St. Zenon

viper2

Just returned from a nice family trip to Le Cabanon. The trails ranged from fair to excellent with virtually no traffic until fri. afternoon. They definitely are down on snow from other years, but still plenty to ride and groom. The only places where there was any snirt or bare spots were the more heavier travelled trails close to St. Michel and some of the trails that run together near LeCabanon. There were hardly any rocks as reported last week it's possible someone was sent out "picking" them, in fact I have seen as many or more rocks in years with much more snow. Even with low traffic, the trails were being groomed every night, 360,345,318 all good wed. went through Mt. Tremblant to Macaza 2nd half towards Macaza hadn't been groomed in a while---- really needed it trail from St. Michel to cafeteria was hammered but smooth, just shot needed fresh snow. Trails to Repos excellent trail to Chateuvert and Kanawata in old location 20 miles from Repos by dam Gilardo. They are not grooming along the road from Repos out to Chateuvert. Went to Mattawin and was very good. Also went down past Lac Blanc on 350 and was smooth trails there too. Will give more details with some pics later. :good:

Great! Thanks for the report. Hopefully the trails will survive the rain!

yea, if they get much rain it will def. hurt some of the trails, last night they said one forcast is rain and another says 6-8 in. of snow. Lets hope it is snow. :drinks:

First day went to Repos, like a said a family trip me, my wife and 14 month old son and my mom and dad so every day only 3 of us riding and usually late start, mon. we left at 10:00 am. Went down across barriage and up 345 was all good until intersection of 345/33 (local)then 20 miles of stutter bumps until past dam Gilardo then very good to Repos and down 33 very good got on Lac Toro at Canadventure to other end at campground into St. Michel then back to Le Cabanon about 213mi. for the day.

can only take this picture in morning as they are all out at night

Repos

Corral at dusk basically the scene all week, we had the trails to ourselves and we loved it! :yahoo:

This is my first time with pics so lets see how it goes? :drinks:

Edited by viper2

Ok, I think I got the picture thing figured out, let's try again.

Day 2 left about 9:30 headed down across barrage and again up 345 about 10-11 miles this time making the right on local mauricie 33 down through burn.

Intersection of 345/33 (local) toward River Mattawin

on way back up from Mattawin took 360 all the way, anyone know this next landmark?

360 nice all the way

about 185 for this day all smooth nice lunch at Mattawin, more to come :good:

Day 3 left about 9:30 again headed down to St. Michel DS and over through Zec Collin to Parc Tremblant, as reported before trails smooth but snirty and then first 20 miles in parc very good to groomer turn around then BAD for 8 miles then a little bumpy but ok to Macaza. Much more snow in the center of the parc I think that is why there was the 8 mile bad section. The whole 2nd half hadn't been groomed for awile but the deeper snow got much rougher.

Frosty morning makes for nice sights

Hard to get going in the morning,but I have my little buddy helping me :good:

Gassed up on railbed-----Petite train du Nord at A'nnunction ?spelling then back to Le Cabanon basically the same route 192 miles.

Day 4 went to bank in St. Zenon trail down there was very good a big improvment the last 2 years, clean snow and no rocks. After the bank we crossed 131 at LuLu's and came down to La Glaciere and crossed 131 again onto 350. Took all the way to Lac Blanc and had a nice lunch then continued on 350 east till St. Paulin then realized we better head back as we did not want to return by Grand Mere, as we try to be back for dinner every night with the little guy. Took 349 north at Lac Blanc and then 318 west all the way to Le Cabanon all trails very nice although a little twisty down by Lac Blanc but plenty of snow.

My buddy wants a ride :clapping:

So a ride he gets :yahoo: He didn't want to get off :lol: oh well we leave at 9:30 again

one more day to go :drinks:

Day 5 leave at 8:30 me, mom and dad take 360/345 down over barrage very good shape...............by the way still using only one trail back and forth to barrage, I myself prefer it this way much nicer trail. Took 360 (first left after barrage) to 33 then went north to Repos trail was excellent.

Gas up sleds and fill up belly at Repos

New owners 2 weeks ago but still leave my marker there :lol::drinks:

we returned by same trail to barrage and still good

One of the most photographed landmarks in Quebec every winter, but today I figured I would give you the view from the north side.

Going to be back early so we took a little side trip looking for wildlife, took a left on zec road 31 approx 8 miles to intersection with zec rd. 311 which is groomed as 318 this pic is the 31/311 intersection. No wildlife but many track and beautiful scenery.

we ended the week with approx 940 miles and alot of time with family good trip good conditions hopefully the weather on monday does not hurt too much. :D

Really nice to see that you had a good trip :good:

I was i little worried about the conditions you had encounter because just before you arrivied there, the conditions back off after two very warm days with alot of traffic. The conditons i had seen on last saturday when it was unfrozen scared me a little bit. After seeing your report and riding the #345 trail yesterday, I am convinced, grommers do miracles there!!!

By what i seen here, seems you had very great time with your family !!!

Nice pics !!!!

:drinks:

Alain

Really nice to see that you had a good trip :good:

I was i little worried about the conditions you had encounter because just before you arrivied there, the conditions back off after two very warm days with alot of traffic. The conditons i had seen on last saturday when it was unfrozen scared me a little bit. After seeing your report and riding the #345 trail yesterday, I am convinced, grommers do miracles there!!!

By what i seen here, seems you had very great time with your family !!!

Nice pics !!!!

:drinks:

Alain

Yes Alain, we had a good time and thanks for your reports, they have helped us decide to make the trip. The groomers were out every night and I think that is what sets the Lanaudiere region apart from the rest, they groom before it really needs it to stay on top of the trails. I have ridden all over Quebec and I really don't think any other region could keep up with the traffic especially given all the miles of trails they maintain. :drinks: