Difference betwenn Quebec and the UP????

gashog

Hi,

We do a trip every year in Quebec in the Maniwaki area and head north as I have have a lakehouse in the area. This year as always was good. However, I have a chance to do a second trip in the UP of Michigan I have tried to find out the major differences between the two areas but nothing conclusive. I suspect MI is just much slower due to the amount of traffic. Anybody have anything else to add? just looking for differences...

Or ask Michigan Rev

I rode with him 2 weeks again in the Lac St Jean region

Hi Ray, had a great time, I knew I was in good hands when everybody I was riding with a GPS but me, LOL

When it comes to riding in the UP it's when you ride that is key. Let me start by saying the UP is no Quebec, not even close. But with that said the UP can be good. Before I started riding in Quebec I had spent years riding the whole UP. It was the challenge of riding in a different area that drove me to Quebec. One of the major differences is the amount of connector trails. In Quebec, even on the busiest days you can get out and away from the crowds if you choose, it is so vast. Sometimes in the UP if you want to get from point A to point B you might only have one choice. I would say the trails are better marked in Michigan than Quebec. In Michigan all intersections are clearly marked to help you decide which way you want to go and orange trail markers to remind you are on a trail. Also alot of "you are here" maps located on the trails. Just yesterday we drove 2 hours north to Grayling (in the lower penisula) started there and rode north to the Mackinac Bridge. We rode 226 miles and the trails were some of the best I've ridden in Michigan. All were perfectly groomed and we probably seen 15 sleds all day long, BUT that was a Tuesday in March, so again timing is the key. I think if your looking for something different and your trip includes some midweek riding you won't disappointed in what the UP has to offer. I hope this helps, best of riding wherever you decide, after all, any riding is good riding.

Dave

Thanks for the info. I have been thinking of trying something else along with my Quebec trips. Have done northern Maine the last 2 years. One problem for me with both ME and UP is it is a lot longer drive for me in the truck. I was also thinking Northern Ontario, I still love Quebec but have been pretty much on all the trails at least once I would like to try something new.

I have ridden most of Quebec & most of the UP over the years. It's about the same drive for me to the eastern UP or central Quebec, about 10 hours each way. I like to go to Lanaudiere between Christmas & New Year every year as we can generally count on snow, not so much in the UP. I would say that mid week, the UP and Quebec trail conditions are very comparable. On weekends, I think the UP gets beat up more, sort of like the St Michel des Saints area in Quebec. The UP tends to be more runs on long railbeds, sort of like the run from Val d'Or to Chibougamau. Agreed that the directions in the UP are much better than Quebec, but Michigan stopped lots of their safety trail markings this year. You're pretty much on your own to watch out for corners, bumps, hills, etc. I will say that Michigan is much cheaper to ride, trail pass is $45 for the season, and they don't care what sled you stick it on after you buy it.

Food is probably a little cheaper in Michigan, gas & booze is Much cheaper. It's hard to generalize, but I would say there are more small towns with more choices for cheaper hotels in the UP than Quebec. I have no problem finding rooms for $70 in the UP, my experience is that Quebec is more the outfitter type lodging, where you will pay $80 or $90 per person for lodging, dinner, and breakfast. I would also say the food is generally better in Quebec, but you pay for it.

So, overall, it depends what you want. I enjoy both for different reasons. My wife likes to go to Quebec because it seems that there are more female riders there. In the UP predominantly male riders. I have a hard time finding buddies to ride in Quebec, the cost of the trail pass, gas & beer is just too much money. So I ride Quebec with my wife & the UP with my buddies.

For what it's worth.

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all that responded. Our trip went well, but hit some warm weather. Trails had lots of snow but groomers were unable to get out and it caused some seriously poor trail conditions in some sections. I agree with all the comments. The UP was soo busy on a Saturday we waited in line 30 minutes to gas up. Yet, at times the trails were so wide and fast I think only the far north of Quebec (Parent to Clova) could compare. There were sections I found myself bored doing 80MPH the trails were so straight and at times easily hit 100 plus MPH. I would also say another difference I noticed was that the UP trails seemed to lack a lot of the up and downs. In other words very flat. That is either good or bad based on personal preference. I was happy with the trip, but can't say I would choose it over Quebec but it was darn good.