Some advice?

Scott66

Hey guys (and ladies) first time posting here, been watching and lurking all winter checking out all of the really cool posts pics & articles! We are headed up to St. Zenon Saturday and leaving from there towards Saguenay and points north & east. Plan on riding all next week and there are 4 of us.

My question is are there any places that are "must see" and any that are "must avoid" trails etc.??? I was up in that area about 15 yrs ago so I am sure quite a bit has changed. All very experienced riders and typically we ride southern Quebec, but this year, that is pretty much not an option.

Looking forward to any assistance, and thanks in advance for the help!! Also any help on places to stay would be great!!

Scott

Hey guys (and ladies) first time posting here, been watching and lurking all winter checking out all of the really cool posts pics & articles! We are headed up to St. Zenon Saturday and leaving from there towards Saguenay and points north & east. Plan on riding all next week and there are 4 of us.

My question is are there any places that are "must see" and any that are "must avoid" trails etc.??? I was up in that area about 15 yrs ago so I am sure quite a bit has changed. All very experienced riders and typically we ride southern Quebec, but this year, that is pretty much not an option.

Looking forward to any assistance, and thanks in advance for the help!! Also any help on places to stay would be great!!

Scott

Head to the MT Valin area (during the week preferably), and check out the local trails north of 93. Both east and west of Lamarche. Tons of snow, great views, lots of curvys and elevation changes and not much traffic during the week. Also 383 towards Tadousac (SE from Saguenay) can't be beat.

Welcome to QuebecRider Scott. There is plenty of reading material thru the different threads here. Lac St Jean is the gifted area this year. The clubs have been doing a great job of grooming and keeping up with the extra traffic.

Many nice places to stay depending on what you are looking for. There are a half a dozen really nice lookouts for breathtaking views. Weekends have more traffic and Mont Valin east gets hit the most. If you can avoid that area on weekends, you will be doing yourself a favor. 23 can get a bit rough on weekends also. The rest of the trails are hit or miss. There was a groomers map on FCMQ but it appears it is no longer being updated as of March 1st.

There are so many places that could be listed and relais to stop at, the best thing is to do some reading here first and then talk with other riders once you get up there. For the most part, wherever you ride, you should enjoy. The trails are well marked but grab a map.

If you were to stay in the Jonquiere / Chicoutimi area, day trips could include:

Tour de Lac 225 - 250 miles (Relais des Buttes good lunch stop, closed on Monday)

83 to Clermont and back, 220 miles

23 to L'Etape and back, 220 miles

93 to Auberge 31 or La Chappelle and back, 170 miles

367 to Relais Mont Vilain to Milot (truck stop lunch) and back 93, 200 miles

The distances depend on where you are staying and which routes you take but it will give you an idea of what is doable. Plenty of gas stops near the towns and a little less money but pay attention on the yellow trails. Don't get caught short on gas.

Happy riding.

Jack & Sandi

Good stuff - greatly appreciated! Keep it coming!! Where to unload/stay in St. Raymond? Secure parking? We have a reservation at the Glacier in St. Zenon as it's not to far of a drive for us (relatively) and it looked like the trails are very good and they claim secure parking. Open to suggestions. We have to grab our sleds in Pittsburg,NH (where they stay) but we are all coming up from MA.

Thanks again for all your great help!!

Jack & Sandi- Great detail, WOW, Thanks so much!!!

Welcome to QR. I will be staying at The Delta from Sunday the 6th till Sunday the 13th. I would be happy to help you if you stay there. I will be there with 3 to 4 others.

Cool. Can anyone tell me approx how many miles or km to Delta from St. Zenon? Delta seems like the place to stay up there.....thanks!!

Shane, what are you guys riding for sleds? We have Touring sleds 3 Ski Doos and a Polaris. I will look for you when we arrive.

All Doo's. I have an Enduro 1200, two 2016 XRS' one is a Gade, on 2015 Renegade X

I will likely be wearing a SLEDFREAK hoodie sweatshirt lounging around. Happy to be of help

Good stuff - greatly appreciated! Keep it coming!! Where to unload/stay in St. Raymond? Secure parking? We have a reservation at the Glacier in St. Zenon as it's not to far of a drive for us (relatively) and it looked like the trails are very good and they claim secure parking. Open to suggestions. We have to grab our sleds in Pittsburg,NH (where they stay) but we are all coming up from MA.

Thanks again for all your great help!!

Jack & Sandi- Great detail, WOW, Thanks so much!!!

Tons of snow in St Zenon, I just g0t back from la glaciere yesterday, you will be fine leaving from there. Yes parking lot is blocked with a truck and or chain at night.

Edited by snowdogs

We like KM31 in the Mont Valin area for an overnight. Good location for touring the local/orange trails. Also liked 93 around the lake, a first this year. Hotel Jardin in Saint Felicien was nice. We're headed up Sunday for a second week in the area. We are starting at the Delta. Snow was great two weeks ago.