4 day trip report

600IQHO

Headed up on 3/1 drove almost all day in snow from Albany all the way to the parking lot of Le Cabanon. LONG DAY! We still did our normal small loop around Zenon after the drive. All trails in good condition with a fresh 2+ inches on the trails. 40 miles.

Day 1

Left the Cabanon via trail 345 good shape and still snowing, this would be a common theme on this trip. On the way to the dam we discovered the trail to the new bridge was open. This trail was groomed with about 3 inches of fresh snow on it. The trail on the other side of the bridge was not. 2 foot moguls, lucky for us only about a mile till we got to trail 360. 360 was smooth and fast with with just a couple bumps.

post-269-0-88012500-1331080068_thumb.jpg

We fueled at River Mattawin and headed up to 355 and on to La Tuque. 355 was smooth and fast like normal with fresh snow, all trails on this day had fresh snow and little to no traffic. Lunch at Chez Marineau then fuel and up 73 to relay 22 miles. This trail was not my favorite but it was not bad either. It was smooth but quite twisty at spots. I got a little concerned when my low fuel came on at only 92 miles, but at relay 22 with 100 miles since the last stop relized I still had 13 litres left in the tank. We headed west on 83 to Windigo smooth and fast. Arrived just as it was getting dark. There were 3 guys there from New Hampshire. Stupid but I never got there names. I know they go on QR and I like to put faces to the members here if I can. Nice place to stay good food and this guy here know's when it is time to eat. He shows up at every meal. 267 miles.

post-269-0-01816700-1331081052_thumb.jpgpost-269-0-56718900-1331085965_thumb.jpg

Day 2

We woke up to some more fresh snow on the ground, and to our suprise right as we are leaving a little freezing rain, and some sleet would mix in at times but it was not bad enough that we could not see and it did not last that long before it was back to light snow. 83 all the way, as we got west farther the snow on the trail kept getting deeper. Again no traffic and only a couple tracks.

post-269-0-41321000-1331081782_thumb.jpg

Stopped at the Central in Parent for lunch, big mistake took almost an hour to get our food. Lost a lot of time. It also got very warm out low 30's. Headed into Clova for fuel and then quickly off as we were behind schedule and it was getting late. As we headed toward Balbuzard the snow got even deeper about a foot and it got real windy. It was hard to see the trail with all the blowing snow. We stopped and got 10 litres each at Balbuzard as that is all he would sell us at $2.50 a litre!! But pushing a foot of snow I did not want to take a chance. Finally arrived at Lac Faillon a little after dark. What a nice place and great hosts. I would recommend this if you are in the area. 291 miles.

Day 3

Again woke up to some more fresh snow on top of the foot they recieved the day before. The cold front blew through and also brought the winds. -12F on this day and it would not get much warmer the rest of the day. I was warned by a rider from Quebec not to take 83 west after the snow and wind but that was the way I was headed and no other way around it. I am real happy now that we got cross overs I do not think I would have made it with a short track. 3 to 6 foot drifts across the trail, a lot of time I was just guessing which way it went. This was tuff for me as I never boondock, so making it through here without an issue was a big deal. After 30 miles or so we finally made it to 386 and headed to Louvicourt for fuel and then south on 386 through the park. This trail was also good and again lots of deep powder on top. This is fun to ride in but it slows you down and is real hard on fuel. Topped off again at Kitisakiwinik and continued south to 63. 63 also good, stopped at Verendry for fuel only put 15 litres in each as they wanted $2.25 a litre! Continued east on 63 & it all went bad quickly. We passed a broken down drag on the trail and then it got ugly! Shall I even say Tugg Hill and it went on forever. Fueled at La Domaine and this horrible trail just continued, finally got to the Classic Motel and we had enough and called it a night. Not a place I would recommend but it was warm and had a bed. 287 miles.

Day 4

Headed out on trail 322, this was every bit as bad as 63 the day before. Took this trail till it connected with 63 east again. Here 63 was groomed and in pretty good shape. We headed up the local trails to see the summit of Devils mountain and the Chutes. These trails were all freshly groomed and perfect.

post-269-0-69736000-1331085539_thumb.jpgpost-269-0-83905600-1331085638_thumb.jpg

Headed back down to 63 smooth and fast on the rail bed. Would be a great trail except for the 30 stop signs through this section. Finally got to Mont-Tremblant Parc this part of 63 was perfect! Back to the Cabanon to end our first true bag trip. No breakdowns or off trail excursions. 227 miles for a total of 1112 miles for the trip.

Overall trails and snow conditions are in midseason shape at the last day of our trip. No one is out on the trails, it is dead! They are forcasting rain and some warmer temps for midweek, so who knows how they will hold.

Sounds like you had a pretty good trip Dave! Lots of snow makes for lots of memories. :good: I see you found out what 63 is about in and around Domaine and the trail down to the Classic. It's a shame that trail always has to be $@*t but I think they only groom it maybe once a year. We had a great trip to Maine tons of snow and lots of memories too. I think I am done for the year time to get back to work and the fuel for the trip up and back is starting to kill me, twice for the year is enough. :drinks:

It was a good trip. Days were longer than expected due to all the snow and slower speeds. I will never forget the section of 83 were the forest was burned down with the snow, wind and drifting. You are right about the fuel, not just in the truck either. About $200 a day in the sleds.

how do you think that area will be for this weekend 3-10 thanks for any info

I would think the northern part will be good. The snow coverage is good. You will really need to check back and see how warm and how much rain they get. Just looked at weather network. St Zenon showing 48F right now and forcasting 45F for Thursday. Not a lot of rain.

