Reservoir Gouin Trip Report

Trailblazer

Day 1

Four of us got off on our way from the Cabanon 9:00 am, we were told it was 220klms to Kanawata from Cabanon and to stop for fuel at Lac du Repos 140klms. I asked about Chateauvert for fuel, they told me they were not reliable sometimes they're open sometimes not, with that being said and 3 out of 4 of us had 12 1/2 litre spare tanks on board we opted for Kanawata direct. To our surprise Chatauvert was open so we bought gas, this allowed us now to go straight up to Pourvoirie Barrage Gouin and not have to do the 12klm detour into Kanawata. We noticed a second trail on the map leading up to the reservoir from the 83, a dead end trail and we also saw a sign for Escapade pointing towards Parent and not up the trail for Barrage Gouin at the intersection on the 83 for Barrage Gouin. We asked about that at the outfitter and they told us that the trail no longers passes by Escapade on your way up to Obedjiwan and that dead end trail leading off of the 83 goes to Escapade. In at 4:30

Day 2

We left at 9 am and crossed the Reservoir Gouin up to Obedjiwan Indian reserve, this leg of the loop was 100klms of riding on the reservoir,islands and points of trails we're not quite used to riding on, ungroomed single lane pathes, never the less they weren't too bad, alittle tight in some spots but passable. In Obedjiwan i was told there is a linking trail leading into Chapais, it was open last year but not yet this year due to lack of snow and one river they were having trouble with. On my next to do list. Pourvoirie Martin from Obedjiwan was 50klms of very very sweet lake riding, all lake and very quick down to him. He is the last of lake riding it's all land into Clova and very well groomed. In Clova while having lunch i had the pleasure of meeting Revct aswell recieved some information from a gent that had just come up the Lepine road. He highly recommended to choose an alternate route to head south from Clova as the Lepene road had been plowed, sanded, gravelled, you name it. There are some side road trails but not good for the sled i was told. We therefore rode over to 100 Lacs, be prepared for fuel range it's a 200klm trek. We came in at 6:30.

Day 3

We left 100 Lacs around 9am at the same time as a group from France, both of our groups heading to Manawan, them by lakes with a guide and us via trail. We arrived to our amazement with in minutes of each at Manawan only to find out they had ran out fuel, so we all headed over to Lac du Repos for fuel and lunch. Then we took the 345 down to Cabanon, what a trail, was freshly groomed. Arrived at 4:30 loaded up and return to Montreal.

Our trip logged on 1100klms on our meters and we had very good temp condition -5c most of the time, trails were 9 out 10 except for trails south of 100 Lacs at intersection to JB Scott, from there into Manawan was very rough. Overcast for the whole 3 days so photos weren't there best. I'll try to post some pics when i can figure out how to.

ok just to let all of you know out there that the lepine trail does have a bit of a side trail, 10 km. however rob was out there 2 days ago and doozered the trail all the way to club gatineau. The trail is great, however a km 35 there is a side trail because of the bridge being repaired and the deviations returns to the trail at about km45 so not tooooo bad, and for those of you that have taken the lepine trail you know its well worth it.

the lepine trail is not a federated trail so go and have some fun.

snow white B)

Day 1

Four of us got off on our way from the Cabanon 9:00 am, we were told it was 220klms to Kanawata from Cabanon and to stop for fuel at Lac du Repos 140klms. I asked about Chateauvert for fuel, they told me they were not reliable sometimes they're open sometimes not, with that being said and 3 out of 4 of us had 12 1/2 litre spare tanks on board we opted for Kanawata direct. To our surprise Chatauvert was open so we bought gas, this allowed us now to go straight up to Pourvoirie Barrage Gouin and not have to do the 12klm detour into Kanawata. We noticed a second trail on the map leading up to the reservoir from the 83, a dead end trail and we also saw a sign for Escapade pointing towards Parent and not up the trail for Barrage Gouin at the intersection on the 83 for Barrage Gouin. We asked about that at the outfitter and they told us that the trail no longers passes by Escapade on your way up to Obedjiwan and that dead end trail leading off of the 83 goes to Escapade. In at 4:30

