milage from Rimouski to Thetford Mines??

nowa

Hi Nowa,

Its a long day. I don't know how many miles but we do Riviere du Loup to Lac Etchemin in a comfortable day. You have a couple of hours before and after that part of the ride.

Rimouski to Riviere du Loup is about 75 miles of fast trail 5. Once near Riviere du Loup, head for 35 the railroad bed. If it is fresh, you can make a lot of time there.

From the end of the railbed on 35 where you intersect with 75 is where it is going to get slower. There are some local trails that will cut across Tring Junction but I haven't been on them. Staying on 35 thru St Marie is usually slow and beat up, 4 wheelers compete with the trails in some places.

Maybe someone else knows the quickest way from the 35 / 75 intersection to Thetford Mines.

Jack

Was just there last week. TQ5 is a much nicer ride than 35. Not as fast, but riding rail trails all day long is pretty boring. We went from RDL to Thetford Mines on 5 to 540. Left at 9:00, were at the hotel by 5:00. You can make great time on the 5 trail.

My buddy that flies up from Charlotte NC to ride QC with me found that site early this year after noticing that site seemed to be the source for others such as the FCMQ site. We started using it and became hooked. Probably gonna add a Macbook Air or cheapo netbook to my gear for next year just to use it when we can find wifi. We are not as experienced in QC as a lot of others and the search for snow always sends us to unknown locations where we need to find services, not to mention the right trail. It can be used on an iPad and iPhone but its very tedious so I am looking for a Solid State Drive netbook for next season. We used it this year to plot our way from Magog, into C-A, and back. It was fun to make a trip with 8 sleds and no reservations!

I did not choose the routes on the link, I just quickly set the start and finish point Nowa specified and pasted the link in the thread. I am not familiar with that area but I understand you can make some good time up there - fast trails.

Just wondering if this would be an easy day ride or crazy far! FCMQ interactive map was driving me crazy! Thanks

Nowa, depending on your riding ability it can be crazy as well as doable. When me and 3 other buddies did Gaspe about 6 years ago we started from Thetford Mines and went to Rimouski in one day. It's between 375-400 miles. The thing that stunk for us is it was about -30 below zero without the windchill. We left Thetford about 8:30 and didn't arrive at Hotel Rimouski till close to 11pm. There was a Forestry guy in the lobby at the hotel who spoke english and couldn't believe we were out riding let alone coming from Thetford. We were hitting 5-10 foot drifts which slowed us down the last 100 miles. With limited stops the trails are pretty fast especially on Trail 35 past St. Marie which are railbeds that you can easily average 75 miles per hour. We then head north on Trail 551 (I believe) up to Montmagmy and get on Trail 5. From Riviere Du Loup to Rimouski the trails are pretty fast as well. I'll admit that we thought it would be an easy ride and I believe it would have been except we had to make more stops than normal to warm up. In fact the gauntlets I now have on my sled are a reminder of that trip since I bought them at the Polaris dealer on Trail 5 in Riviere Du Loup. As you can imagine hand warmers don't warm up in those kind of temperatures. If you do decide to do the trip hit me back and let me know how your adventure was.

I will let you know how we make out Brian. Planning on leaving Derby Vt monday am heading to St Georges. Tuesday taking 55 to either RDL or Rimouski. Wednesday heading to Thetford mines On 5 and 35 from where ever we make it to (RDL or Rimouski). My new motor should be broke in by then!!! Thursday back to Derby Vt.

Edited by nowa

Just wondering if this would be an easy day ride or crazy far! FCMQ interactive map was driving me crazy! Thanks

Nowa, depending on your riding ability it can be crazy as well as doable. When me and 3 other buddies did Gaspe about 6 years ago we started from Thetford Mines and went to Rimouski in one day. It's between 375-400 miles. The thing that stunk for us is it was about -30 below zero without the windchill. We left Thetford about 8:30 and didn't arrive at Hotel Rimouski till close to 11pm. There was a Forestry guy in the lobby at the hotel who spoke english and couldn't believe we were out riding let alone coming from Thetford. We were hitting 5-10 foot drifts which slowed us down the last 100 miles. With limited stops the trails are pretty fast especially on Trail 35 past St. Marie which are railbeds that you can easily average 75 miles per hour. We then head north on Trail 551 (I believe) up to Montmagmy and get on Trail 5. From Riviere Du Loup to Rimouski the trails are pretty fast as well. I'll admit that we thought it would be an easy ride and I believe it would have been except we had to make more stops than normal to warm up. In fact the gauntlets I now have on my sled are a reminder of that trip since I bought them at the Polaris dealer on Trail 5 in Riviere Du Loup. As you can imagine hand warmers don't warm up in those kind of temperatures. If you do decide to do the trip hit me back and let me know how your adventure was.

We were there last week. 5, 35 and 55 were all good except for about a 40mi section of 5 on either side of Montmagny. Brian's mileage estimate is pretty close. We have left outside St Georges and gone to RDL in a day and it was about 260mi. It is another another 40mi+ to TM and then 80-100 to Rimouski from RDL from so depending on what time you left TM, you would be several hours after dark.

Could it be done? Maybe. Should you really do it? Probably not - and here's why:

1) You have no idea what conditions you are going to find. I have seen all of the trails discussed in this thread vary from tabletop to truly awful at various times - and that includes TQ35. To say you can easily average 75 miles per hour - even on the RR beds - (in my opinion) is crazy because to average that speed you will have to go even faster. There are road crossings and bridges on 35 and (my opinion again) going that fast is an accident waiting to happen. I have seen both deer and moose on 35 too so call me a sissy but I think if you are going over 60 I'll just pray for you and leave it at that. You also will likely encounter radar on TQ5 anywhere between RDL + Rimouski. We have seen them almost everytime we've come through there and that seems to be a favorite for them.

2) Many gas stations in the smaller towns close around 6PM and you are going to need to stop at one or more of these to be able to make this trip. Also, FYI some of the clubhouses are closing early and may not be serving food during the week - or only serving for reduced hours.

Good luck. Be safe

Vt_blue, Thanks for the reply. I must be getting wiser, not just older, because your points have already crossed my mind :good: !!! We would do it heading north to south so fuel would be available but riding fast after dark has already proven dangerous to both me and a buddy. Last year I hit a deer at 70 mph and a couple years before that my buddy hit 1 at much faster than that!! Neither of us were hurt but easily could have been killed!! If we do make it to Rimouski on tuesday where can we spend wednesday night and still make it to Derby Vt on thursday by say 4pm?? Thanks to all of you again. This site is the Best!!

Planing a 400 mile day is, um, not smart. Some winters, some conditions, some riders, maybe. But this winter, this time of the year, um, nope. And I have a fair amount of 400 miles days under my belt. You want to have fun, enjoy the day, and not just shoveling in as many $1.30 liters of gas through as you can.