Mt Valin Peak trails

actionjack

You cannot go to La-Hutte anymore. Instead they have 5 new summits for snowmobiles:

http://www.paradisdelamotoneige.com/11945_an.html

You can see them all in one day.

Unless they are freshly groomed and it is a perfectly clear day, I would spend my time checking out other stuff.

Hi Jack,

I will politely disagree with what Mark has posted. You should ride to at least one summit and then decide if you like beautiful, breathtaking panoramic views. I will agree, not everyone does.

If you are staying in Alma, ride to Le Dos de Cheval which is at the Valinuet end of Bras Louis. From the summit, you look down across the valley to the ski slope at Valinuet. As Paul from Maine commented, there aren’t many places that you can look down onto a ski resort. If it is overcast, the panoramic view may not be as nice but you will still be able to see the ski slopes at Valinuet.

I wouldn’t expect the trails to the summits to be groomed. It is tough on the groomers and they just don’t groom the trails to the summits as often as the trans-Quebec trails. The shortest summit trail is 1.5 km and the longest is 9 km from a federation trail. The trails can be rough at times but for me, it is well worth the ride.

You can do all five summits in one day but you will be rushing. The furthest one is Monts Sainte-Marguerite which is off trail 93 on the way to Six Mile Lake. The other four are closer together.

You are trucking from Maryland, take an hour and check out at least one of the summits.

Happy trails.

Jack & Sandi :)

Hi Jack,

I will politely disagree with what Mark has posted. You should ride to at least one summit and then decide if you like beautiful, breathtaking panoramic views. I will agree, not everyone does.

If you are staying in Alma, ride to Le Dos de Cheval which is at the Valinuet end of Bras Louis. From the summit, you look down across the valley to the ski slope at Valinuet. As Paul from Maine commented, there aren’t many places that you can look down onto a ski resort. If it is overcast, the panoramic view may not be as nice but you will still be able to see the ski slopes at Valinuet.

I wouldn’t expect the trails to the summits to be groomed. It is tough on the groomers and they just don’t groom the trails to the summits as often as the trans-Quebec trails. The shortest summit trail is 1.5 km and the longest is 9 km from a federation trail. The trails can be rough at times but for me, it is well worth the ride.

You can do all five summits in one day but you will be rushing. The furthest one is Monts Sainte-Marguerite which is off trail 93 on the way to Six Mile Lake. The other four are closer together.

You are trucking from Maryland, take an hour and check out at least one of the summits.

Happy trails.

Jack & Sandi :)

Thanks for the replies Mark and Jack. I will have 4 who have not ridden to La Hutte or even north of the St Lawrence before so we will at least visit one. This is meant to be a light day for those that need it, so I have plotted the Cave and the peak that overlooks the slopes - the one you mentioned Jack. If we get to see any more more it will be langiappe. When I got to La-Hutte before that trail was deep and rutted snow - fun on an Apex - we're cool with that.

Save the trip to the look-outs for a super clear day, you can then partially justify the 4 foot moguls to get to the top.

If its cloudy, pass for another day.

La-Hutte was my favorite, all the way to the top, right, over the beaver pond and up the single track to the top, awesome lookout.