Day 3

Again woke up to some more fresh snow on top of the foot they recieved the day before. The cold front blew through and also brought the winds. -12F on this day and it would not get much warmer the rest of the day. I was warned by a rider from Quebec not to take 83 west after the snow and wind but that was the way I was headed and no other way around it. I am real happy now that we got cross overs I do not think I would have made it with a short track. 3 to 6 foot drifts across the trail, a lot of time I was just guessing which way it went. This was tuff for me as I never boondock, so making it through here without an issue was a big deal. After 30 miles or so we finally made it to 386 and headed to Louvicourt for fuel and then south on 386 through the park. This trail was also good and again lots of deep powder on top. This is fun to ride in but it slows you down and is real hard on fuel. Topped off again at Kitisakiwinik and continued south to 63. 63 also good, stopped at Verendry for fuel only put 15 litres in each as they wanted $2.25 a litre! Continued east on 63 & it all went bad quickly. We passed a broken down drag on the trail and then it got ugly! Shall I even say Tugg Hill and it went on forever. Fueled at La Domaine and this horrible trail just continued, finally got to the Classic Motel and we had enough and called it a night. Not a place I would recommend but it was warm and had a bed. 287 miles.

Too bad 63 was rough in the Park.We came back from Abitibi tuesday afternoon and the groomer had just pulled in Le Domaine.Trail runs next to highway 117 in some parts and you could see it was freshly groomed.Thank you for sharing your trip.

Too bad 63 was rough in the Park.We came back from Abitibi tuesday afternoon and the groomer had just pulled in Le Domaine.Trail runs next to highway 117 in some parts and you could see it was freshly groomed.Thank you for sharing your trip.

That's what they always tell me Mid Range......it was groomed the day after you went through...... :blink: I just wish one time it was groomed the day before I went through :pardon::drinks:

600...if 63 had not been groomed since we were thru I feel sorry for that long pull on the bumps...The burned out area is an experience, strange but neet in a way, it will regrow...All the rides are an adventure...

Tried to PM you would not go thru...

How has the fuel & oil mileage been on the new sleds? Mine is 2 years old and ready to trade, I'm not in love with Doo and come from Polaris. The new 800 adventure really has my interest.

Thanks

Phil

Edited by Phil 1

600...if 63 had not been groomed since we were thru I feel sorry for that long pull on the bumps...The burned out area is an experience, strange but neet in a way, it will regrow...All the rides are an adventure...

How has the fuel & oil mileage been on the new sleds? Mine is 2 years old and ready to trade, I'm not in love with Doo and come from Polaris. The new 800 adventure really has my interest.

Thanks

Phil

Hi Phil. Looks like you and guys were on a few good trips this year. I can't believe you are thinking Polaris 2 stroke, I thought for sure you would be on the 1200 club for your next sled. If you do get the Adventure I think you will really like it. So far a like my Rush but I only have 400 crappy New York miles on it.

Thanks

Phil

The burned out area was quite an adventure and I will never forget it! I am happy we went through it when we did. It was a nervous 30 miles that morning but when I think back it was also fun!

Pushing fresh snow and drifts I was around 12 or 13 mpg, the last day on hard fast trails between 16 & 17. Oil consumption is just rediculously good, 1100 to 1200 miles to a gallon!! That is a 600, I have read that the 800's use even less oil but the fuel milaege is not quite as good as the 6.

63 was actually pretty good until we passed the broken down drag that was left on the trail. 1 narrow lane to get past it. After that it was junk. The bad part was 322 out of the classic. The Groomer was sitting right next to the gas station at the classic and 322 was absolutally garbage. At that point I was very disappointed, but the trails up and around Devils mtn. and 63 and 33 the rest of the way back made up for it.

The burned out area was quite an adventure and I will never forget it! I am happy we went through it when we did. It was a nervous 30 miles that morning but when I think back it was also fun!

Pushing fresh snow and drifts I was around 12 or 13 mpg, the last day on hard fast trails between 16 & 17. Oil consumption is just rediculously good, 1100 to 1200 miles to a gallon!! That is a 600, I have read that the 800's use even less oil but the fuel milaege is not quite as good as the 6.

Thanks 600...My 2011 e tec 800 Doo is burning 1 quart to 100 miles...very poor, fuel mileage is around 15 - 16. I might have to look into a Polaris not sure if I am making a move this year but definitely next. :drinks:

Phil

Thanks 600...My 2011 e tec 800 Doo is burning 1 quart to 100 miles...very poor, fuel mileage is around 15 - 16. I might have to look into a Polaris not sure if I am making a move this year but definitely next. :drinks:

Phil

The 16 to 17 was on a good fast run. On average it is around 14 to 15. I cant say enough about the oil. I topped off the oil resevoir at about 550 miles and it took slightly under 2 quarts.

Are you not looking at the 1200? I might be wrong but it seems like half the Doo's I see in QC are 1200's.