Joliette/St-Zenon/Mattawin via #360 trail St-Maurice river and return by south #3 trail 18 feb 2012

towing

Saturday morning, sunny with passing clouds -2C. Krikri, my friend Snowcruiser and I begin a ride from the home near Joliette in the south of Lanaudiere. The plan is to ride north, take the # 360 north of the dam up to Mattawin. Then ride down on the St Maurice river and continue to get back home by the south # 3 trail. A good 280 miles+. Here's the planned route of the day

map.jpg

The groomer was passed during the night ... a picture is worth a thousand words ...

DSC01443.jpg

Warm weather of recent days had not made too much damage to the south trails, it's more the roadsides and some very thin curve that start to show signs of weakness ... Here in St-Felix we had a small snow border to go on

DSC01452.jpg

Fields north of St-Felix were incredible

DSC01460.jpg

Unfortunately, a bad mechanical trouble on Snowcruiser’s sled force him to change the plans and we towed his snowmobile in St- Cleophas south from St-Gabriel de Brandon.

DSC01461.jpg

Snowcruiser therefore replaced Krikri in back seat and I gave him a Yamaha ride to come back home to take his trailer and then we returned to St- Cleophas where Krikri waiting for us. This unexpected surprise has made the initial plan a little more uncertain because it was already 11:20 and we still had a good 255 miles to ride ... I said to Krikri “let’s go for it” and she replied “I follow you !!!”

Here north from St-Gabriel de Brandon

DSC01472.jpg

As soon as we climbed the steep hill in St-Damien, we saw that the snow changes from granular to powder

DSC01478.jpg

DSC01485-1.jpg

The trails were fast but with the mild weather and high traffic make ripple begin to appear on some spots. On the other side, there was alot of snow out there...

DSC01491.jpg

And soon we arrived at Réal Massé for lunch

DSC01494.jpg

We got a fast service far beyond our expectations. Arrived at 12:05. At 12:10 it was already ordered and I had my soup in front me. I put back the key in the ignition at 12:48 (eating / paid) It is near a record! The dining room was at 3/4 full when we arrived and full when we left.

Temperature side, it was too warm. Even if it was not melting, trails were softer and even if the dozer was passed in the night, the effect of traffic has increased and some bumps appeared faster.

DSC01495-1.jpg

So we continued on trail # 23 north ...

DSC01497.jpg

DSC01499.jpg

Many people on the trails Saturday

DSC01507.jpg

Here the # 23 just before the Cabanon

DSC01509.jpg

We stopped to fuel-up there to be able to reach the next fuel stop in Mauricie and we continued towards the dam

DSC01515.jpg

DSC01519.jpg

The sun hide and it was under a cloudy sky that we arrived at the dam

DSC01525.jpg

Two main valves were open on the dam and the flow rate was very high. This is the reason why it is not possible to use the new bridge down the river, the east side access is flooded.

DSC01529.jpg

and we took the # 360 down to Marineau

DSC01544.jpg

Looks good Alain, hopefully the weather holds up a few more weeks. My mom,dad and another couple are at LeCabanon right now and I am planning a Maine trip next week. If the weather doesn't hold for Maine I may be looking to go to northern Quebec.

We then continued

DSC01588.jpg

A bit farther, we climbed to an upper point of view

DSC01591.jpg

and then continued on #360

DSC01598-1.jpg

DSC01607.jpg

Here was the still beautiful view over the Mattawin river

DSC01611.jpg

DSC01610.jpg

The last stretch before Marineau was pretty bumpy due to the circulation.

