2011 ride report

182ray

1/19/11

Left home at 1:30 pm destination Plattsburgh, NY. Packing & loading right up to the last minute. Note to self, start earlier next year

1/20/11

Arrived at the H.I. 1:30 pm. good driving all the way. Checked into the room went down to unload the sled see Mikerider, DRCoffin & Brandon. We all suit up & go for a late afternoon ride.

1/21/11 to 1/30/11

Since our original plans to saddlebag was scrapped due to poor conditions along our route we ride out of the H.I. Not a lot of snow around the H.I. but great riding overall. Rode daily with Saguenay Bill, Farmerold, Mikerider, DRCoffin, Brandon & Willys1 to name a few. Most days were VERY cold but very sunny. Received practically no measureable snow.

1/31/11

Mikerider drops me at the Quebec City airport on his way back home. I catch a flight home. Left everything I own related to snowmobiling including my Tahoe & trailer at the H.I. The drive home is 12 hours one way, I wanted to try the flight home. 1.5 hours to Newark, NJ very nice.

2/6/11

My wonderful wife drops me at the Newark airport for the flight back to Quebec City. I have arraigned for Mikerider to pick me up on his way back to the H.I. Everything goes as planned & we arrive mid afternoon. We enjoy a nice meal with Bill & Jule Dele & watch the Packers trounce the Steelers!

2/7 & 2/8/11

We ride the Saguenay trails with Bill

2/9/11

Mike & I start our saddlebag trip. First day's destination Chibougamau. We get an early start due to the long distance. All trails are perfect but we don't break our record of 3 hours to La Dore. We miss by 18 minutes. After a short coffee break at the gas station we're off again. Neither one of us is looking forward to the next section of trail but we both agree afterward it wasn't as bad as we remembered. We gas up at the sawmill, next stop the relais. The relais is now staffed by 2 people, one who speaks English. He informs us of a hockey tournament in Chibougamau & the scarcity of rooms. He then proceeds to call The Hotel Chibougamau & books us a room. Very helpful. Soon after leaving the relais we encounter not 1 but 2 wolves along the trail. They looked to be at least 100 lbs & very healthy. Since Mike had been taking pictures I let him handle this shot. I reminded him over the communicators I didn't have to out run the wolves I just had to out run him! 267 miles 7.7 hours trails 83-83-373-93

2/10/11

We knew it was going to cold this morning but I don't think anything can prepare you for -37c! We intend to get an early start but my sled has other ideas. As soon as I hit the start button I knew I was in trouble. The brand new battery in my brand new sled would barely turn the over the engine! Usually this would not be a big deal but this year Ski-Doo decided not install a pull start on the 800 etech. So out comes the emergency rope start. Having never done this before there is a learning curve. We get the technique down but the sled will not start. I have to resort to the Farmerold dead sled starting method. I use Mike's $7,200 sled to jump start my $12,500 sled. That's called a Farmerold! I'm going to order 2 ground service plugs, 1 for Farmerold & 1 for me. After nearly 2 hours we're on the trail & it's COLD. We have a delicious breakfast at the Chapais club house. Next is the famous rail bed. There is some rerouting near the Chapais end but it's not long before we're cruising down the rail bed. We were fore warned that the gas station at Miquelon has limited hours & we arrive with minutes to spare. Our lunch stop is Lebel-sur-Quevillon. We arrive in Amos about 5pm & stay at the Auberge since the Amosphere claims they are booked full. 278 miles 6.0 hours trail 93

2/11/11

We're out on the trail before sun up & it's as cold as the previous morning. We arrive in Taschereau frozen solid. Thankfully we spot O'Brien's Pub, not quite sure it's open but we walk in anyway. Yes they are open & we get the "you guys are crazy to be out in such cold weather stares". The owner's father speaks English & we enjoy another great breakfast. We not in any hurry to get back on the trail but when we do somehow it doesn't feel as cold. Before long we're on the rail bed into Ontario. Up until now the trails have been flawless, but the Ontario end of the rail bed is rough. I try to reassure myself that it can't be that bad as I'm going about 50 mph, but since our usual speed on this trail is 70 mph + I am having a tough time with this. I pull over and have a trail side conference with Mike. Keep pushing on or turn back? After 30 minutes of "what do you want to do, I don't care what do you want to do" the decision is made to keep pushing on. The trail eventually smoothes out & we're in Cochrane by mid afternoon. We decide to make this our short day & walk around town checking out the preparations going on for their winter carnival. 191 miles 4.8 hours trails 93-396-A105Q

2/12/11

Today our destination is Hearst. We've been as far west as Smooth Rock Falls & we're looking forward to seeing what's next. We're not disappointed! The trails are wide, flat & fast! We're in Hearst by mid afternoon & check into the Companion Motel. We drop our bags in the room & ride trail A about 1 hour west. Trail A parallels Highway 11 west of Hearst & it was cool to race the truckers. We spoke to some locals about continuing west & found out that would not be feasible this year. Cochrane to Hearst 178 miles 4.3 hours

Total for the day 266 miles 6.2 hours trail A

2/13/11

We start back east today & decide to take the secondary trail. As is usually the case the secondary trail is as good as the main trail, maybe better. On the way west we passed a town called Moonbeam & decide to make that our breakfast stop. Boy did we make the right choice today! The restaurant was having their Valentine's Day breakfast buffet. It was delicious. We asked the owner & his wife what's the story behind the town's name but they didn't know. After pigging out it was tough to get back on the sleds but of course we do. Our destination is Kirkland Lake. At dinner we asked the waitress where the lake in Kirkland Lake is. She informs us that it was drained for mining. 308 miles 7.6 hours trails A-L123-A108Q

2/14/11

Up until now we have not ridden in a snow storm. That all changes today as it's snowing, blowing & drifting. The drifting is the hardest part as we are now into more open farm land. We make it to New Liskeard, run the river onto the lake & start to follow the "tree" trail. My GPS confirms the tree trail is the trail & we follow it. But of course the trees end & now I'm following the GPS trail. We make it off the lake safely & cross back into Quebec. Rouyn-Noranda is today's destination. 188 miles forgot to get the hours.

