Lanaudiere update (3 dec. 2010)

towing

Hi guys :)

Here the last press release from yesterday:

Rawdon, December 2, 2010 – It was learned yesterday that local farmers are keeping to their decision to withdraw access privileges to their lands for snowmobilers and ATV-ers. Lanaudière is one of the areas affected by this decision; however, its impact will only be felt in part of the region. Tourisme Lanaudière wishes to reassure visitors and tourists that they can enjoy snowmobiling throughout most of the region, particular in northern Lanaudière, where there is an extensive network of trails.

This means that more than 1,500 kilometres of snowmobile trails will be open this winter in Lanaudière. The sport is a big draw among enthusiasts from Québec, Canada and other countries due to the region’s abundant and early snow. Members of local clubs have already been preparing trails. They are expecting snow in sufficient quantities to be able to maintain safe, high-quality trails giving users broad access to Lanaudière and neighbouring areas.

We can confirm that snowmobilers can enjoy unimpeded use of many trails, particularly in the municipalities of Saint-Donat, Sainte-Émélie-de-l'Énergie, Notre-Dame-de-la-Merci, Saint-Michel-des-Saints, Saint-Zénon, Saint-Jean-de-Matha, Saint-Gabriel-de-Brandon and Saint-Côme. We invite all snowmobile enthusiasts to visit www.snowmobilecountry.ca for information about trail conditions and to obtain their membership card as soon as possible from a local snowmobile club.

For ATV users, although the decision particularly affects trails located in the south, they can still practise their sport in the areas of Saint-Donat, Saint-Alphonse-Rodriguez, Saint-Côme and Saint-Michel-des-Saints. Local clubs can inform you on which trails are accessible. To locate clubs in the region, visit www.lanaudiere.ca

Tourisme Lanaudière believes that the farmers’ decision to continue taking tourist areas and visitors hostage could have an adverse impact on our tourism industry in the long term. To this end, we again call on the Government of Québec to propose a viable solution to the farmers by mid-December. "Given the significant potential impact on snowmobilers and ATV-ers who visit our region, and on Quebec in general, the parties involved in this dispute absolutely must recognize the importance of finding a sustainable solution to this recurring problem," said Évangéline Richard, President of Tourisme Lanaudière.

Lanaudière region is a very popular winter tourism destination, especially for snowmobile and ATV enthusiasts. Tourisme Lanaudière, in partnership with its members, is investing more than $130,000 annually in the promotion of snowmobiling and ATV-ing, with estimated economic benefits to the region of $80 million annually.

Source: http://www.lanaudiere.ca/en/medias/item/251/snowmobiling-and-atv-ing-to-go-ahead-in-lanaudiere-this-winter

So actually, those 1500kms will be able to connect to the west to Laurentide area (Macaza direction), to the north to Senneterre/Parent and to the east in Mauricie direction to rivière Mattawin and laTuque. They actually estimate that we should have at least 4000kms of connected trails accessible from here.

Those are the last news I've found. We all hope that the farmers blockade finished soon but if we figure to start the season with it, this the picture at this moment.

I keep you inform when I have more details...

:drinks:

Alain

Alain,

Thank you for the information, It would be good to see a trail (FMCQ interactive maybe?) map that would indicate where there is a problem with connectivity.

I am just picking up on the words from the above "throughout most of the region" and "can enjoy unimpeded use of many trails"

This knowledge would add confidence to the words from the tourism department.

Thank you for providing the most upto date reporting on the subject.

Schooter

Hi guys :)

Here the last press release from yesterday:

Rawdon, December 2, 2010 – It was learned yesterday that local farmers are keeping to their decision to withdraw access privileges to their lands for snowmobilers and ATV-ers. Lanaudière is one of the areas affected by this decision; however, its impact will only be felt in part of the region. Tourisme Lanaudière wishes to reassure visitors and tourists that they can enjoy snowmobiling throughout most of the region, particular in northern Lanaudière, where there is an extensive network of trails.