DSC01615.jpg

Here too they thought to us with a snowy border

DSC01619.jpg

We arrived at around 16:00 to Mattawin. The solution to bumpy trails was there

Preparing to start his run

DSC01623.jpg

We took a few minutes break but not much because we wanted to ride the St-Maurice river before dark. So we continued southbound

DSC01628-1.jpg

DSC01634.jpg

And got on the St-Maurice river in the Mékinack

DSC01645.jpg

A bit bumpy but with a little speed we floats above

DSC01648.jpg

A few small patches of slush but nothing major

DSC01657-1.jpg

and we went to Grandmère

DSC01658.jpg

DSC01663.jpg

we got back on the land and ride to the #3 trail that we took in west direction. The sun was already down when we passed in Mount Carmel area where we took this picture which unfortunately does not do justice to the pink sky we had saw

DSC01668.jpg

We re-crossed the St-Maurice river to the height of La Gabelle bridge and had the chance to ride some freshly groomed sections between St-Etienne and St-Paulin where we stopped at Cabane a Gerry for supper

DSC01675.jpg

After a good meal break of around an hour and a quarter, we started the last strech to home. The #3 trail in Maskinonge area was begin to have some uncovered spot in the fields especially in some curves, it'll take some new snow soon to keep trails inthis area. The dozer that we met on his return in the St Barthelemy had done an excellent job to bring back snow in the trails in lean spots.

Our return was even enhanced with an unusual night show when we rode in the fields of the St-Norbert area: the Northern Lights (not sure it is the good term for aurore boreale in french). They lit up the sky across the horizon on the north side with a changing intensity light which gave the impression of some wave of light in the sky, simply beautiful.

We finally arrived home at 22:10 a bit tired but very happy with 305miles on the dreammeter.

In summary, it starts to look like spring along the St-Lawrence River in the south but once you go up a little to the north is still the big winter. The temperature the next few days will be crucial to determine the conditions of trails on the south of our area for the next weekend. Unless a deluge up north, is still solid for a while ...

Alain

Looks good Alain, hopefully the weather holds up a few more weeks. My mom,dad and another couple are at LeCabanon right now and I am planning a Maine trip next week. If the weather doesn't hold for Maine I may be looking to go to northern Quebec.

I'm not too worried for the north because they have alot of snow but the wheater forecast are to watch for the end of the week... <_<

Alain

DSC01634.jpg

And got on the St-Maurice river in the Mékinack

DSC01645.jpg

A bit bumpy but with a little speed we floats above

DSC01648.jpg

A few small patches of slush but nothing major

DSC01657-1.jpg

and we went to Grandmère

DSC01658.jpg

DSC01663.jpg

we got back on the land and ride to the #3 trail that we took in west direction. The sun was already down when we passed in Mount Carmel area where we took this picture which unfortunately does not do justice to the pink sky we had saw

DSC01668.jpg

We re-crossed the St-Maurice river to the height of La Gabelle bridge and had the chance to ride some freshly groomed sections between St-Etienne and St-Paulin where we stopped at Cabane a Gerry for supper

DSC01675.jpg

After a good meal break of around an hour and a quarter, we started the last strech to home. The #3 trail in Maskinonge area was begin to have some uncovered spot in the fields especially in some curves, it'll take some new snow soon to keep trails inthis area. The dozer that we met on his return in the St Barthelemy had done an excellent job to bring back snow in the trails in lean spots.

Our return was even enhanced with an unusual night show when we rode in the fields of the St-Norbert area: the Northern Lights (not sure it is the good term for aurore boreale in french). They lit up the sky across the horizon on the north side with a changing intensity light which gave the impression of some wave of light in the sky, simply beautiful.

We finally arrived home at 22:10 a bit tired but very happy with 305miles on the dreammeter.

In summary, it starts to look like spring along the St-Lawrence River in the south but once you go up a little to the north is still the big winter. The temperature the next few days will be crucial to determine the conditions of trails on the south of our area for the next weekend. Unless a deluge up north, is still solid for a while ...

Alain

Great great pics and reporting Alain,, Like always you do a outstanding job.. THANKS

Thanks guys :good:

got a trace of snow and just few drop of rain at home in the south but pretty mild today. The forecast looks way better now than few days ago for friday, probably nothing than clouds...

I still hope being able to start from home on the weekend to go playing in powder up north :)

:drinks:

Alain