Gaspe Loop - how are things?

arubenstein

Looking to drive to Montmagmy this Monday (1/24), and do a look to the TQ 5 loop out to Gaspe and back. Possible? Is all well?

i read earlier this week ,some guys went from montmagny to rdl by the tq 5 and tq 35.from nice to very nice.

then some from rdl to rimouski and rdl to amqui.did nt say which trails they used.

the problem right now could be between nouvelle and new richmond .bonaventure area was missing snow at some places.

sorry can t remember everything and i don t have time to make a search.just wake up and must go.i ll e mail a friend from carleton to know if they have received snow this week

groomer !!!

Looking to drive to Montmagmy this Monday (1/24), and do a look to the TQ 5 loop out to Gaspe and back. Possible? Is all well?

We are in Montmagny right now, tq35 and 551 where mint coming in last night, left from thetford. We are headed towards RDL this morning, snowing good as we speak. Hi groomer,unfortunatly we are only going as far as rdl before we head WEST. Will catch you in march. :drinks:

We rode from Matane to Albertville on Sunday the 16th lots of thin spots then Saint Anne des Monts for overnight. Lots of snow good trails. Riding to Riviere Renaud you hit lots of bare plowed roads. There are numerous wind farm construction operations. There are using Cat D8 dozers huge machines to plow. When they are done there is nothiong left and I mean nothing but rocks and more rocks. We tried to get to Perce but despite what the web shoes this link is broken. The trail ends due to a open river. There are no signs period. We used our GPS and rode the highway and found another trail but we came to a open river/stream. It was dark and we were not interested in getting wet. It looked to be a couple feet deep but the opposite side had a vertical bank 2-3 ft high. It looked like you would end up hooking a ski or getting stuck. We reversed course and went to Gaspe city.Again no signs and bare city streets. The guy in the hotel just stared at us with disbelief when we rode in on bare pavement. We rode through backyards and found a way onto a street then 1.5 km of completely bare pavement. The trail is normally on the bay but it isn't frozen this year. That was my first and last visit there. We also rode 595 to La Cache more plowed roads from logging companies this time. La Cache to Murdochville is excellent with some very big drifts to make it interesting. The groomer from New Richmond was parked in La Cache on the 17th waiting for snow as it is very thin heading to New Richmond but will improve with this new snow.

We rode SAM to Matane yesterday and found a world of powder from sea effect snow overnight. One word of caution the hotels are very full from the construction crews. We pulled into Mont St Pierre in the dark with one rider very ill and found no rooms everything was full. It took us 3 hrs to get to SAM in the dark on very poorly marked trails and blowing snow to complicate things. We had to take a suite as there were no normal rooms left and the hotel beside the Brunate is closed.

To sum things up we rode 903 miles on trails that ranged from 10/10 to garbage. We found basically no sleds on the trails with the exception of locals. It seems like most clubs have not even put their signs out yet. You can ride but don't expect normal Gaspesie conditions. Here is a pic of the TQ5 yesterday morning.

Andy

Great report I have a trip planned for Wed. 26. The web site QUEBECTRAILS.COM states that trail 5 is good in some place and excellent in others. Is it possible to make it around on trail 5.

Last week no however things will improve with new snow but the plowed trails and open rivers will remain.

andy

friend from carleton e mailed me back .6'' of fresh snow there from the last storm .he should take a ride tomorrow and tell me more news.

see you in march jackstraw !! :drinks:

snowing lightly right now.

groomer !!!

http://www.traversiers.gouv.qc.ca/ferries/matanebaie-comeaugodbout_19.php

on feb 24th and 27 th + march 10th and 13 th ,extra ''crossing '' will be added .

click where its written in red on the right side of the page .you ll see the hrs .french only.

groomer !!!

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have any recent updates on the conditions? I see Info Gaspe has most trails as "good". Is the southern shore passable on a multiple day saddle bag trip or not?

Any recent information would be very helpful and appreciated.

Thanks!

Does anyone have any recent updates on the conditions? I see Info Gaspe has most trails as "good". Is the southern shore passable on a multiple day saddle bag trip or not?

Any recent information would be very helpful and appreciated.

Thanks!

i read last week on the french forum that the worse places ,between carleton and new richmond ,dirt spots at some places.

just back from grooming ,saw about 25 sleds ,most of them going west.talked with a guy from mtl ,just forgot to ask him about the conditions .

groomer !!!

i read last week on the french forum that the worse places ,between carleton and new richmond ,dirt spots at some places.

just back from grooming ,saw about 25 sleds ,most of them going west.talked with a guy from mtl ,just forgot to ask him about the conditions .

groomer !!!

just read on the french forum ,a guy from matane,an elderly person, made the loop last week .he said ,in general trails are good.carleton-nouvelle ,it s thin ,but rideable .

...and don t forget ,there s no more gas in cross point ,at the inter-provincial motel,just next to road 132.

groomer !!!

Thanks! Looking to start a 1 week ride on Feb 27th so there is still time for things to improve. My last trip there was in 2005.

started snowing about half an hr after i posted .about 1'' +,right now.-3c

groomer !!!

A group of use are heading to the Gaspe on the 23rd to do the loop for the first time. I had a look at the conditions that were posted last week and they were listed as excellent for most of the way around! I see now that they have been down graded to good. So I guess my question is that with this new snow that was recived last week and the snow on the way do you think that they will improve enough to be listed as excellent again buy middle of next week?

Thanks

A group of use are heading to the Gaspe on the 23rd to do the loop for the first time. I had a look at the conditions that were posted last week and they were listed as excellent for most of the way around! I see now that they have been down graded to good. So I guess my question is that with this new snow that was recived last week and the snow on the way do you think that they will improve enough to be listed as excellent again buy middle of next week?

Thanks

I'd bet on them changing to Excellent again as they get the new snow groomed. Forecasts predict a bunch this weekend.