riding but rather went back and had an early dinner... RIP fellow sledder!!

Tuesday around 5:30 we were on our way back on 23 heading north to Masse about 5 miles from camp and come across the police sled and large group of sleds on a uphill bend for us, downhill bend for them. 2nd person we speak to talks good english and tells us a couple from France on a ski doo goes off the trail and down an embankment. Both riders and sled real banged up, female passenger has a broken femur. The accident happened at 12:30 and ambulance arrived at Masse at 2-2:30 after sleds going back to report accident and then ambulance sled trailer to be towed to the site. The sled ambulance gets to her around 3:30 or 4 and at 5:30 they were just getting her pulled up the embankment. At Masse at 6:30-7 having dinner and they drive by with her in tow, back to the ambulance parked in the parking lot. Long drive to hospital, hopefully she will be fine and recover 100% but I am sure a bit of shock had set in by the time she was stabilized...

I will again remind everyone that the trials were very smooth with great snow pack providing great control and low traffic observed these days. I will not speculate how these accidents happened and thought long and hard whether to post these experiences but if this humbles anyone else like it humbled us, its worth it. They mentioned last year there were 15 snowmobile deaths up there, its so remote it takes a long time to get help and notify anyone of the accident. Drive within your controllable means, stay on your side of the trail and be safe everyone!!

Anyone else get any info on these accidents?

Edited by Teet F8SP

Monday Trail 350

Here....

A second snowmobiler died within 24 hours on the trails in the area, this time in the St. Zeno sector.

The accident occurred around 16:30 Monday on the snowmobile trail Federated 350 in St. Zeno. According to information obtained by the Journal of Joliette, the driver was traveling alone in his vehicle when he reportedly lost control before hitting a tree. During the operation, rescue teams have used a sledge to bring the victim to the ambulance. He was taken to the Regional Hospital of Lanaudière, where his death was confirmed.

Inexperience could be the cause of the accident.

It was the second death to occur on the same day in the area snowmobile trails. Earlier that morning, a man of 57 years of Blainville, was killed on Route 348, at the height of Saint-Cléophas-de-Brandon.

Also, a French tourist also died on February 9, in a trail of Saint-Come sector.

The other I find nothing. They don't report on all accidents usually just the Fatal's.

I would like to tell the friends and family of "Dallas" my condolences. He was the man on 350 who passed away.

I would also like to thank the Fire and Ambulance service for coming so quickly. They arrived at La Glacier within 20 minutes of receiving the call for help. They unloaded immediately and went to assist.

We sometimes forget the job they do until we need them the most.

Edited by catchem

Monday Trail 350

Here....

A second snowmobiler died within 24 hours on the trails in the area, this time in the St. Zeno sector.

The accident occurred around 16:30 Monday on the snowmobile trail Federated 350 in St. Zeno. According to information obtained by the Journal of Joliette, the driver was traveling alone in his vehicle when he reportedly lost control before hitting a tree. During the operation, rescue teams have used a sledge to bring the victim to the ambulance. He was taken to the Regional Hospital of Lanaudière, where his death was confirmed.

Inexperience could be the cause of the accident.

It was the second death to occur on the same day in the area snowmobile trails. Earlier that morning, a man of 57 years of Blainville, was killed on Route 348, at the height of Saint-Cléophas-de-Brandon.

Also, a French tourist also died on February 9, in a trail of Saint-Come sector.

The other I find nothing. They don't report on all accidents usually just the Fatal's.

Thanks Iceman - not smart to ride alone especially not experienced...

The man who died on 350 wasn't traveling alone. His friend was leading him at around 35 mph. I believe the report meant to say that there were no other sledders involved in the accident. I didn't read the report but I just wanted it to be known he was riding with his fiends.

Sad to hear. This brings up something I have been noticing more this year than ever before. While it was not an issue in these accidents it is still important.

Used to be when you gave a hand signal to on coming sleds of the number sleds in your group, most would reciprocate. I seem to pass more sleds that either ignore you or give a silly little wave back than those who signal back.

