Jump to content

TQ 93 to Mont Valin


iceman
 Share

Recommended Posts

Little argument on who will pay. 
 

i am confident someone will pay it.

 

Uncertainty surrounds the rights of way for the snowmobile trail linking Saguenay to the Monts Valin. The City of Saguenay believes that the bill should be split with Saint-Honoré. But mayor Bruno Tremblay takes a different view of the situation.

The section concerned is that between Parc de la Colline in Chicoutimi-Nord and the Trans-Québec 93 trail, in the Chemin du Volair sector of Saint-Honoré. In short, it's the link between Saguenay and the Monts Valin.

"It's the route taken by many of the tourists who come to the region to go snowmobiling in the mountains," points out Serge Gaudreault, Saguenay city councillor and chairman of the off-highway vehicle (OHV) committee.

For the record, Promotion Saguenay paid for the rights of way until 2017. At that point, Saguenay city council decided to assume the costs.

Except that last year, Club Caribou-Conscrits took care of it for free. "The club's directors came to see me to tell me that the city had to pay this year, or else they wouldn't turn up. They are also asking for feedback for last winter," explains Mr Gaudreault, who was unaware of the situation until last week.

If Saguenay still wants to contribute financially, he believes the bill could be shared with Saint-Honoré, since the trail is the link between the two municipalities. "They're asking us for $10,000. We think that the part that isn't on our territory should be paid for by Saint-Honoré. Without saying it has to be half and half, an effort could be made.

Serge Gaudreault points out that the City of Saguenay already pays around $200,000 in rights of way to snowmobile clubs. "We're the only ones in Quebec to pay that much. We do it because it's important for the economy.

In Saint-Honoré, the mayor, Bruno Tremblay, doesn't see why he should use public funds for this section. "It's the link for people going from Saguenay to the Monts Valin. We're just a stopover. For our part, we pay the right of way and maintenance fees from Chemin du Volair.

Mr Tremblay's position is inflexible. "We're not giving anything away. It will remain closed. Serge Gaudreault doesn't see it that way. "It has to be done. Everyone passes through there. It's a question of tourism and the economy. I'm optimistic that it will be resolved.

In the meantime, Club Caribou-Conscrits does not want to interfere in the public discussion, which is more of a political joust.

 

i had no Idea the Ville of Saguenay pays 200k in right of ways to clubs. 
wow

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m having a hard time understanding the  dollars  paid for right away? Is it implying  the city of Sagueneay is donating $200,000 a year to the club so they will groom to the city to bring in the tourism dollars? 
I don’t like to criticize clubs because l don’t know the facts but we were through Mont Valin area twice last February and early March and the grooming wasn’t up to normal Quebec standards and the weather had been ideal for good trail conditions. I’m only guessing the club is likely short of help to operate groomers the amount of hours needed for a busy area.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/28/2023 at 2:51 PM, Fuse6 said:

I’m having a hard time understanding the  dollars  paid for right away? Is it implying  the city of Sagueneay is donating $200,000 a year to the club so they will groom to the city to bring in the tourism dollars? 
I don’t like to criticize clubs because l don’t know the facts but we were through Mont Valin area twice last February and early March and the grooming wasn’t up to normal Quebec standards and the weather had been ideal for good trail conditions. I’m only guessing the club is likely short of help to operate groomers the amount of hours needed for a busy area.

I put a call in to the gentleman mentioned in story as Councilman for Ville Saguenay.

to ask about how the 200k is paid and why and to who. 

waiting to hear back 

Edited by iceman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, iceman said:

I think i might have scared this guy off with my questions. No call back.

Would be interesting to know the facts. 
Also be interesting to compare the funding models between Ontario and Quebec.

Fortunately for all of us the Quebec model seems to work. Incredible the $$$ spend on infrastructure like the bridges build the last several years and other trail improvements. 
 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Fuse6 said:

Would be interesting to know the facts. 
Also be interesting to compare the funding models between Ontario and Quebec.

Fortunately for all of us the Quebec model seems to work. Incredible the $$$ spend on infrastructure like the bridges build the last several years and other trail improvements. 
 

 

 

For sure i have not given up yet. I want to know who gets 200k from ville de Saguenay? Landowners for rights of passage? Commercial property that allow passage of trail? 
very curious

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Fuse6 said:

 

Fortunately for all of us the Quebec model seems to work. Incredible the $$$ spend on infrastructure like the bridges build the last several years and other trail improvements. 
 

 

 

For sure Quebec has it figured out for infrastructure and public buy in.  Snowmobiling is a way of life in PQ.  Trails through towns, on sidewalks, snowmobile silhouettes in crossing lights (La Tuque). Quebec sets the bar high for the rest of the world!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I recall on these forums quite a number of years ago that the farmers in this area were demanding money from the snowmobile clubs to cross their lands. As best I remember they did get paid. Maybe it is still a yearly thing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, mikerider said:

I recall on these forums quite a number of years ago that the farmers in this area were demanding money from the snowmobile clubs to cross their lands. As best I remember they did get paid. Maybe it is still a yearly thing.

I think it could be a combination of all things mentioned but still not able to get the actual answer from up there

Link to comment
Share on other sites

serge.gaudreault@ville.saguenay.qc.ca 

 

Think it would help at all if we emailed the councilor and president of ORV?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...