Day 2

We left at 9 am and crossed the Reservoir Gouin up to Obedjiwan Indian reserve, this leg of the loop was 100klms of riding on the reservoir,islands and points of trails we're not quite used to riding on, ungroomed single lane pathes, never the less they weren't too bad, alittle tight in some spots but passable. In Obedjiwan i was told there is a linking trail leading into Chapais, it was open last year but not yet this year due to lack of snow and one river they were having trouble with. On my next to do list. Pourvoirie Martin from Obedjiwan was 50klms of very very sweet lake riding, all lake and very quick down to him. He is the last of lake riding it's all land into Clova and very well groomed. In Clova while having lunch i had the pleasure of meeting Revct aswell recieved some information from a gent that had just come up the Lepine road. He highly recommended to choose an alternate route to head south from Clova as the Lepene road had been plowed, sanded, gravelled, you name it. There are some side road trails but not good for the sled i was told. We therefore rode over to 100 Lacs, be prepared for fuel range it's a 200klm trek. We came in at 6:30.

Day 3

We left 100 Lacs around 9am at the same time as a group from France, both of our groups heading to Manawan, them by lakes with a guide and us via trail. We arrived to our amazement with in minutes of each at Manawan only to find out they had ran out fuel, so we all headed over to Lac du Repos for fuel and lunch. Then we took the 345 down to Cabanon, what a trail, was freshly groomed. Arrived at 4:30 loaded up and return to Montreal.

Our trip logged on 1100klms on our meters and we had very good temp condition -5c most of the time, trails were 9 out 10 except for trails south of 100 Lacs at intersection to JB Scott, from there into Manawan was very rough. Overcast for the whole 3 days so photos weren't there best. I'll try to post some pics when i can figure out how to.

good to see you made it ok and had fun ,, shit trails in lachute area, have not passed the groomer yet , had problems with my sled as yamaha says maintance ,,,ha ,, lots of work while you were having fun...

ok just to let all of you know out there that the lepine trail does have a bit of a side trail, 10 km. however rob was out there 2 days ago and doozered the trail all the way to club gatineau. The trail is great, however a km 35 there is a side trail because of the bridge being repaired and the deviations returns to the trail at about km45 so not tooooo bad, and for those of you that have taken the lepine trail you know its well worth it.

the lepine trail is not a federated trail so go and have some fun.

snow white B)

We stopped at your place to say hi and have lunch on monday around 1:00, door was locked and saw no foot prints in the snow on the deck or in the parking, so we headed over to other place that sells gas to have lunch. Too bad, would have been nice to have met the folks at Tamarac.

Day 1

Day 2

Day 3

The gas at Chatauvert , is this on trail 369 ? and how far up from Repo ?

I believe it might be the 345 and possible the old 369 not 100% sure, anyways, Cabanon to Chateauvert was 160klms, Cabanon to Lac du Repos is 140klms. 30klms before Lac du Repos is the intersection heading up to Chateauvert, it could possible be in the neighborhood of 80klms from Lac du Repos to Chateauvert.

Hi Trailblazer,

It was good meeting you too at Clova. Trail 83 is getting better each year. I hope the trail at Weymontachie gets improved to the level of the rest of 83.

Glad to hear you had a great trip.

Jack & Sandi

Thanks alot Revct, i had followed your posts on the regional forums when i got back. Nice to see you had a great trip. I hope Tom was able to help you out with your new GPS. Around here he's the one everyone looks to when their navigational skills become questionable.

I believe it might be the 345 and possible the old 369 not 100% sure, anyways, Cabanon to Chateauvert was 160klms, Cabanon to Lac du Repos is 140klms. 30klms before Lac du Repos is the intersection heading up to Chateauvert, it could possible be in the neighborhood of 80klms from Lac du Repos to Chateauvert.

Thank's for the info !

We stopped at your place to say hi and have lunch on monday around 1:00, door was locked and saw no foot prints in the snow on the deck or in the parking, so we headed over to other place that sells gas to have lunch. Too bad, would have been nice to have met the folks at Tamarac.

sorry about that trailblazer, we are only a 2 person operations and in the afternoon we take the time to clean up the rooms and prepare meals. I sure hope to see you next time and if you let me know ahead of time i will be more than happy to make you some lunch

sonw white.. ;)