Nice Quebecois Experience August 2010

NW_Vermont

I'll keep this as brief as possible. Topic: A way of saying Merci!

Me: Former snowmobiler from 1998-2000, Rode Vermont mostly, but ventured to Quebec a few times a year. Though I regret not making it north of St. Michel des Saints or the Mont Tremblant Park. I lurk on these forums because I still have snowmobiling "in my blood". I enjoy your stories and photos.

August 2-6, 2010: I was on a trip via boat-33' cruiser- from Vermont's Lake Champlain to Quebec City and then Montreal. This was via the Richelieu River, Chambly Canal, back to the Richelieu and then onto the St. Lawrence. Fantastic trip, my first time. Everybody we saw on our trip was friendly and understanding when we only know a few words of French.

When in the Quebec City area we ran into some mechanical problems with one of the engines/drive of our boat. The Marina in Quebec City did not have mechanic services, but recommended a mechanic. I only got a phone number.

A gentleman named Harold from a company called Mechanautic, based partly out of Parc Nautique de Levy (the Marina at the city of Levis) visited me in Quebec City at 5:30pm, which, for me, is after hours. He was very busy with other customers but arranged for us to be pulled out of the water the following day in Levis.

Normand Lapage the owner of Mecanautic, Harold, and a couple others repaired the boat in three hours, ending at 6pm. They didn't have the parts, but knowing that we needed to continue with our trip, took a bit of a risk for their company and fixed the boat the best they could. It worked and they did not charge anything more than their normal rate. In fact, only one person's time was charged when sometimes two people worked on it. Also, they didn't charge for Harold's trip to Quebec City the night before. I did not expect to be taken advantage of, but Normand and his company were wonderful and understanding. The bill was not very much and we eagerly paid it. Their repair allowed us to get 250+ miles to home. They saved our family's vacation.

So, I plan to write a letter to Mecanautic and the marina in Quebec City that referred them to thank them. This forum is visited by Groomer and others familiar with the Quebec City/Levis area so this is one way for me to say thank you to the mechanics for excellent, honest, competent service. Also, I can relate to a snowmobiler breaking down far from the truck and needing the snowmobile fixed by locals in order to keep going.

Perhaps Levis is small enough that some of you know these people, maybe not. Again, it is one of my limited ways of expressing thanks to somebody 3.5 hours by car from home.

NW_Vermont.

I'll keep this as brief as possible. Topic: A way of saying Merci!

Me: Former snowmobiler from 1998-2000, Rode Vermont mostly, but ventured to Quebec a few times a year. Though I regret not making it north of St. Michel des Saints or the Mont Tremblant Park. I lurk on these forums because I still have snowmobiling "in my blood". I enjoy your stories and photos.

August 2-6, 2010: I was on a trip via boat-33' cruiser- from Vermont's Lake Champlain to Quebec City and then Montreal. This was via the Richelieu River, Chambly Canal, back to the Richelieu and then onto the St. Lawrence. Fantastic trip, my first time. Everybody we saw on our trip was friendly and understanding when we only know a few words of French.

When in the Quebec City area we ran into some mechanical problems with one of the engines/drive of our boat. The Marina in Quebec City did not have mechanic services, but recommended a mechanic. I only got a phone number.

A gentleman named Harold from a company called Mechanautic, based partly out of Parc Nautique de Levy (the Marina at the city of Levis) visited me in Quebec City at 5:30pm, which, for me, is after hours. He was very busy with other customers but arranged for us to be pulled out of the water the following day in Levis.

Normand Lapage the owner of Mecanautic, Harold, and a couple others repaired the boat in three hours, ending at 6pm. They didn't have the parts, but knowing that we needed to continue with our trip, took a bit of a risk for their company and fixed the boat the best they could. It worked and they did not charge anything more than their normal rate. In fact, only one person's time was charged when sometimes two people worked on it. Also, they didn't charge for Harold's trip to Quebec City the night before. I did not expect to be taken advantage of, but Normand and his company were wonderful and understanding. The bill was not very much and we eagerly paid it. Their repair allowed us to get 250+ miles to home. They saved our family's vacation.

So, I plan to write a letter to Mecanautic and the marina in Quebec City that referred them to thank them. This forum is visited by Groomer and others familiar with the Quebec City/Levis area so this is one way for me to say thank you to the mechanics for excellent, honest, competent service. Also, I can relate to a snowmobiler breaking down far from the truck and needing the snowmobile fixed by locals in order to keep going.

Perhaps Levis is small enough that some of you know these people, maybe not. Again, it is one of my limited ways of expressing thanks to somebody 3.5 hours by car from home.

NW_Vermont.

NW Vermont

Great experience/story. I can not say enough good things about the people from Quebec. When ever you have a problem they go out of their way to help you. I have had a few of these myself and know of others who have also had them. When I hear people say they had the opposite happen to them I just don't understand it. Just my $.2.

hi nw vermont !!

always pleasant to meet great peoples when you have a problem far away from home .i won t be shy myself to help a complete stranger with a problem with his sled while grooming tq 5 here.

few years back, went grooming tq 5 and met guys from vermont where i turn around at the st fidele cable bridge .began to talk with them and they started to make jokes and it has been good laughs.spent about 20 mins with them and took a few pics.lots of fun meeting great peoples like that.

great story !!

groomer !!!

NW Vermont

Great experience/story. I can not say enough good things about the people from Quebec. When ever you have a problem they go out of their way to help you. I have had a few of these myself and know of others who have also had them. When I hear people say they had the opposite happen to them I just don't understand it. Just my $.2.

I too can my personal experience (break down) on two different trips snowmobiling in Quebec, and the great help I received from complete strangers.

I will keep going back, and I drive 17 hours to get there.

Bob

(Here in VA. & to far away from the snow)

NW Vermont

Bill, I agree 100%.........the people of Quebec have been the most friendly accomadation people I have ever met. Generosity is bred into them.........:bc:

Welcome NW Vermont,

I also have had very good experiences with the people of Quebec. Sandi and I ride as many miles as we can each year and whether it is just asking directions or a break down, the Quebec people do go out of their way to assist. The language difference sometimes makes it more difficult but it doesn't stop them from helping.

Thanks to everyone that has helped another and made this a friendly family sport.

Jack