Fatality

Saguenay Bill

Sunday morning at app. 3AM a 31 year old man from Chicoutimi was killed while riding his snowmobile on trail 368 in Laterriere. He failed to negociate a curve and went into a metal fence. His body was discovered by the Saguenay Club groomer operator at 5AM. I have no other particulors so please do not ask me any further questions regarding this unforturante incident.

Sunday morning at app. 3AM a 31 year old man from Chicoutimi was killed while riding his snowmobile on trail 368 in Laterriere. He failed to negociate a curve and went into a metal fence. His body was discovered by the Saguenay Club groomer operator at 5AM. I have no other particulors so please do not ask me any further questions regarding this unforturante incident.

Very sad.

Andy

There was an article in today's local paper that a gal translated for my wife and it said there has been 8 snowmobile related deaths around Quebec that have been due to alcohol, speed or a combination. When are people going to wake up.

2 more deaths last night Bill......head on collision between a groomer and a sled.Guy was 37(I guess) and a 15 years old young lady.It happened in the Mauricie region

2 more deaths last night Bill......head on collision between a groomer and a sled.Guy was 37(I guess) and a 15 years old young lady.It happened in the Mauricie region

People will never learn......do whatever partying you want to do......AFTER the ride has ended.....

It is a very sad situation that gets plastered all over the newspapers whenever there is a fatality- Alcohol, drugs, speed, wreckless driving. For all the anti snowmobilers out there this is absolute gold. The media makes us look like a bunch of wreckless, irresponsible alcoholics that never do anything but polute and make noise. I have been an avid snowmobiler since 1977- It's a passion for me. When I went for my first ride when I was 6 (in 1977) I remember having to beg my mother to go out with one of my father's friends on the back of a 1971 Snow Cruiser. 31 years later my mother still worries because of all the negative publicity we get. I would think on a given weekend in Quebec there has to be 50k sleds out there on the trails. If there is a fatality, front page news, Look in the paper monday morning to see how many fatalities happen on Quebec roads- 5,6 10? Little side bar on page 2. It only takes 1 bad apple to spoil the whole crop, from what you see in the paper that bad apple gets all the publicity and it unfortunately it is never good publicity.

It is a very sad situation that gets plastered all over the newspapers whenever there is a fatality- Alcohol, drugs, speed, wreckless driving. For all the anti snowmobilers out there this is absolute gold. The media makes us look like a bunch of wreckless, irresponsible alcoholics that never do anything but polute and make noise. I have been an avid snowmobiler since 1977- It's a passion for me. When I went for my first ride when I was 6 (in 1977) I remember having to beg my mother to go out with one of my father's friends on the back of a 1971 Snow Cruiser. 31 years later my mother still worries because of all the negative publicity we get. I would think on a given weekend in Quebec there has to be 50k sleds out there on the trails. If there is a fatality, front page news, Look in the paper monday morning to see how many fatalities happen on Quebec roads- 5,6 10? Little side bar on page 2. It only takes 1 bad apple to spoil the whole crop, from what you see in the paper that bad apple gets all the publicity and it unfortunately it is never good publicity.

TDI when I read your post it reminded me of my first exposure to snowmobiles. It was the winter of 1966-67 and my best friend got a brand new Ski-Doo. His dad would take us out on that sled and after the first ride I was hooked!!! I can close my eyes 41 years later and still smell that sled.

Andy

All of those deaths are certainly tragic, but hitting the groomer is a preventable accident which could happen to any of us but for our own good fortune.

My otherwise great trip to Jonquierre last week was marred by the realization that I saw 6 groomers on the trail in three days (and the trails are excellent) - BUT THERE WERE NO GROOMER BEACONS!

If Collett is providing the beacons, then I suspect that these clubs have either not turned them on, or not replaced them when they purchased new groomers.

FCMQ needs to step up and make this a priority - these accidents are preventable!

Enough ranting, here is a shot from last week to show the excellent trail work that those groomers do (in silence!)...

GW