Border Crossings: IMPORTANT

mikerider

I just came across some information everyone needs to know. I have only got part of the story, but it appears Canadians are being denied entry to the U.S. if they have previously been caught bringing items across the border and not being truthful about such. This is happening even with items that seem harmless, such as certain foods, plants, meats etc. Border agents usually rattle off a list of things they want to know about. Be sure to declare what you have. The problems start if they find it after you did not mention it. Cigarettes and booze would be common things you might forget to mention. Its probably best to have them right out in the open, and not look like you are trying to conceal them.

I would imagine any infractions are listed in the computer and shared with the Canadian Customs agents, so I am guessing also that an American with such an infraction would most likely now be denied entry into Canada.

So, if you are asked about anything in your vehicle, many of these items would probably be okay to bring across the border if you are upfront and honest right from the start, and are willing to fill out the necessary paperwork to bring them across the border. (Remember when I was detained and had to fill out a couple forms for bringing back dog biscuits given to me from SagueanyBill. Had they found those without me admitting having them when asked about food products, I might have been put on the 'list').

Also beware, crossing the border with forbidden items that are allowed in one country and not the other, such as clothing items made of certain animal hides!!, would most likely get you on the 'Do Not Enter' list.

Another thing to consider, is the U.S. (and probably Canada) is currently on hightened security alert and probably will be for the next six months to a year. Border checks may be much more rigid than in the past.

Use good common sense.

Mike

Edited by mikerider

Good info. Anyone who buys liquor or beer cigarettes are usually mindful of quantity rules. If you were to buy more than the exempt amount you would be subject to paying additional duty on those items. We were told not to worry about quantity rules by border police. They said if you purchased two more cases of beer or an extra quart of liquor we could be pulled over to pay the extra duty. The problem is that the extra duty only comes to several dollars and the paperwork required is not worth the money collected. The border police wont bother to waste Canadian resources for very little return. It does make sense.

Hi Mike. Just a small addition to your excellent post. A few years ago I brought parts (track, suspension parts & other small parts), all new and worth about a thousand bucks. I paid for them in the states and had the receipt (luckily). What a ration of crap they gave me! I told them up front that I had them, kept me there for a couple of hours with the bull-shit, wanting to know why I didn't buy them in Canada, etc. It led to them checking my plate and insisting that my truck was registered in RI. When I finally opened my wallet to get my license they saw my badge and immediately backed off. I asked to see the computer and told them I wanted a print-out. I didn't get a copy and was sent on my way. They like to play games sometimes, of course I have had a few problems getting back into my own country.

Read your post about your trip out west and it brought back some good memories. I rode Me last winter and got one decent ride in. Never knew the trails were so good but their signage could use some work. Hope you are having a good summer. Take care!

Karl

I've always found the Custom Agents nice to deal with on both sides of the border. They have a huge responsibility, and any indicators or clues will send them into an investigative mode of looking further.

My point is, the old days of zipping through the border may be over. Don't get caught in even the smallest lie, or try to cross the border with a pair of Seal Skin Boots. In this new climate, it may be enough to turn you away at the border for future crossings.

Mike

• 1 month later...

Another thing to keep in mind. Should you be carrying a large sum of money, they only allow $5000.00 per person in your possession.

A buddy of mine and me went up one summer to purchase a couple of PWC, since the exchange rate was good at the time. We came across a

border guard who was forced to work a double shift because someone called out sick. Well, he wasn't happy and was making almost every

other car pull over to get checked out. Well, they found $10,000.00 in an envelope in my buddy's brief case. That would have been ok

since there were 2 of us but, because it was all in 1 envelope and not separated into 2, $5000.00 apiece, they confiscated the money

and we had to turn around! It took my buddy 1 year of red tape to get all but $1000.00 back, which they kept for the fines, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing really new about what items you can bring into the states from canada. I could remember over 25 years ago they confiscated certain vegetable and food items from us at the border after telling them what we were bringing back.

I guess they have inspections before getting approval upon entering on this stuff. The main thing is not to deny it.