This means that more than 1,500 kilometres of snowmobile trails will be open this winter in Lanaudière. The sport is a big draw among enthusiasts from Québec, Canada and other countries due to the region’s abundant and early snow. Members of local clubs have already been preparing trails. They are expecting snow in sufficient quantities to be able to maintain safe, high-quality trails giving users broad access to Lanaudière and neighbouring areas.

We can confirm that snowmobilers can enjoy unimpeded use of many trails, particularly in the municipalities of Saint-Donat, Sainte-Émélie-de-l'Énergie, Notre-Dame-de-la-Merci, Saint-Michel-des-Saints, Saint-Zénon, Saint-Jean-de-Matha, Saint-Gabriel-de-Brandon and Saint-Côme. We invite all snowmobile enthusiasts to visit www.snowmobilecountry.ca for information about trail conditions and to obtain their membership card as soon as possible from a local snowmobile club.

For ATV users, although the decision particularly affects trails located in the south, they can still practise their sport in the areas of Saint-Donat, Saint-Alphonse-Rodriguez, Saint-Côme and Saint-Michel-des-Saints. Local clubs can inform you on which trails are accessible. To locate clubs in the region, visit www.lanaudiere.ca

Tourisme Lanaudière believes that the farmers’ decision to continue taking tourist areas and visitors hostage could have an adverse impact on our tourism industry in the long term. To this end, we again call on the Government of Québec to propose a viable solution to the farmers by mid-December. "Given the significant potential impact on snowmobilers and ATV-ers who visit our region, and on Quebec in general, the parties involved in this dispute absolutely must recognize the importance of finding a sustainable solution to this recurring problem," said Évangéline Richard, President of Tourisme Lanaudière.

Lanaudière region is a very popular winter tourism destination, especially for snowmobile and ATV enthusiasts. Tourisme Lanaudière, in partnership with its members, is investing more than $130,000 annually in the promotion of snowmobiling and ATV-ing, with estimated economic benefits to the region of $80 million annually.

Source: http://www.lanaudiere.ca/en/medias/item/251/snowmobiling-and-atv-ing-to-go-ahead-in-lanaudiere-this-winter

So actually, those 1500kms will be able to connect to the west to Laurentide area (Macaza direction), to the north to Senneterre/Parent and to the east in Mauricie direction to rivière Mattawin and laTuque. They actually estimate that we should have at least 4000kms of connected trails accessible from here.

Those are the last news I've found. We all hope that the farmers blockade finished soon but if we figure to start the season with it, this the picture at this moment.

I keep you inform when I have more details...

Alain

Thanks for the update Alain. It sounds like the trails that close in Lanaudiere are going to impact you and your friends the most, as the trails more to the south are most impacted. Hopefully an agreement will be reached so the quebecois from those areas don't have to trailer their sleds. As far as most of us from the states we usually trailer up past those areas to start.

Scooter I have a feeling when the snow comes and the trails start opening you will be able to find the trails that are closed on the fmcq site under the regional listings. It's a little too early to give up on a resolution yet.

Alain,

Thank you for the information, It would be good to see a trail (FMCQ interactive maybe?) map that would indicate where there is a problem with connectivity.

I am just picking up on the words from the above "throughout most of the region" and "can enjoy unimpeded use of many trails"

This knowledge would add confidence to the words from the tourism department.

Thank you for providing the most upto date reporting on the subject.

Schooter

Thanks Schooter, I really understand your point but Viper2 is right and it is still too soon. I am not sure we will be able to have a detailed intercative map with all the details before the trails opening (it is coming soon!!!) but yes, snowmobilers already asked for it. The trail condition web site of Lanaudiere will be for sure a good place to find details in the section "notice to users" http://www.lanaudiere.ca/en/theme/snowmobile/conditions.

What we know now is in Lanaudière, the natural geography make that the agricultural lands are grouped in the south near the St-Laurence river (where I live)and as soon as you get more to the north you are in the mountains and there are no more of them so you won't have connectivity prob in the north of Lanaudière, neither to go to Macaza, Parent, Senneterre or LaTuque. As soon as I get more confirmed details, I will give you thems...

Nice to read you again Viper2 !!!

Alain