Trip Report

Sled Dog

Followed advice from Midrange and left from Maniwaki. Glad we did!

Day 1. 338 miles.

Our goal was to ride the Chibougami trail. We 4 people who were very capable riders that don't mind long rides. It was not to be. We left Maniwaki at -28f. Took 13/63/13/319 to Mekoos for lunch. At this point, we realized Clova was too far for us to make comfortably, so we made reservations at Kanawata. Trails at this point were hard. Maniwaki to Mekoos needs snow. Totally ridable, but with the cold temps the trails were very hard. Great job grooming with what they had but the trails were not the typical Quebec ones. We expected that though with the lack of snow. We left Mekoos for Repos. Arrived at Repos for fuel around 5:30. They were full so we couldn't stay there. So on to Kanawata! Absolutely could not find the trail (369). We had asked at Repos and were told, go 10 k down 345, there is a left and its signed. Could not find it. We actually rode some staked lakes for quite a while and ended up back at Repos. Very frustrating. We then headed South. At this point, we just wanted a place to stay. Signage in that area was not very good at all. We came to many intersections that were groomed with no signs. We ended up going to Canadaventure, they had no fuel as we were low now but they sent us on to Lake Taureau. Very nice place! 8:30 at this point. I've ridden Quebec many times and the signage in that area is not good. Maybe because of winters late start?

Day 2. 295 miles.

Left Lake Taureau and headed up 33. We were going to try to find 369 again. Maybe in the light we could find it. Nope! Decided to head to Clova by way of 33/13/83. then some Canadians pulled up. They were headed up north of Casey so were also going to take 369. Great, we'll follow you! Same thing, no signage. They were both puzzled at every intersection we came to. Finally, we came to one that said, 369!!! And it was the best trail so far! Perfectly groomed with some snow on top! Outstanding! Headed to Clova. 83 was perfect. Stayed at Hotel Tamarac. Talked with new owners for a while. They've only been open for 3 weeks. Very nice people and I wish them luck. They have a great attitude.

Day 3. 255 miles.

Left Hotel Tamarac and headed to Balbazard for fuel. They have a fox that's been there all winter. Pretty cool! Left there for Lake Faillon. Decided to stay there. But rode to Seneterre for fuel and just to keep riding. Only ones in Lake Faillon. The devestation from the fire is still amazing to see. I would not want to travel those trails in a snowstorm or after one.

Day 4. 295 miles.

Clova to Mekoos. Took the private trail. VERY FAST! Got fuel at the loggers relay station. They had just finished grading a bridge. The groomer had been there, we saw it on the trail, and I give the guy a lot of credit. He groomed the side of the road as best he could. Could not have been fun!

Day 5. 120 miles.

Left Mekoos on 319/local trail/322/63 into Maniwaki and back to truck. Trails around Maniwaki much better! They got a little snow and it made a big difference! Back home by 7:30.

Great trip. Most miles I've ever done. 06 Yamaha Attak ended the trip with 15,800 miles. It has 1 more Quebec trip left this winter and then she will be retired!

post-278-025723600 1296343278_thumb.jpg

post-278-002684500 1296343336_thumb.jpg

post-278-003896600 1296343428_thumb.jpg

post-278-008079900 1296343508_thumb.jpg

post-278-050218000 1296343538_thumb.jpg

Nice report! I like the pic with the fox. Sorry to hear you had a hard time finding the 369.Up until last year they used to groom in the ditch if you left Repos and went east along the road. This trail was never very good but wasn't real long either (maybe 8 miles) then you got to a nice trail that took you to Chateuvert. They were right in sending you down 345 but it is alot more than 10 kms. Usually when they have the trail set up that way 345 meets 369 just before dam Gilardo.If I had to guess though I would say that is probably more like 15-20 miles from Repos. Sounds like you had a great trip otherwise though good to hear some reports. :good:

Thanks for sharing Rich.Good mileage and no breakdowns.You can't ask for more :drinks:

Look like another storm will miss Québec again this week.The more I get closer to my trip,the more it looks like we may do the big loop up to Chibougamau again.3rd year in a row

Storm is supposed to hit us. As weird as it sounds, I can only hope!!

Is doing the Chibougamau loop a bad thing? Or are you guys looking for something different?

Storm is supposed to hit us. As weird as it sounds, I can only hope!!

Is doing the Chibougamau loop a bad thing? Or are you guys looking for something different?

Roberval-Chibougamau-Senneterre is great in terms of trail Quality.Would like to ride different trails but the closer you get to the st-lawrence river...less snow.We'll make a decision once we are in Roberval.Might get a good dump of snow til then.

Btw next time you leave from Maniwaki towards Ste-Anne du lac, take the 322(eastern side of Baskatong) then local trail.Much less traffic and always in good shape(my 2 cents)

Roberval-Chibougamau-Senneterre is great in terms of trail Quality.Would like to ride different trails but the closer you get to the st-lawrence river...less snow.We'll make a decision once we are in Roberval.Might get a good dump of snow til then.

Btw next time you leave from Maniwaki towards Ste-Anne du lac, take the 322(eastern side of Baskatong) then local trail.Much less traffic and always in good shape(my 2 cents)

We took the local trail and then 322 on our way back to Maniwaki. Your right, it was pretty good.

Have you ridden the Gaspe? Some trailering for you but totally worth it. A lot different than your area.