Joliette/St-Raymond Portneuf, after thaw photo ride-report 23Feb2014

towing

Beautiful sunny Sunday morning, we know we are going to ride but we do not know where ... This last night was cold and after Friday’s thaw, the trails should be pretty nice here on the north shore of St-Laurence river but we give-up the plan to make a loop on the south side after the rain. An idea pop in my head: Is it feasible to go to St- Raymond for the lunch?? I look on the map : 160+ miles to go ... let's go to St-Raymond !

Here are the final track f the day:

carte_zpsfe64b1b8.jpg

As expected, trails were real highways waiting for us in the fields. Unlike most sledders, I love thaw . After storm riding is nice but the trail is too soft, you've got no ski grip and the trail got beated in no time But after the thaw when the rain is over and it freeze back .... yahoo!!!!

DSC02677_zpsf686cc23.jpg

The groomer was still at work here in St-Elizabeth near Joliette

DSC02681_zpse2d02be0.jpg

The trails were perfect and very hard. My venture fly as an arrow with just a light pressure on the throttle and when I let it, I feel it will continue forever. Here in St-Barthelemy area with the trail in the background above the barn ...

DSC02685_zps48c7bfb1.jpg

DSC02687_zpsbff00ecd.jpg

Here just a little further, on the most southern trail section closest to the St-Laurence river. There’s still a good snow cover, no earth in sight on the trail.

DSC02688_zpsd943731d.jpg

Here north of Louiseville in St-Leon le Grand area, the river is still strong

DSC02694_zpsb6f9c6d4.jpg

DSC02700_zpsfd729004.jpg

A little further back on the #3 trail we passed this Dozer still at work

DSC02704_zpsf37ebef1.jpg

And only a few miles away, his predecessor died on duty...

DSC02707_zpsc6345249.jpg

No water or ice on the crossing of the St Maurice River near the La Gabelle dam

DSC02710_zpsf8378da7.jpg

There was only a section that had not been recently groomed in this sector in Mauricie

DSC02714_zpsb38077cb.jpg

To get the most direct and fastest route, we headed on the #351 trail along #40 highway

DSC02720_zpseeb9bffe.jpg

Nice and very fast

DSC02718_zps01b731bd.jpg

Here near Champlain

DSC02721_zps54947e91.jpg

DSC02726_zps8fc3b1bf.jpg

The Batiscan and St-Anne rivers are still perfects

DSC02728_zps808de050.jpg

We followed the signs in St-Raymond direction. It went well up to the #353 trail in this area where the #23 north junction is really marked bad ... it's when I saw a #23 south sign while riding a few miles later that I realized that we had missed something...

DSC02732_zps29d7cebc.jpg

We tacked and took the right direction

DSC02734_zps063e0dd9.jpg

To finally arrived at the St-Raymond Roquemont around 1:15 p.m. with 169 miles on the dreameter... pretty much a new record for us in terms of milage before lunch but done in optimal conditions.

DSC02736_zpsf5e1f603.jpg

After a good meal we left, a little past 2:00 p.m. We took pretty much the same path to come back, except here where we passed through St-Basile village

DSC02737_zps0e931be6.jpg

Another groomer at work here on #3 trail

DSC02739_zps86e05fab.jpg

Here the #3 must be 4 dozer’s drags wide, impressive...

DSC02744_zpscc02f756.jpg

Here on the north side of the #40 highway just before the Batiscan river

DSC02749_zps2e6b1a8b.jpg

We crossed to the south side of the highway under the river bridge to continue. Take very seriously the warning sigh in this area, despite the beautiful speed tempting straight trail there’s a deer yard in the side wood. It’s when we stopped to look at a dead deer carcass on the side of the trail that we realized that it was full of deer tracks and small paths traced by these deer in the woods beside the trail. So be very careful…

DSC02757_zps81929a25.jpg

DSC02761_zps144e35c4.jpg

Unless that, beautiful trails for our return

DSC02762_zps9b55fad5.jpg

DSC02768_zpsce60c223.jpg

We only got few a few miles section really ruff near Lac à la Tortue who gave some work for the suspension

DSC02772_zpsb6258f3f.jpg

here just before crossing the St-Maurice river

DSC02776_zps66ca4be1.jpg

We took a break to do a last fuel up at the Shell in St-Étienne des Grès. Police ride on Polaris here!

DSC02779_zpse366bb1b.jpg

While waiting for Krikri that was inside to pay for gas, I saw our buddy RollerBoy that was just arriving there to fuel-up! It was really funny to meet him there, him a guy from Sorel who with his partner went having their lunch in St-Raymond too, but from Trois-Rivières. By the way, he is very satisfied with his Viper who had already 8400km made ​​this winter with just fun!

DSC02781_zps5deb5ba0.jpg

We then continued with the setting sun. We took substantially the same trail as when we went with the difference that we kept the #3 trail and passed near Berthierville. The trails were all still beautiful on the west side of St-Maurice up to home .

DSC02783_zps9e929645.jpg

We finally came dback home for super just a little past 7:00 p.m. with 337 miles on the dreameter. Speaking counter, our Venture celebrated its 35th (kms) on this ride

DSC02794_zpsce3e1db8.jpg

In summary, the thaw was not destructive at all and instead the conditions are in their best all across the north side of the St-Lawrence river. I know on the North of Lanaudière and Mauricie the precipitation were mostly sleet and snow, so very beautiful conditions through there too.

I would take the opportunity to thank the Grégoire Sport team

DSC02669_zpsfa8e8c3a.jpg

Through their representative Miguel Rodriguez, they allowed me to make a trail test ride on a Venture Gt matter of seeing how my Krikri and I would like it. In fact, it was in every point better than my old Venture except for darting because it had no SnowTracker like mine and obviously the rear skid, which unfortunately can’t be compared with the Expert-X skid I currently have .

DSC02676_zpsbc3265ba.jpg

Bye!!!

Alain

Nice ride Alain 169 before lunch with two on a touring hmmmm those trail were really sweet, when we passed through there on our way up to St.Zenon on Friday in the rain they were all groomed from the night before, made for a very flat wet ride. Good strategy on the clubs part, now look at the pay off beautiful trails.

Thank so for sharing Alain too bad about the south shore but I think you made the right decision.

JG