Joliette/Rivière à Pierre/Lac Edouard/LaTuque pics ride report 24-25january2015

towing

The call of Nicole’s beefsteak was becoming more present… must say that a lac Edouard weekend trip has become a classic for us, so we went to sleep at Gite d’Edouard. Here the route of the trip:

carte_zpsr2izqyta.jpg

We left home around 8:00 Saturday morning, -3 ° C with a very gray sky. The lack of new snow fall become visible along St-Laurence river in the south of the area. From home up to Louiseville on the #3 trail, in fields curves and wood sections snow tends to change color and some curves (not many) were swept very thin but as we ride eastward there is more snow. From home up to St-Maurice river trails were freshly groomed, beautiful and fast. It was only the poor visibility that limited our pace a bit.

DSC05679_zpsktbft8m5.jpg

We were going to meet our friend Snowcruiser in Mauricie so we took the shortest trail path with the #3 + #63 trails and in Louiseville sector we cut between the 2 via the trails #350 and #A3

DSC05680_zpse61s5bko.jpg

To catch back on the #63 the trail then. The trace of snow we had got home overnight was a 3” there. With the wind there was surprising snow blades at some places

DSC05685_zpscfeintg9.jpg

Visibility in the woods was much better, as here near St-Etienne des Grès

DSC05692_zpskomxylji.jpg

Here when we crossed the St-Maurice river near Gabelle dam

DSC05697_zpsmrlocc7d.jpg

On the #3 to the east, we passed the dozer was at work .., with that warm temperature the result was very limited and we continued on average trail condition... it was just beginning.

DSC05707_zpst0artuew.jpg

We arrived at our meeting point at 10:45 at the relai de la station in St-Severin with just over 100miles on the meter. Our friend Snowcruiser who was leaving from Champlain area had just arrived there about ten minutes before ... excellent timing!

DSC05711_zpsuezmcgwb.jpg

We then ride to St-Tite

DSC05717_zpspqddlo7e.jpg

Before stopping for the lunch at Ste-Thecle

DSC05725_zpslft4buvv.jpg

We then continued north

DSC05726_zps2fl6sdoh.jpg

And kept the #23 toward Lac aux Sables. The scenery got notably more snowy

DSC05733_zps4cnf0uif.jpg

DSC05747_zpspjptyos4.jpg

DSC05752_zps4bibj4nz.jpg

The trail condition was inversely proportional to the beauty of the scenery. With this mild weather on a Saturday, it was somewhat expected ...

DSC05769_zpsgxfgg7bm.jpg

DSC05774_zpszfa2s5rn.jpg

We then shift on the #353 north and although the sky was gray we stopped at the tower to look at the view

DSC05784_zpsaq95vhfh.jpg

DSC05781_zps5xwpie2j.jpg

We then took the #73 to Rivière-àPierre

DSC05789_zpsqc0g2ve9.jpg

This one was strongly beated ... I cannot believe they had groomed it recently. At least the scenery was beautiful

DSC05792_zps9qn6ngfe.jpg

We refueled at Rivière à Pierre at 3:40 p.m.. Snowcruiser wanted to call Lac Edouard gite to advise that we might been later with the trail conditions, but there was no cell phone coverage there and the public phone refused to take credit cards so we gave up on this idea. I then made the prediction to Snowcruiser that we will arrived at Lac Édouard at 6:10pm, he was very skeptical.

We took the #73 north. Trail was even worse, continuous 2+ feet waves, worse in the curves ... I tried to be careful but even it not bottoming out, it was shaking like crazy especially for my passenger. I gave a try at speed to try to float over bumps, it worked…until I have no choice to let off the flipper and then it was like we were to break everything ... say that nobody has been cold on this section!

I shed a tear tear as we passed there seeing the place deserted, La Marmite closed this winter...

DSC05796_zpslh7gzito.jpg

We then had a very small break since the dozer had just started its run towards the north. We passed it about 2 miles away and it was still not better infront ... we stayed in misery up to the entrance of the Zec Jeannotte. The trail was then normally worn and fast riding worked to get us floating over the bumps. Halfway to the #355 we had the chance to cross the dozer from LaTuque, What a pleasure after the misery we just had to ride full-throttle on this fast track just perfectly groomed !!! we cath up some time there. The #355 towards Lake Edward was in good condition in the first half but worn on the second. We finally arrived at the Gite d’Édouard at 6:15 pm, not too bad in my predictions! Here fueling up in Lac Édouard village

DSC05809_zpshal6uzqd.jpg

We did 247miles for this first day. We had then relax the rest of the evening in this charming little place as we revel Nicole’s good meal. We talked a lot but say our day caught up on us and we had not stayed up very late that night, but we slept very well!

