Snow Tires Law

Snobeeler

On our last trip we were stopped at a roadside check to see our tires. I knew about the new law requiring vehicles to have snow tires. I was surprised to hear that 4x4's also needed them. Our 4x4 vehicle passed, but they were not all seasons that are on a lot of trucks. I was told "All Seasons" do not qualify as "Snow" tires. I was also told by a local that the law only applies to Quebecor's. Does anybody know the facts?

On our last trip we were stopped at a roadside check to see our tires. I knew about the new law requiring vehicles to have snow tires. I was surprised to hear that 4x4's also needed them. Our 4x4 vehicle passed, but they were not all seasons that are on a lot of trucks. I was told "All Seasons" do not qualify as "Snow" tires. I was also told by a local that the law only applies to Quebecor's. Does anybody know the facts?

Yes I heard the law is for Quebecers only. Also heard there was a "shortage" in the province as they are dealing with this new law. I bet the tire companies are "rubbing" one off (no pun intended) over this one!!!

There are certain exceptions- I'll find the website. I do believe it is only for Quebec registered cars and small trucks. Here: http://www.mtq.gouv.qc.ca/portal/page/port...pneus_hiver#hap

Are vehicles from outside of Québec affected by this measure?

No, with the exception of certain rental vehicles. The legislative provision applies to vehicles (taxis and passenger vehicles) registered in Québec, as well as to passenger vehicles that are rented in Québec (regardless of where they are registered).

What happens if a tire bears both the “LT and “M+S” inscriptions?

A tire marked LT can be used in the winter period (until 2014).

Yes I heard the law is for Quebecers only. Also heard there was a "shortage" in the province as they are dealing with this new law. I bet the tire companies are "rubbing" one off (no pun intended) over this one!!!

Oh i think there was def. a pun intended on that one! :rofl::rofl:

:good:

There are certain exceptions- I'll find the website. I do believe it is only for Quebec registered cars and small trucks. Here: http://www.mtq.gouv.qc.ca/portal/page/port...pneus_hiver#hap

Are vehicles from outside of Québec affected by this measure?

No, with the exception of certain rental vehicles. The legislative provision applies to vehicles (taxis and passenger vehicles) registered in Québec, as well as to passenger vehicles that are rented in Québec (regardless of where they are registered).

What happens if a tire bears both the “LT and “M+S” inscriptions?

A tire marked LT can be used in the winter period (until 2014).

Thanks, that answers the biggest question. Vehicles registered in the US are not required to have snow tires while driving in Quebec.