real masse- st zenon

bigadouch

we are headed for real masse's in st zenon! Can anyone say how the conditions are and the snow depths?

How are the conditions? Thank you

Alain? Any reports? Interested myself. The member named "towing", (Alain), usually posts about this region weekly. Wait for his next report.

we are headed for real masse's in st zenon! Can anyone say how the conditions are and the snow depths?

How are the conditions? Thank you

I spoke to some guys from PA this morning who had left St Zenon two days ago and they siad everything was good from there to here in the Saguneay. Tuesday morning a guide, who comes here every Monday from St Michael des Saints told me that 4 sleds had gone in the water on Lac Toro on Monday.

Bill

I spoke to some guys from PA this morning who had left St Zenon two days ago and they siad everything was good from there to here in the Saguneay. Tuesday morning a guide, who comes here every Monday from St Michael des Saints told me that 4 sleds had gone in the water on Lac Toro on Monday.

Bill

Thanks Bill! Wow! 4 sleds in the water is not a good thing.

I have never been there so i was curious to how the riding is.

Thanks for your reply

Bill

Let us know if you hear anything else.

Was everyone okay who went in?

Here i am :D

Sorry for the delays but I was a little busy in the last days :wacko:

I have not ride myself since the rain up there but all ride reports I have seen (many) on the french forums said that the conditions are from good to excellent, alot better that before the rain. They get between 8"-12" new snow on the very hard base left by the rain. Many trails have been report "like a race track", very very good. The south of Lanaudiere received just few inches of snow and is very icy, so don't go too south if you want to keep in the better conditions.

Here the link for officiel trail conditions: http://www.snowmobilecountry.ca/en/index.jsp?numPage=235

I don't ear about the sunken sleds on Lac Taureau but it is really possible. The Taureau Lake is a big reservoir that is lowered around 30' from december to april. It mean that it freeze at high level and the ice drop down on the bottom of the lake that had a very irregular relief, similar as the mountains around.... in reverse pattern. If you ride on the trail link between auberge du lac taureau and St-Michel des Saints, it should be no problem because it is a very deep part of the reservoir and the ice is still on water and the daily sled traffic since december have raise the ice thickness at a more than safe level.

But if you try to explore other parts of the reservoir, it can be very dangerous because you don't really know how strong is the ice cover under your sled, or if there is a 10' air gap between the ice and the water because of big rocks supporting the ice cover on just some points ... you see the picture... I had ride myself few years ago on some parts of the lake and it is very attractive because of this relief but it is also to much dangerous...

:drinks:

Alain

Here i am :D

Sorry for the delays but I was a little busy in the last days :wacko:

I have not ride myself since the rain up there but all ride reports I have seen (many) on the french forums said that the conditions are from good to excellent, alot better that before the rain. They get between 8"-12" new snow on the very hard base left by the rain. Many trails have been report "like a race track", very very good. The south of Lanaudiere received just few inches of snow and is very icy, so don't go too south if you want to keep in the better conditions.

Here the link for officiel trail conditions: http://www.snowmobilecountry.ca/en/index.jsp?numPage=235

I don't ear about the sunken sleds on Lac Taureau but it is really possible. The Taureau Lake is a big reservoir that is lowered around 30' from december to april. It mean that it freeze at high level and the ice drop down on the bottom of the lake that had a very irregular relief, similar as the mountains around.... in reverse pattern. If you ride on the trail link between auberge du lac taureau and St-Michel des Saints, it should be no problem because it is a very deep part of the reservoir and the ice is still on water and the daily sled traffic since december have raise the ice thickness at a more than safe level.

But if you try to explore other parts of the reservoir, it can be very dangerous because you don't really know how strong is the ice cover under your sled, or if there is a 10' air gap between the ice and the water because of big rocks supporting the ice cover on just some points ... you see the picture... I had ride myself few years ago on some parts of the lake and it is very attractive because of this relief but it is also to much dangerous...

:drinks:

Alain

Can't get any better of a report than that. Very interesting about that lake.