Day # 2 tomorrow ...

Just a teaser in the meantime:

DSC05943_zpsujvu7bzc.jpg

Sunday morning -20°C, beautiful sun on blue sky ... this day was looks good! After a hearty breakfast, we prepared and started our ride at 9:10.

DSC05827_zpssx4gc84y.jpg

The lake is always a good option over the trail in the wood for a quick stretch , it is well marked and indicated

DSC05839_zpsnl3hl9ws.jpg

What a pleasure to see that the dozers had worked over the night giving us just groomed perfect trails

DSC05862_zps0oijomcg.jpg

We quickly reached the #73. Here on the flat roof of this panel to give an idea of the snow to the ground

DSC05876_zpsh0o7mwcs.jpg

We took the #73 North

DSC05877_zps34c6bfxu.jpg

Who was also freshly groomed, very nice and fast

DSC05884_zpskfmwpnnn.jpg

We then turned south on #355 better known as the "pipeline trail"

DSC05906_zpshh3vxdif.jpg

I took the opportunity of this beautiful weather for a first test of my new toy… I look like a teletubbies with it on my head! I had filmed before with a Contour camera, and the results were disappointing in terms of image stability. Images were way too shaky to look at, it was not nice at all. I did this first Gopro test in 1080p wide ... too high for what I want to do but the result is very impressive. I watched it on my 60"tv at home and it is beautiful as a Blu-ray disc, no pixels and stability although not perfect is very good, I would say that it starts to shake a bit over of 60mph, perfect for what I want to do. The wide setting gives a special pleasant effect, I look forward to make a test in normal mode to compare. Now remains to learn to work with the video data ...

DSC05907_zpsap2detwo.jpg

This trail section was beautiful, a few holes to pay attention at some hills bases but still very fast and hilly

DSC05912_zpsvngupj9c.jpg

It was a really beautiful winter trail at its best with a perfect sunny day, around -12°C

DSC05923_zps3u6xrrwk.jpg

We took a short break under the famous railway bridge of la Riviere du Milieu

DSC05926_zpso8xhry2f.jpg

And then continue ...

DSC05939_zpsdgpf2hok.jpg

the #355 ...

DSC05941_zpshwowtzcn.jpg

And got on the next section of pipeline

DSC05943_zpsujvu7bzc.jpg

With nice big hills. It's too bad, with the Gopro in wide the depth effect is lost in these big slopes but it was a real pleasure to ride them

DSC05945_zps3l2tu8h0.jpg

We then continue south and stopped for lunch and refuel at St-Joseph de Mekinac

DSC05953_zpsxyg4tbbm.jpg

We then return a little on our steps to reach the #360 and took the trail on the St-Maurice River. The first mile is frozen rough ...

DSC05974_zpstntssanh.jpg

but it quickly becomes beautiful and very fast

DSC05984_zpst8xwgcug.jpg

DSC06008_zpstiiv0bia.jpg

There was some winter activities for peoples near Grandes-Piles, among others those nice giant kites

DSC06013_zps44tx7dhy.jpg

We then continued to Grandmere

DSC06027_zps7j1ee3o1.jpg

It was time to separate us from our buddy Snowcruiser near Lac a la Tortue, he would return home on his side while we were kept heading west. While we were talking to him a bit before left, a sledder stopped beside us

DSC06037_zpsxf1v2xnb.jpg

It was the only one Iceman ! No, I’m not on my knees on the picture…loll, he’s a big tall man piece. Even it was brief because he was not alone, it was very nice to meet him for the first time and put a face on the nick name. I’m now badged with my iceman's sticker!

Here we passed this groomer just before crossing the St-Maurice near Gabelle dam

DSC06053_zpsxqhutpzj.jpg

We had taken near the same trail as when we went except we pass at Charette

DSC06060_zps2mo6aynn.jpg

To see the Magnan fall who were unfortunately already in the shadows, too late in the afternoon

DSC06069_zpst2sc5y5b.jpg

We continued our way at good pace, the venture is a real trails eater in these conditions, at ease like a goldwing on the highway and it is watching the sun going down that we return home.

DSC06080_zpsicuqvsl7.jpg

DSC06084_zpsnwb5qm9m.jpg

We finally arrived at home around 5:30 pm with 224miles for the day, 471miles for the 2 days.

A very nice ride that become a classic for us, as much for the ride path than our host up there... A real good sled ride!

Alain