Motel Safari?

gizz

With all due respect to the family and friends of Bernard i'm curious as to what might or will happen to the Motel Safari this winter. It has been a favorite for many folks traveling to Quebec from the US. Has anyone heard anything since Bernard's passing? I'm hopeful they'll keep it open but i can't blame them if they don't.

I have been wondering the same thing for a while now. It would be nearly impossible for anyone to put the time and energy into Motel Safari and the Shawinigan area like Bernard did. I would hate to see everything he accompolished just go away. He was a huge asset to our sport and will be missed. :drinks:

Unfortuneately the demographic of the hardest working volunteers in our sport is closer to Bernards age. The chances of Bernard being replace by the same sort of dynamo is low. There needs to be more young and middle aged sledders step up and carry some of the load if we want this sport to continue in the fashion we have become accustomed to. Todays youth by and large just want to pay for their pass and have everything done for them. Most middle aged sledders are tied up with career and family. We are in a hard spot. Snowmobiling in Canada generates 6 billion $$ per year. If the feds would give back their portion of the tax from that, we could hire alot of our jobs done.

My $0.02 worth.

Unfortuneately the demographic of the hardest working volunteers in our sport is closer to Bernards age. The chances of Bernard being replace by the same sort of dynamo is low. There needs to be more young and middle aged sledders step up and carry some of the load if we want this sport to continue in the fashion we have become accustomed to. Todays youth by and large just want to pay for their pass and have everything done for them. Most middle aged sledders are tied up with career and family. We are in a hard spot. Snowmobiling in Canada generates 6 billion $$ per year. If the feds would give back their portion of the tax from that, we could hire alot of our jobs done.

My $0.02 worth.

It's the same deal here in the states with regards to getting any of the young guys to step up. When the club I belong to here in NH has a work day, whidh is every Sat starting in mid Sept, it's the same old gray beards carrying the load. The club talked about hiring some of the work done. I'll know at our first meeting in Sept if we are going to do that or not. Our club here has a good bank account but if we spend it on hiring the trail work to be done, that means less money for groomer expenses, groomer fuel, etc etc.

You are both right!! Its the same topic this time of year. I hope everyone that cant or decides not to volunteer at the very least APPRECIATES all the time and effort that is done. Then there are guys like Bill and Bernard that fall in their own category!! Bill, 3 years ago it was your posts that got me to Quebec and your knowledge that got me from Bernards to the HI on flat smooth trails!!!!! In the world we live in today people like you are few and far between!! I hope I get to buy you another cold Molson again this winter. Thanks for all that you do for all of us. :drinks: Jim

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone, I haven't attempted to commentr on any board for over three years except a few times on Sled Freak, because I get hammered, and you know what, I don't need that garbage in my life- having said that, I know Rob who runs this board, and I trust he will delete any of that garbage,

Now about Bernard. He died of heart failure July 2nd at the hospital in Shawinigan. He had spent the long day working in his tomatoe plantation and it was about 100 F and very humid all day. He went to bed, not feeling well. At midnite he was taken by ambulance to the hospital emerg room, where he passed away soon afterwards.

Mrs C, tells me Motel Safari will be business as usual, but adds that she won't be able (obviously) to do all the extra things that Bernard used to do for the guests.

I asked if there was anything I could do to help her, and she declined. Seems she will do things a little differently than before, but I think if you know the ropes at Safari, you'll be fine. She will have Robert the helper to give a hand in the snow removal and parking area.

Bernard was a close friend of mine, and even tho his cigaretts drove me nuts, I will miss him greatly. My standing invitation to stay any time I want has not been extended this year, so I won't be at Safari this winter. I will do anything I can to assist the lady, if asked, but from all appearances, she doesn't need anything from me.

I suspect she is simply a little weary of all the years of snowmobile action, and just want to run a motel now. She is a great person and will be gracious and happy to see you all.

I think if you stay there it will be business as usual, with alot less cigarette smoke, and a big hole where Mr Snowmobile used to stand. I am very sad.

That makes two big holes for me, Bernard and Crazy Al. To top it off, my dog Rocky passed away Sept 11 2008.

I will be staying all over Quebec as usual, and hope to see you all on the trails in Quebec. I hope to catch a ride with Saguenay Bill at the Hi. I met him at New Hampshire, what a guy!

I will ride with Jean at Beaulieu and Richard at Mekinac. I hope to spend some time in the Bar at Esterel with the beautiful Wanda. I will share a few days of riding with Map Man Denny at the Chute in St-Michel, and ride LaTuque with Robert from Relay 22. I hope to have fun with the good people of Rabaska and ride with Mario at the Comfort Inn in Mt Laurier again. I want to go for a ride in Chibougamau with Jean Guy and Natalie. Denny from the Escapade promises to spend a few with me in Shawinigan. and if I get tired I want to spend a week in the Gerry cabin at 100 Lakes.

But I will miss breakfast with Bernard. I will miss the pounding on my door at 6 am. I will miss the advice he gave, and his good natured co-hosting on Zen Talk. Most of all, I will miss the one free beer. Good bye my friend. I will see you when I get there. I miss you, alot. and when it begins to snows in the Mauricie, I will be thinking of you, jamming that old pick up back and forth in the parking lot.

Bernard was your name, and sledding sure as hell, was your game.

zw

• 4 weeks later...