Sad to hear. This brings up something I have been noticing more this year than ever before. While it was not an issue in these accidents it is still important.

Used to be when you gave a hand signal to on coming sleds of the number sleds in your group, most would reciprocate. I seem to pass more sleds that either ignore you or give a silly little wave back than those who signal back.

Sad to hear and my condolences to their friends and family.

With regards to hand signals, in my opinion it is the worst thing to do. Many times I have seen the last person in a group giving me the signal they are the last rider only to have another group right behind them. Best to always assume there is someone around the next turn or crest. As well, never a good idea to take a hand of the bars when approaching someone.

Dallas was not traveling alone. There were 4 of us including him. My brother was 3rd and DAllas was following behind. It was his first day riding and we had done about 80 miles at the time of the accident. We were heading from Coin Lavigne to Koubecs. For an unknown reason he just missed a turn, went off an embankment and hit a tree dying upon impact. Having snowmobiled in Quebec for over 20 years, we are in complete shock and devastated. The article is correct in that he was doing around 35 so it's not like he was doing 50-70mph. Dallas leaves behind a wife and two children (daughter in college and son in high school) and many good friends and family.

Be careful on the trails, tell your buddies and family you love them everyday, and please continue to pray for his family and the other families affected by snowmobile deaths. Thanks to everyone here for their kind remarks.

Thank you Teet for following your gut and posting.

I will again remind everyone that the trials were very smooth with great snow pack providing great control and low traffic observed these days. I will not speculate how these accidents happened and thought long and hard whether to post these experiences but if this humbles anyone else like it humbled us, its worth it.

They mentioned last year there were 15 snowmobile deaths up there, its so remote it takes a long time to get help and notify anyone of the accident. Drive within your controllable means, stay on your side of the trail and be safe everyone!!

And thank you NJ for the clarity. I'm pathetically unable to imagine how you and yours feel about this tragedy. But we're all able to make very sure that Dallas' memory serves to save other's lives. Peace,

I don't want to take this thread off-track, but... I hope like hell that everyone keeps their hands on the bars, and doesn't signal to me and my loved ones that #1) They're in 50% control of their machine, and #2) They don't don't know how many riders there are behind them, so #3) When we see a "last" rider hold up a potato let's all ride as if Dallas is alive and well and rolling along as tail-gunner. R.I.P.

Wow. It shakes you to the core when accidents like this occur. My thoughts & prayers are with Dallas & all his family & friends at this time of tragedy & great loss. There are no words to express the pain all his family & friends must be going through. Thank you for sharing this tragedy. We all need to be aware that this could happen to anyone of us with an instantaneous lapse of attention or judgement.

Was Dallas from New Jersey also?

He's managing as best as possible but very difficult as we are so lost as to why he missed the turn when he made 100+ turns that day. Dallas was one of my brothers best friends. Thanks again for you guys stopping and helping us out and being supportive. We greatly appreciate all of the assistance by the local police and rescue teams as well.

Dallas was not traveling alone. There were 4 of us including him. My brother was 3rd and DAllas was following behind. It was his first day riding and we had done about 80 miles at the time of the accident. We were heading from Coin Lavigne to Koubecs. For an unknown reason he just missed a turn, went off an embankment and hit a tree dying upon impact. Having snowmobiled in Quebec for over 20 years, we are in complete shock and devastated. The article is correct in that he was doing around 35 so it's not like he was doing 50-70mph. Dallas leaves behind a wife and two children (daughter in college and son in high school) and many good friends and family.

Be careful on the trails, tell your buddies and family you love them everyday, and please continue to pray for his family and the other families affected by snowmobile deaths. Thanks to everyone here for their kind remarks.

Wow....that really hit home NJSkidoo, meeting you at Kanawata just a couple days earlier now hearing one of your riding partners passing in an accident, his age, children, where they are in life in school too close to home.

May your friend RIP and I will say a prayer for the family.

Being a victim of witnessing a fatal accident myself I feel the pain.

We have continued to keep you in our thoughts and prayers since the second we left the scene! Hardly an hour goes by without it crossing my mind... Condolences to family and friends as well!!