Gaspe trip report

scorpionbowl

There's plenty of gas around, it's just easier taking chances with the jerry, instead of refueling every 50 miles. Plus, now that I know the range of the Etec is around 100-105 miles, we can plan around that.

Great blog report SB, lots of details.

I like the gas stop contest...... Did you skip gas stops knowing you had jerry cans or is there a lack of gas stops in some areas?

SB

Sounds like you guys had a good time, Great report and pictures.

Glad to hear that John didn't need any duct tape to fix anything (rear window).

X-2 "I like the gas stop contest......" :friends: But the question is........how long will he stay in first place.?

of course BRP "tested" the gas mileage with no rider, no gear, on a lift...... makes the numbers better for sales.

Thanks

Bob

As for the gas contest, I was hoping I would run out at the pump yesterday @ 125 miles, the sled took 9 1/2 gals, but no luck (Yet)

Wow you were close....but its not just running out.... its running out and miles to the pump to get first place. :lol:

Wow you were close....but its not just running out.... its running out and miles to the pump to get first place. :lol:

I think i have the record for running out furthest from the pump.Back in about '95 or '96 we left Parent heading east on 83.There was 5 or 6 fresh inches on the ground from the night before so our "fearless leader" decided to take trail R until he saw the sign for outfitter Haltiparche,except he missed the sign! 20 miles after the sign he stops and says i think we missed the turn? A couple of us say hell yes 20 miles ago. So he says well this road has to go somewhere............famous last words.He and i were on Vmax 4's 1 -750 1-800 which normally got about 95 to 100 miles on a tank, but with these conditions and these speeds he ran out at about 80 miles..........just in sight of a tarped in gas pump of a summertime fishing outfitter.At the time we didn't know it but we were still 70 miles from the gas station! A couple of the guys in the group split a 6 gal can they got from a CN RR truck heading to Parent.They made it to the gas station..........better known as Relay 22!In the meantime we did manage to buy a couple gallons that we siphoned from a pickup truck,the guy was heading to Parent for his 10 day shift,so this got us a little closer.In doing so we passed 2 abandoned snowmobiles from our group of six.When our "leader" ran out of gas for like the third time we stopped and waited and pretty soon here comes a pickup truck.So we start flagging this guy down,get this it was one of our guys!Four of them made it in on 2 sleds and the guy that ran relay 22 gave them his truck to come and get us.We filled three of the sleds with enough gas to get in and loaded the last one on the truck.Only in Quebec would someone loan a total stranger their truck.We got in and filled the sleds,his truck, and our bellies.The really good part is as we were leaving to head towards Roberval a group that was getting ready to leave Parent that morning pulled in.They took the trail and it took them that long.That was probably the dumbest thing we ever did in Quebec,but you know what i will never forget it. :wacko:

• 3 weeks later...
I think i have the record for running out furthest from the pump.Back in about '95 or '96 we left Parent heading east on 83.There was 5 or 6 fresh inches on the ground from the night before so our "fearless leader" decided to take trail R until he saw the sign for outfitter Haltiparche,except he missed the sign! 20 miles after the sign he stops and says i think we missed the turn? A couple of us say hell yes 20 miles ago. So he says well this road has to go somewhere............famous last words.He and i were on Vmax 4's 1 -750 1-800 which normally got about 95 to 100 miles on a tank, but with these conditions and these speeds he ran out at about 80 miles..........just in sight of a tarped in gas pump of a summertime fishing outfitter.At the time we didn't know it but we were still 70 miles from the gas station! A couple of the guys in the group split a 6 gal can they got from a CN RR truck heading to Parent.They made it to the gas station..........better known as Relay 22!In the meantime we did manage to buy a couple gallons that we siphoned from a pickup truck,the guy was heading to Parent for his 10 day shift,so this got us a little closer.In doing so we passed 2 abandoned snowmobiles from our group of six.When our "leader" ran out of gas for like the third time we stopped and waited and pretty soon here comes a pickup truck.So we start flagging this guy down,get this it was one of our guys!Four of them made it in on 2 sleds and the guy that ran relay 22 gave them his truck to come and get us.We filled three of the sleds with enough gas to get in and loaded the last one on the truck.Only in Quebec would someone loan a total stranger their truck.We got in and filled the sleds,his truck, and our bellies.The really good part is as we were leaving to head towards Roberval a group that was getting ready to leave Parent that morning pulled in.They took the trail and it took them that long.That was probably the dumbest thing we ever did in Quebec,but you know what i will never forget it. :wacko:

I'm in tears reading this....that is one funny story, Glad you guys made it out ok.

Thanks for sharing.

Bob