saddlebag planning - Mont Laurier - Ville- Marie

schooter

Planning a saddlebag trip for Late January, looking at options from Mount- Laurie to Ville-Marie.as one leg of the trip.

Looking to stay west of Mount- Laurie first night and then travel west on 63 to Belleterre or Ville- Marie area.

Lodging options  - our typically riding ~ 250 miles a day..

Looking at trail 63 and understanding what type of trail (Tight, wide/Open) 

Typical conditions early in the season?

Appreciate the help/recommendations

Schooter

Where will you be coming from the day you are approaching Mont Laurier?

If your not familiar with Mont Laurier area should try to pass by Devils Mountain lookout and the Chute Du Windigo waterfalls. They are close together and I can map them out if you want. 

Rabaska Lodge or Village du Windogo would be good lodging options. Both on the east side of the Baskatong Reservoir. Hopefully by the time of your trip the Reservoir crossing is open, trail 322 then you can take it west then drop down to the 63.

l have travelled the Mont Laurier area multiple times but have never gone west on 63 so can’t comment on it

Fuse6

We are planning to leave from Le Cabanon .

We have never been in that part of québec, so recommendation are most welcome 

schooter

Schooter, here's a map showing Devils Mountian and Chute du Windigo

#1 Devils Mountian Lookout, small restaurant right at the drop, not always open, depends on day of week and weather.

#2 Chute du Windigo waterfalls : very interesting falls, definitely worth the time if can fit it in.

Screenshot (36).png

Edited by Fuse6

On the screenshot below it shows the Trail 63 running east from Mont Laurier down to Nominique. It is a rail trail, lots of road crossings and driveways. I would avoid it. From River Rouge head north on the 319 then west across 322. All the area and trails  north of Mont Laurier are great, blues, orange or green doesn't matter. Pick a loop based on the time and miles you have planned for that day. Usually significant more snow north of Mont Laurier than south due to the higher elevation.

Ater you depart LaCabbanon  you will travel east to the junction of trail 33 and 63. From here trail 63 that goes over the top of Tremblant park is a park road. Groomed double wide and is a rocketship ride east to River Rouge. 

Screenshot (37).png

That part of 63 that is the rail bed probably has more cops and radar than any place I have ever ridden in all of Quebec, it can take a while on weekends when it is patrolled heavy, a lot of complaints from neighbors there, like Fuse said, avoid that if you can.

As you travel west on 63, you will come out at LaMacaza almost at a small airport. There will be a gas station/restaurant/bar across the road from the airport.  Fuel up there.  Then you will need to back track a short ways to 322 North/west as there is another thread that states that the trail is going to be closed somewhere between LaMacaza and Rivière Rouge due to a landowner dispute. This may change before the season begins? Anyways, if 63 doesn’t reopen/reroute into Rivière Rouge, back track the short ways to 322 to the junction with 53 and go south (left turn). When you get to the junction with 63, head west (right  turn).  This is the rail bed previously mentioned, Petit train du Nord.  That will take you right in to Mont Laurier.  I’ll estimate that riding at a leisurely pace, about 5 - 6 hours.  As for heading west out of Mont Laurier to Ville Marie, you’ll be on 13 to 322 to 63.  The last time I was on that route was the first week of February 2016.  All the way to La Verendrye was good.  Beyond that going the Belleterre  Looked like it was only open for a week or so.  It was good,  just some brush here and there from a groomers first pass with a drag...but it was still good.  There is no lodging available this year until you get to Belleterre where there is a Bed and Breakfast (Resto-Gîte Paquin). I never stayed there to comment, but some others on the forum may have input.  One thing for sure, you are in for a pretty big mile day.  To Belleterre it is about 280 miles to Mont Laurier.  To Ville Marie is 330 miles.  Hope this was some help, and have a great trip whatever you do.

Stayed at Paquin in Belleterre once years ago.  Two ladies ran the place.  Clean and well fed, but not much to talk about.  Definitely do not turn right up 309 to val dor using rapid Sept, that is a misnomer,  there is nothing speedy about 309, twisty at best and the dam crossing is a steel deck, hard on the carbides is putting it lightly.   For what it's worth, I always take 63 to 386 to 83 and back the same way. As gsx stated, 63 west of 386 can be late getting started and might not be a grooming priority.  Although I hear La Bannik in ville marie is worth the trip.  If you decide to take 386, when you head left crossing route 117 take it easy on the hills, they are pretty serious, more so than the stretch between Baie Comeau and Godbout every body raves about. 

20180219_130232.jpg

Thinking more about your route.  The highest probability on having a good trip to Abitibi using the Cab as a starting place, would be to head north to the repos then west to L'Abitibi through Manawan, you avoid the whole shit show down south that way. Might be a 30 mile rough stretch around Manawan, but once you pop out by Lunics where the othe club takes over it will be smooth sailing.  Stay at Meekoos then head west on 63 as previously stated and enjoy the best Quebec has to offer in Abitibi.  On your way back east from say... Amos, stay at Faillon,  then drop down to Kanawata then back to the truck at the Cab.   The Atmosphere in Amos is decent.  Heck you might bump into Jim and his wife Mrs. Jamieson having lunch at the Atmoshoere, I met him there once upon a time.  

La Bannik outside of Ville Marie is definitely nice.  Stayed there with my wife one night on a saddlebag trip.  You will score points if you are on a couples ride with your wives or girlfriends.  With a bunch of guys, where you need say 6 beds, you will need to be in multiple cabins.  With Truite Lake being closed this winter, we rerouted from 63 up 386 to Val d Or.  Too much of a day one from Mont Laurier to La Bannik for us.  Yes, 386 is a blast!  
Another nice loop coming back from Abitibi might be to continue on 83 then drop down to La Tuque, back to Le Cabanon.  Or cross on 93 to Chibougamau then down to Roberval, back to Le Cabanon.  Many options depending on how much time you have. 

thank you fall the help, trails to do and recommendation not to do 

ruff trip plan 

la Cabanon

west of Mount Laurier

Belleterre/Ville-Marie

Amos up to Matagami to senneterre

parent

back to La Cabanon 

planned 5 nights Saddlebagging 

leaving us 2 days of flex

we have been on some of the trails in the past but not on 63

We start out from The Quality Inn in Mont Laurier.Have not had any issues and if it works stick w/it.Get there 1pm ish and then do the Devils Moutain loop.

Funny.  Guilty on both counts...lol

The SQ spent the night in the building across the road.  In the morning it was so cold we tried to take a picture of the group on front of the place, but all you see was headlights poking through the smoke and steam coming off the sleds. I will see if I can find it to post again, it think I did years ago.