Trails 108-108Q-A-L184-83

2/15/11

We leave Rouyn-Noranda with no set destination for the day. We follow 93 to Duparquet where we have breakfast. In Galichan we leave 93 for the local trail to La Sarre. Then it's on 396 through Beaucanton, then the local trail through Val-Paradis, Villebois, and Chazel. In La Sarre we take 93 east. We haven't gassed up since Dupuy but I'm not concerned because we'll pass through Taschereau, our new favorite town. We stop again at our favorite Irish pub in north western Quebec O'Brian's for coffee. Today there's no one that speaks English & apparently Taschereau doesn't have a gas station. Thankfully we find gas in Launay & we're on way to Amos. Once again we try to get a room at the Amosphere but again they claim they're full at 3:30 pm on a Tuesday afternoon. They are kind enough to call the Auberge for us & book a room. 249 miles 6.9 miles Trails 93-local-396

2/16/11

The weather man is forecasting warm & rain for Friday. We decide to start back to the H.I. Today's destination is Chibougamau. The trails are wide, fast & flat. By noon we're in Miquelon, buy gas & have coffee with 2 other sledders from Quebec. Then it's off to the Chapais club house where we learn once again rooms may be scarce in Chibougamau.

The Nordic & Hotel Chibougamau is full but we're told to go to the Harricana. Apparently they open the Harricana when the other hotels are full. We get a room & retire for the night. 275 miles - 5.8 hours - trail 93

2/17/11

Up & out early for the big ride back to the H.I. Have a delicious breakfast at the relais & we're back out on the trail. It's warming up today & it's good to be riding in more moderate temperatures. The ride is uneventful & we arrive at the H.I. right as Bill, Snomo Gary & Snow Mouse Pat are pulling into the sled corral. It's great to be back home". 266 miles 7 hours trails 93-373-83-383

Total trip mileage 2,290 almost all trails perfect with no sled problems.

2/18/11

It's warm & raining. We take a well deserved day off.

2/19/11

My # 1 riding partner was supposed to fly into Quebec City today but because of high winds the flight is canceled. I ride with Bill, Jack & Sandy.

2/20/11

I drive in my Tahoe to Quebec City to pick up my # 1 partner. No weather related issues today, flight arrives on time.

2/21/11 through 2/24/11

We ride the Saguenay trails with Bill, Jack, Sandy, Gary, Pat, James & Duncan. The latter 4 are from England so of course become known as the fab 4.

2/25/11

I'm convinced by my riding partner I'm worn out & need a day off. I half heartily agree. I really can't put up much of an argument since I have ridden 26 days for a total of 5,700 miles. We have a great time just hanging around the H.I. We get to watch Bill get interviewed by the local TV station.

2/26/11

The convoy of Jack & Sandy, Bill & JuleDele & us get an early start as we are all headed home

It's been a truly wonderful season enjoying the sport I love. The friends I have met are the best. I owe a huge thank-you to all the clubs & volunteers for all their countless hours of hard work & dedication to maintain the excellent trail systems we are privileged to ride on. And of course none of this would be possible without the land owners who are gracious enough to grant us access to their land.

Edited by 182ray

We get the technique down but the sled will not start.
It was me standing next to you watching the technique, it looked painful in the cold. My etec barely started then also, but I also had a pull start installed at the beginning of the season. It was nice ot meet you even if it was a short visit.

Nice report Ray, good to be reminded of great times. Thanks for giving me the chance to try your sled out - boy does it go - brilliant. Our Flights already booked and paid for, for next year, so we are looking forward to some overnights with you and your #1 Riding partner (who ever that turns out to be!) Have a great summer, will be in touch via e-mail.

Gary

2/15/11

We leave Rouyn-Noranda with no set destination for the day. We follow 93 to Duparquet where we have breakfast. In Galichan we leave 93 for the local trail to La Sarre. Then it's on 396 through Beaucanton, then the local trail through Val-Paradis, Villebois, and Chazel. In La Sarre we take 93 east. We haven't gassed up since Dupuy but I'm not concerned because we'll pass through Taschereau, our new favorite town. We stop again at our favorite Irish pub in north western Quebec O'Brian's for coffee. Today there's no one that speaks English & apparently Taschereau doesn't have a gas station. Thankfully we find gas in Launay & we're on way to Amos. Once again we try to get a room at the Amosphere but again they claim they're full at 3:30 pm on a Tuesday afternoon. They are kind enough to call the Auberge for us & book a room. 249 miles 6.9 miles Trails 93-local-396

3/16/11

The weather man is forecasting warm & rain for Friday. We decide to start back to the H.I. Today's destination is Chibougamau. The trails are wide, fast & flat. By noon we're in Miquelon, buy gas & have coffee with 2 other sledders from Quebec. Then it's off to the Chapais club house where we learn once again rooms may be scarce in Chibougamau.

Hi Ray. Great year but I didn't know we rode in March? Or am I missing something?

Check your dates! :lol:

Jack & Sandi :drinks: